Saturday, September 15, 2007

Ahh, Travel...

I've updated the page of upcoming events - adding a couple of links and another event (Nashville TN in October).  When I get a link with details for the Nashville event, I'll update the page again.  Lots of travel coming up in the next couple of months. 

Travel can be fun, but it is also tiring and can push the limits of patience sometimes :)  This last week was a case in point.  I started out on the road Monday evening - heading down to Dallas.  There were some serious storms in the Dallas area on Monday - enough that American Airlines was canceling flight after flight.  That was OK because I was traveling on USAIR - until USAIR said they would be delaying my flight by many hours.  Resigned to being stuck at the airport for a while, I sat down and started to do some work - fortunately I did not leave the gate area because a few minutes later - they un-delayed my flight.  That is something that never happens -- it was delayed by 2 hours and we left about 15 minutes after the original delay announcement.  I was glad I didn't leave the area - I would have easily missed the flight otherwise.  Dallas and Phoenix were pretty uneventful travel wise - did a full day seminar in both locations. 

Wednesday night was a heavy travel night though - after finishing in Phoenix at 4:30, I had to fly to LAX and from there take a red-eye to Philadelphia, where I was speaking the next morning at 9am.  We landed early in Philadelphia (good news), but a plane was at our gate (bad news), so we arrived on time after sitting on the tarmac for a long time.  Going to the car rental - the driver dropped me off and said my name would be on the board, but of course it wasn't - and at 6am - there was no one around. 

Finally I get a car, drive to the hotel and ask for my room (which was paid for the night before by someone staying at the hotel).  The clerk says "we were oversold last night - we have no rooms" - which doesn't sit very well with me (since we actually paid for the room, with a credit card).  How can there not be a room when we actually checked in and paid for it?  Anyway - eventually they conceded that there might be a mixup and got me a room - on the 15th floor (the top of the building).  I got a shower, changed, did my talk.  After the talk - as some of us are standing around doing some questions and answers - every light in the building goes off, total darkness (not a good thing since we had just started the day and had 3 more hours to go, with about 200 people).  The lights came back on - but went off again shortly thereafter.  A transformer blew out nearby - no power.  And now it was near 11am, checkout time - the time when my key would cease functioning, and my luggage, computer and such were in the room - on the 15th floor, without any elevators.  I found a security guard to walk up with me - so they could let me in - and that was when I realized that my room actually has no windows (it was a 'theme room', all of the rooms on the 15th floor where - my rooms theme was "Pirates", the strangest hotel room I've had to date).  No power, no lights, no windows - but they did give me one of those green glowing sticks.  Made it hard to pack :)

Ahh, it is stuff like that that makes traveling interesting...  You just have to roll with it though, if you got overly upset at all of this stuff - you would spend all of your time traveling upset.  I've written about what I call "travel mode" before  - a necessary state of mind for anyone that travels :)

POST A COMMENT

8 Comments:

Blogger Tina said....

Wow that is probably the worst travel day ever! Sorry that had to happen to you!

Sat Sep 15, 07:28:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom,

Phoenix in September? You should plan to visit the desert in January when it is much more hospitable!

David

Sat Sep 15, 12:47:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous A Reluctant DBA said....

You should get one of those keychain LED lights- they work very well, especially in total darkness, and last for years.

http://www.photonlight.com/LED-Keychain-Flashlights-s/1.htm

Sat Sep 15, 02:51:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

My favorite is still the (say it like Isaac Hayes) Love Nest

Sun Sep 16, 02:42:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Ontario Emperor said....

Wow...I've read three posts on travel today, counting the one that I wrote early this morning. I summarized all three here - although the other two posts were from infrequent travelers. (My trip to San Francisco in mid-November will be only my third overnight business trip this calendar year.)

My favorite bad travel story was the Saturday that I flew to Ottawa from California, via O'Hare. I made it to Ottawa, but my luggage didn't. Luckily, my hotel was connected to a shopping center, so I bought some business clothes on Sunday afternoon, and left the packages wrapped just in case my luggage did arrive...which it did early Monday morning, a couple of hours before my meeting.

Sun Sep 16, 07:44:00 PM EDT  

Blogger N2GJ said....

We found out why the lights went out at that very moment. If you'll recall, after your talk (great, as always) all the Oracle sales consultants retired to various breakout sessions to give their talks. Unfortunately, they all chose EXACTLY the same instant to fire up their PowerPoint presentations, causing a rip in the fabric of spacetime and blowing out the transformer that fed the building.

Sad, but true!

See you in New Brunswick!

GJ

Tue Sep 18, 04:44:00 PM EDT  

Blogger The Travelling Guy said....

Hey,

I really like your site.
If you check out my blog (well not yet I don't have much up) it'll be about my trip to Central America coming up soon.

Thanks
http://travel.wwwgen.com

Mon Oct 01, 05:03:00 PM EDT  

Blogger MarkH said....

Travel can be a pain but as long as I get to my destination in one piece I' happy.

My Travel Forum

Thu Oct 11, 10:17:00 PM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home