Monday, November 07, 2011

Isn't it the truth...

Every now and then an XKDC comic strip comes along that is just so 'real world' that it makes you stop and laugh out loud.

Like this one did for me.

How many times have I seen a complex, convoluted, hardly (or not at all) working bit of software - software that does just one, maybe two things - but is capable of being the OS, the database, and every program ever written if necessary.  Just in case.

I guess that is why I'm still a Unix fan after all of these years.  A big collection of very very specific tools that can be used together to do pretty much anything.


Although - there are two sides to every coin I guess...  Sometimes (not often) - simple can be wrong too.  It depends.

POST A COMMENT

6 Comments:

Anonymous Sokrates said....

"...simple can be wrong too..."

I disagree - the specification there was wrong, not the solution

Mon Nov 07, 09:33:00 AM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

@Sokrates

touché

Mon Nov 07, 09:35:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Oratabler said....

XKCD is supremely funny!

I love this one too: http://xkcd.com/327/.

Mon Nov 07, 10:23:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Sokrates said....

:-)
this one reminds me of an anecdote about the great German dramaturgist Berthold Brecht, who - as a schoolboy - had to write an essay over the theme "What draws us to the mountains?".
He was expected to fill several pages about the beauty of the mountains and man's eternal quest to conquer the lofty peaks.

The schoolwork took him only one minute to finish and his essay consisted of exactly two words "die Seilbahn" ("funicular railways" in English).

I never saw a software solution which was beautiful and "good" and was not the simplest way to solve the problem.

Mon Nov 07, 11:49:00 AM EST  

Blogger Byte64 said....

XKCD remembers me of Dilbert.

It was amazing how well Dilbert's jokes fitted to the company where I was working at the time and the pointed-hair boss was indeed a clone of mine (hair style inclusive).

Mon Nov 07, 05:22:00 PM EST  

Blogger Magnus said....

The alt text is what makes this strip memorable for me.....

"I find that when someone's taking time to do something right in the present, they're a perfectionist with no ability to prioritize, whereas when someone took time to do something right in the past, they're a master artisan of great foresight."

This is the real dilemma!

Wed Nov 09, 05:40:00 AM EST  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home