Thursday, November 29, 2007

I'm pretty sure...

I'm pretty sure I've worked with Terry in the past.

Many times in fact, many many times.

Don't be a Terry :)



Blogger Gary Myers said....

Exactly why I like Oracle's DUMP function, and od -vc in unix, and I even use an editor (PSPad) that can flick in and out of HEX mode. The secret of computers - everything is just bytes (or bits).
Maybe its a good interview question - what's the ASCII or HEX code for a space character.
If they don't know they've spent too much time in 'smart' tools, and not enough time in the bytes.

Thu Nov 29, 04:18:00 PM EST  

Anonymous William Vambenepe said....

I believe single quotes are valid quotation mark delimiters for attribute values in XML. Sure Terry seems a bit thick-skulled, but his XML is valid. Don't be a Terry, but don't be a Rick either...

Thu Nov 29, 05:54:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

William Vambenepe said...

You are correct (me not being an XML'ist...)

The standard does allow for both.

So, this is like a double dip! Excellent.

Thu Nov 29, 06:23:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

So let's modify the spfile in wordpad...

Thu Nov 29, 07:56:00 PM EST  

Blogger Noons said....

For the last two weeks I've been battling another Terry, to whom I've repeatedly shown ping logs demonstrating his web mail server has an incorrect dns entry.

No matter what I say, he falls back on telling me it's my pc's outlook setup that is wrong.

Never mind the simple facts: I don't use Outlook, I'm sending mail using a browser and their web mail server interface!

I'm sure it's just one of those "quote" things...


Thu Nov 29, 07:58:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

My cable ISP only "supports" Outlook Express besides their browser... Terry kept insisting it wasn't their software that was holding up email 5-7 days.

Word verification has an umlaut over a y...

Fri Nov 30, 10:07:00 AM EST  

Blogger Jared said....

I have also worked with "Terry", in fact several individuals with that name.

The technical support organization of a software package from a rather well known vendor of financial services insisted that I was doing an upgrade 'wrong'.

Many hours were spent explaining the problem in detail, show exactly what the problems were that I encountered trying to upgrade this package.

Two things became readily apparent:

1) I was never going to be able to speak to anyone that actually knew how the product worked.
2) During several tech support conversations, it was obvious that I was the only one that had bothered to read the rather detailed upgrade manual.

The problem was finally fixed by digging into the schema and finding some data that had to corrected manually.

Full details of the fix were sent to tech support. Nothing was ever sent in reply.

Fri Nov 30, 03:26:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I am going to quote something out of an email we received from a vendor regarding a problem with their application not closing connections:

There is an issue involving Oracle's method of backups, that will occasionally strand or break connections. The application is not notified that the connection is no longer valid, and will maintain the connection. A common symptom of this type of bad connection will be the inability of users to logon over time. In some instances, the application may ask for additional connections and could cause a server to max out the number of allowed connections.

I asked them to back that up in a conference call. They had absolutely nothing, they just completely pulled it out of their ass.

Fri Nov 30, 04:14:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Robert said....

the "WTF" is that their issue in this inter-system-communication-via-XML scheme is just silly quotes, LOL

Fri Nov 30, 10:37:00 PM EST  

Anonymous David Aldridge said....

I worked for a while with a team who refered to plain text files as "Notepad format", and would request data feeds in "Notepad format" from third parties. I always would say, "'Notepad' is a format in the sense that 'bald' is a hair colour".

Wed Dec 12, 08:24:00 AM EST  


<< Home