Thursday, December 16, 2010

Well said...

I have nothing to add to this...

Well said.


Anonymous Anonymous said....

Yes, very well said indeed, thanks for the link Tom

- gord irish

Thu Dec 16, 11:37:00 AM EST  

Blogger al0 said....

Yes, very sad indeed, thanks for the link Tom.

Thu Dec 16, 05:03:00 PM EST  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

From the previous Why I Do Not Use ORM post:

" allow for implementing business logic... the best permforming and safest method is to use triggers."

word: gorprays

Fri Dec 17, 06:01:00 PM EST  

Blogger KenDowns said....


If I were to rewrite that today I would say, " allow for implementing 2nd Order Business Logic, triggers provide the tightest possible encapsulation of code and data."

My use of the term "best performing" means, for the same amount of disk activity, the fewest round trips, though I am sure that was not clear in the original post.

My use of the term "safest" means least subvertible. While a super-user can always do anything he wants, if he is following the rule not to use a super-user account for regular access, he can actually directly manipulate the data at the console and not frack up the biz rules.

But even as a trigger hawk I would never code a single trigger manually. IMHO they can express far more power than most people appreciate, but only if generated, so that dependencies can be properly sequenced.

Thu Jan 06, 08:56:00 PM EST  

Blogger KenDowns said....

Tom, thanks very much for the very flattering link. I continue to receive more hits from your blog day over day than any other source. You must have the most widely read blog in the database world.

If you ever feel so inclined, drop me a line at, would love to argue^H^H^H^H^H discuss triggers with you.

Thu Jan 06, 08:58:00 PM EST  


<< Home