Wednesday, April 25, 2007

How not to ask a question...

A friend of mine sent me this link.... Ouch, that hurts just to read it.



Anonymous RobH said....

looks a lot like "goading". There is no way this is real. Its someone stirring the pot, trying to prove a point (most likely their job was outsourced).

Wed Apr 25, 09:38:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Robh is right, actually that rude guy is TOM KYTE!!And this is his revenge: after all these years spent helping the Oracle community, he's still getting sometimes question that require the crystal ball... Probably Tom can't take it anymore... ;-))

By the way, thanks Tom for your incredible effort!!!


Wed Apr 25, 10:04:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

So how did you come up with this idea, Tom?

Wed Apr 25, 10:20:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Bill S. said....

I would sincerely hope that thread was someone's prank.
If not, all I can say is - wow.

Bill S.

Wed Apr 25, 10:25:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

well, if it was a prank, not sure why they posted an email id... :)

it could be, but - based on my experience, it happens all too often. Frighteningly often

Wed Apr 25, 10:38:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Vinay said....

I seriously wonder how people have the audacity to post such questions. I guess part of computer science education should be "How to ask a question in a forum"

Wed Apr 25, 10:41:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

prank..definitely a prank. besides I think it is one of those free web emails - dime a dozen.

Wed Apr 25, 10:46:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Here you go - searched google:

and found a match - someone having
fun based on this forum.

Wed Apr 25, 10:51:00 AM EDT  

Blogger MWrynn said....

Someone suggested Delete from all_posts where subject ='URGENT URGENT PLZ READ B4 .......';

They could go one step further...

alter table all_posts add constraint keep_out_annoying_posters_chk check(upper(subject) not like '%PLZ%');

Wed Apr 25, 11:46:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

I think it is real. It surely reflects the frustration someone coming from a different environment. It did make me LOL. Now if we could just get google to stop messing up blogspot and google groups [sigh].

Wed Apr 25, 12:56:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Jayasankar said....

>>>I guess part of computer science education should be "How to ask a question in a forum"

I think a huge percentage of questions in many of the popular tech forums should never have been asked.

'Cause people have faced them before, someone had resolved, and search engines have crawled and indexed them.

Part of any education should be on how to use a search engine.

Wed Apr 25, 12:59:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Dirk I. McComsey said....

Thanks, Tom!

This is the funniest thing I've seen in quite some time. Unfortunately, I've had the opportunity of working with someone who was hired as a developer with this same level of ability and mannerisms. He would actually write very bad PL/SQL procedures with no formatting, carriage returns or spaces because "it saves space in the database..."

Wed Apr 25, 01:48:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Peter K said....

I would probably have responded in all my innocence by suggesting that he drop a couple of SYS objects ;)

Wed Apr 25, 02:15:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Fortunately he passed on this opportunity...

Wed Apr 25, 03:14:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous RobH said....

You know, maybe it isn't a prank. Its not far off from this one:

Wed Apr 25, 03:30:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Noons said....

I'm with peter k:
this is a perfect candidate to explain how to drop a table by direct update of SYS tables!

Fix the problem for good...

Wed Apr 25, 06:15:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I am not sure whether to call the post pathetic, posted by some arrogant, self centered person or just have a good laugh and dispose it off as a prank. By the way, did anyone actually even try to read and understand what he was trying to ask? My head and eyes hurt just looking at that post. I never realized that too much of capitalization could be so bad for health...

Wed Apr 25, 09:54:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

It should not be difficult to understand that this post was a prank and I am sure he is having the last laugh as everyone did.

Just see how he has tried to instigate others, and at times made himself look very stupid and arrogant. Yes, there are people with these qualities but one cannot have them all. Then they would be really genius.

And Tom, that email id might be bad too.

Wed Apr 25, 10:08:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Kyle said....

This one gave me a nice laugh for the morning, including a laugh an myself. I spend a half a minute trying to figure out the logic behind "WHCIH SUM1 ELSE" before I realized it meant "which some one else" and was not supposed to be part of the query! Duh. Very funny.

Thu Apr 26, 10:40:00 AM EDT  

Blogger bill said....

so *THAT'S* where my developers have been getting their advice.;-)

Thu Apr 26, 11:19:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Robert Lockard said....

Thanks for the laugh.


Thu Apr 26, 03:32:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

What's really sad is that everyone enabled him one way or another. If it was real, he got his problem solved by being impolite and rude and will figure he can be that way again and again. If it was a prank, he got everyone to respond so he got his jollies that way. In a democracy the only real way of voting is with one's feet so the best way to get rid of people like this is to walk away.

Tue May 01, 10:18:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous John Spencer said....

I am a frequent contributor on that OTN forumn, and I am afraid that that was likely not a prank.

It is a extreme example of the type, but there are usually several every week of the same ilk.

"Do my work for me and don't tell me to read the manual" Then, when challenged they usually say "If you can't answer my question don't bother posting".


Tue May 01, 03:32:00 PM EDT  


<< Home