Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Second Day at Oracle OpenWorld...

My second day at OpenWorld is done, and for me, that is the end of OpenWorld.  I took a redeye back to the east coast last night.  Yesterday was my "very busy day", actually both Monday and Tuesday were as I tried to fit a weeks worth of OpenWorld into two days. 

Yesterday I had a morning keynote at the Develop conference.  It was a huge audience - that is always a bit un-nerving, especially given that it was the first time I was presenting the material (the topic was "How do you know what you know").  The feedback I got was pretty good - and I finished with five minutes to spare, which is so much better than running over.

After that, I met a friend for lunch and had a get together with a former coworker before my two afternoon sessions. 

The first afternoon session was a "no slide zone" presentation to a fairly packed house.  I did thirty minutes of monologue (with index cards - sort of the command line interface of presentation material).  The index cards were a visual part of the talk though - as it was a "top 11 things" show, after each "thing" I threw the card away (and am now just realizing I left the stage littered with cards - forgot to clean up...).  Doug Burns wrote about it here

I think I liked the "no slide zone" format for the most part.  To do a two day technical seminar - that format would not work, but to do a 30/45 minute presentation - it worked well.  After the monologue, we did questions and answers with the audience - which went very well.  The theatre crew was out in the audience with microphones and give aways(copies of my book or coupons for free E-Book versions if they didn't want to carry a real book around) for people asking questions.  So, instead of me trying to point and pick someone to ask a question - they were coordinated all over the audience and just went round and round.  In the end - every part of the audience got a good chance to ask something - and their microphones were already in hand without having to wait.  Very smooth.

My last talk of the day was in the Moscone Center - in a room that sat 1,083 people and was full.  After the talk, there was still a crowd - we spent about an hour after the talk doing an informal question and answer/meet and greet. 

After yesterday, I still wonder if I will ever not be nervous when speaking in a forum like that.  I spoke to some 2,000-2,500 people that day in three sessions.  Each one was scary.

After that - I was supposed to have gone to a group dinner event, but I was already an hour late for it - and it would have taken a while to get there.  Add to that the fact that after doing the three sessions and having the pure adrenalin rush that comes with them (and the corresponding crash afterwards) all I wanted to do was hide somewhere - which I did :)

POST A COMMENT

9 Comments:

Anonymous Doug Burns said....

I may only have ever done two sessions to small audiences on the same day, but I know exactly what you mean about that 'hiding' thing! ;-)

The session was great and good to see you again.

Wed Nov 14, 01:59:00 PM EST  

Blogger Patrick said....

Great talk at the Hilton. Thank you.
Patrick

Fri Nov 16, 10:46:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Madhu said....

Tom, could you share your technique how you conquer the 'urge to hide' and give presentation to large audiences ?

Fri Nov 16, 03:07:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

how you conquer the 'urge to hide'

No technique really. I just realize that for the first five minutes, I must

be
very
careful
to keep breathing

:) Lose your breath and it is all over.

Being able to give the talk while thinking about other things helps too - meaning - you know the material so well, you could do it in your sleep.

I have on occasion found myself thinking about something else while talking...

If you get to the point where you don't need to look at the screen at all and can deliver the material - there you go.

I have to really like the material too - I typically use only my own material - giving someone else's slides just does not work for me. Last time I did that (some material on the new release) I was not happy with the outcome. I ended up writing my own.

Fri Nov 16, 03:27:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Great presentation on 11g top features. Anywhere to download the presentation?

Sun Nov 18, 10:41:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

to download...

asktom.oracle.com -> files -> sort by created from big to small (current to older) and look for the oow2007 file.

Mon Nov 19, 09:14:00 AM EST  

Blogger netbanker said....

Hey,Tom,

Maybe I am the one who asked you the last question after that 11g new features presentation. I am sorry for dragging you very late althought I have one more question: why oracle still use LRU to manager shared pool. It is not as precise/efficient as what I thought, that maybe why 4031 is still the nightmare of DBA

The presentation was great and I am awaiting for your new 11g books :-)

Mon Nov 19, 07:21:00 PM EST  

Blogger Jared said....

I think that being somewhat nervous is a good thing during a presentation.

Not scared to talk, "Oh man what am I doing up here" kind of nervous, but just a bit of an edge.

Overconfidence is often dangerous as a speaker - it can cause to say things you may later wish you hadn't.

One of the most important tasks that will enable someone to speak well in front of an audience is to know your material. If you don't know your material frontwards and backwards, you may run into trouble.

This generally eases with a lot of speaking experience.

Thu Dec 06, 05:41:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Ashley said....

I have a couple questions abouth the crime against logic book?

why does whyte think that invoking the right is irrelevent? Why is there an ambiguity in the word entitlement and why this is relevant to Whtytes skeptisism about the right to opinions? Whast is the general idea that rights entail dutuis ot that rights are defined by dutues to which they give rise?

Mon Dec 10, 07:40:00 PM EST  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home