Friday, September 21, 2007

Before the iPod there was...

Mister Disc :)

What a concept, carry a bunch of 45s around (no, not the gun for those of you - well- too young to know what a 45 is). True, you could carry a bunch of 33's (and 1/3) but that doesn't sound as fun.

1983, I was graduating high school.  Compact Disc was just being released in the US.  I went to college with some really big speakers and a turntable.  No computer.  Rotary phone.

Very different back then...



Blogger Tom said....

I saw that on reddit. I was thinking wtf? It's amazing how far we've come.

Fri Sep 21, 09:25:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Robert said....

ahhh no computers the good old simpler old days

Sat Sep 22, 01:23:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous paul said....

Welcome back Tom.

I'm sure we had something in the UK like that called a dansette.

Anybody remember it?

Sat Sep 22, 01:52:00 PM EDT  

Blogger FirstYearAndSurviving said....

i went to college with a collection of LPs and a record player. i was BORN in '84. ha.

Sat Sep 22, 06:50:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous silentd said....

With this bit of insanity, you could play 45s in your car:

Mon Sep 24, 10:25:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Dave Carlin said....

1983, really big speakers, a turntable and a rotary phone. That was me also in my freshman year. The speakers took up the entire back seat of my POS 71 Mustang. Things certainly were different then. Just imagine 24 years from now!!

Mon Sep 24, 11:37:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Harry said....

When I went off to college, there were these really cool things called scientific calculators. One odd company had something called Reverse Polish Notation. I never could figure that out.

Thu Sep 27, 10:35:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Glen S said....

In my heyday (late 60's early 70's) the big thing at school was portable cassettes. However even at that age I had to "up-tech" everyone so I saved my money and bought a 5" reel to reel , touting the faster tape speed, bigger tape, and resulting superior high-fidelity. All of this was moot however, when I used the microphone propped up to the speaker on my turntable/mono unit to record from my lp's and 45's. Eventually I did start recording with a patch cord though, but I had to bare the speaker wires on the stereo to do it..

Thu Sep 27, 01:36:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous GaryS said....

They're still in business!!! (Google "audio technica" if you don't believe me. Same logo.)

The phrase "As practical as it is convenient" comes to mind.

Thu Sep 27, 05:35:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Joe said....

I started college in 75, but I commuted...listening to my 8-tracks. God I don't miss that!

Fri Sep 28, 12:44:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I hung out at the radio station as an engineer and we just used the collection like a library. Also used to make our my tapes and had a Teac (A2340 comes to mind) and studio monitor speakers in my dorm room.

Lots of parties in my room!

Mon Oct 01, 06:30:00 PM EDT  

Blogger doug said....

The Mister Disc link doesn't work.

Sat Dec 05, 03:00:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said...."mister+disc" finds it

Sat Dec 05, 08:18:00 PM EST  


<< Home