Thursday, September 08, 2011

45 years ago...

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

It was 45 years ago today that those words were broadcast. One of my favorite TV series (Enterprise was probably my personal favorite of all of the genres) of all times.

I enjoyed reading this list of eight gadgets from Star Trek that made it into 'real life'. I never realized that the StarTAC from Motorola was named after Star Trek - that is sort of neat. I remember many years back, Verizon came into Oracle in Virginia to try to sell our division on a new phone plan. My manager and a coworker were there and the Verizon person asked us what type of phone we used. My manager had an AT&T phone that was pretty fancy for the time - he could walk up to his computer and the blue tooth would unlock it automatically. My coworker had an early Palm phone - it could do data and web and all. Mine - it was a Star TAC - I flipped it out and said "I can make phone calls with it". The guy from Verizon said "yeah, well the Smithsonian just called and they want your phone" (I got a new phone shortly after... A Palm phone, I used it for years).

Anyway - the list of things that were "Star Trek worthy" but are now real is longer than eight - but that blog post is fun to read. But as I wrote a while ago - and as someone commented on that post - we still need transporters!

POST A COMMENT

4 Comments:

OpenID uhesse said....

Definitely the greatest TV Series of all times, if you ask me! Kirk & Spock were my childhood heroes!
Oh man, how long ago is that...
Live long and prosper, Star Trek!

Fri Sep 09, 07:34:00 AM EDT  

OpenID mwidlake said....

Hi Tom,

Star Trek is not a TV entertainment series, it is a documentary sent back in time :-)

Of course, looking back though 45 years of hindsight, one wonders why those communicators did not have little web cams on them so the ship could see what was going on down on the planet?
I'm off back to the lab to breed up some tribbles...

Fri Sep 09, 08:34:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Lucian said....

Live long and prosper, fellow Oracle trekkie :)

Thu Sep 15, 03:00:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

Secret government conspiracy covers up Enterprise on Earth.

word: ovein

Fri Sep 16, 07:51:00 PM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home