Monday, March 09, 2009

Very good advice...

I've been reading Seth Godin's blog for many years.  He is a 'marketing' person, with a lot of good old fashioned common sense.  I agree with most of what he writes - and he just did a longish post (for Seth Godin it was long).  It was on Slack.

His two points in these unique times - if you find yourself unexpectedly with more free time than you had anticipated you should consider:

a) Continuing your education, learn something new.  As you go to interview and look around, people will ask you what you've been doing with your time.  If you can arrive at an interview with "I've been learning X in my free time" and be really excited about it - be able to converse about it, that'll be a really positive thing.

b) Participate - join the forums - become known.  I've said that myself many times in the past.


So think about that if you find you have more time on your hands than you anticipated having... Not bad ideas.  Even if you don't have a sudden abundance of free time - maybe find the time to do these two things..



Blogger HunterX said....

Thank You For Good Blog and Good idea.
If using this idea with ... IT + JOB...

It's difficult to learn something new... Because I'd like to learn many different Knowledges (Oracle DB have many things to lean). Perhaps I should to learn about time managing before.

If I don't want to learn I'll read forums and some blogs. that's good...

Maybe I should to use this idea with my life... "Learn Something New"... I like this word.
I hope i'll have some idea... with my life

Mon Mar 09, 01:16:00 PM EDT  

OpenID tylermuth said....

That was my advice to someone asking about APEX jobs on the APEX forum (link to post).

Mon Mar 09, 02:06:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom, Very good advice. I was able to relate myself to the free-time advise you mentioned. THanks, you only drove home the point. Actually, I will have to send this link to a good friend of mine as we had a whole lot of discussion about doing stuff in the free-time.

Also, if you could point to some genuine forums that will be great. Some of the forums I trolled across turned out to be a crap in the recent years.


Mon Mar 09, 07:38:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

@Kimmy -

probably, if I was just starting out today for a forum, it would be

others can chime in with their suggestions.

Tue Mar 10, 01:54:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Kevin Shidler said....

I totally agree with your advice. So much that I have 3 servers and a storage disk array in my garage. I have learned so many things on so many levels that I could not have learned in the corporate world, simply because corporations tend to segregate the IT staff into silos. I am always trying to find ways to expand how Oracle interacts with various components.

Great advice!

Tue Mar 10, 08:58:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous jay said....

Inspirational indeed Tom. I am always open to that idea. But whenever some time is freed up,it is invariably dedicated to my family ( coz my two year old son is too demanding) and with any left aside ,I hit the gym to burn the excess cals. Wish the day had 48 hours !!

Sun Mar 15, 10:52:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

If the day had 48 hours, you would live half a life :-)

Mon Mar 16, 09:30:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Muhammad said....


I would love to have you speak for Baton Rouge ORACLE Users group this year. Please email me back at and let me know if you would be able to make it happen. We had you speak in 2006 and would love to have you back.


Tue Mar 24, 11:46:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Jeff said....

What is this "free time" thing you speak of?

Mon Mar 30, 03:16:00 PM EDT  


<< Home