Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Sometimes...

Every now and then, you read something that makes you go "huh".

I was answering some questions on asktom today and had one about a CSV (comma separated values) file. Thought I would point the person to the 'specification' for that file format and the first searching I did turned this up (from a forum)

Perhaps I misunderstand the question because I'm not sure what
"format" and "escape" characters are.

However, to my knowledge, CSV files are nothing more than ascii text
files, which means the font is courier and 12 pt.
The emphasis is mine - a CSV file is just a file where the text is in 12pt courier! That is so simple.

Sometimes, you read something and it just makes you laugh out loud...
POST A COMMENT

15 Comments:

Anonymous Greg said....

The ignorance of some people is astounding

Tue Aug 04, 03:37:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Flado said....

Yeah, just got a similar moment myself:
http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/your_next_boss/

Tue Aug 04, 03:37:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous fasteddie said....

What font should delimited files be in?

;-)

Tue Aug 04, 04:01:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Noons said....

Hey, I once got asked to use a blinking font for the printer!

Tue Aug 04, 06:28:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Scott said....

Only if its from Linux or UNIX; otherwise, it's 12 point Courier New. Duh! :)

- Scott -

Tue Aug 04, 06:54:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Interesting, since 2004 no one has actually answered that question to claim the $5.

Tue Aug 04, 08:33:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Nuts! All of mine are TNR 10 so I'll be spending all day reformatting them!

Thanks. :-D

Bill S.

Wed Aug 05, 08:12:00 AM EDT  

Blogger JLW said....

Dang no wonder my wingdings 10pt csv file is not importing properly!!

Wed Aug 05, 01:58:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Scott Wesley said....

Has anyone ever wondered where some of the strange font names come from?!

Wed Aug 05, 10:18:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous tomas said....

Good post!! I like your posting...

Thu Aug 06, 07:17:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Sidhu said....

Hey, I once got asked to use a blinking font for the printer!

:)) too good...

Thu Aug 06, 01:52:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous David Aldridge said....

I worked with some people a while ago who would ask for flat files from other systems' administrators by requesting that they be "in Notepad format". That really helped our credibility.

Sun Aug 09, 04:29:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Tim R said....

They're usually in 6pt Courier if they are compressed files.

Tue Sep 15, 08:21:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

@Tim R

very funny :) I liked that a lot

Tue Sep 15, 08:36:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous ian carney said....

will the file be smaller if I use 8pt text?

Tue Sep 22, 09:03:00 AM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home