Wednesday, February 07, 2007

22 Tips...

I stumbled upon this site a while ago and wrote about an article they had there.  Since then, I've subscribed to it and have mostly liked the postings.  Only wish there were more of them :)

Today - 22 tips.

#3 - Easy to say "forgive and forget".  Really hard to do.  Really really hard sometimes. 

#4 - Definitely agree with "Associate with positive, supportive people".  Another way to say it might be "be with people that like to be with you".

#5 - "Get involved in work and activities you love" - yup.  I'm always confused when people ask me "should I be a DBA or stay in development" (or vice versa).  The questioning goes along the lines of "which is a better career path".  The problem I have with that question is - it is so personal, only the person asking the question stands a chance of getting the right answer!  I would always lean towards development - since that is what I like, what I do, what makes me tick.  But - some people don't like it - but they really love being a DBA, or a Veterinarian, or a whatever. 

I laughed at #13 - "Ignore yourself".  Then I read what they meant by it.  Me overthink things?  Obsess?  Dwell on things for way too long - nah, I'd never do that.  (sarcasm there, I tend to obsess)

#16 - "start giving more".  Indeed.

Anyway - many of the other points make sense as well and depending on your attitude/situation - some more than others.  In short however, I really like that site and the articles therein.



Blogger Vidya Balasubramanian said....


I have been following your blog for a long time now - I have an rss reader client that is set to receive blogs from different blog groups. The client will show me only the title on the blog and not the author - I can get more details on the blog when I drill down. I saw "22 tips" as the title amongst several blogs I receive and even before I drilled down I knew this had to be from your blog - thanks again for the good post (its really nice to read your blog in the midst of all the technology talk we are sorrounded with during the day)

Wed Feb 07, 01:37:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I agree the 22 tips are neat. I'd like to follow that with a "Thank you" to Tom. Your new book will be on my personal and work library shelf...right next to all of the others Tom has written. Some may question, like Tom does, whether there is enough "new" material in each iteration. My answer is a resounding "YES!". It only takes ONE new idea to push from merely adequate to awesomely spectacular. Tom's books, each and every one, have numerous examples of the one new idea for each version of Oracle. I know my work is far better with each book, each blog, each new presentation, and each AskTom question I read. Keep it up, Tom! It is always appreciated!

Wed Feb 07, 05:38:00 PM EST  

Blogger Rachel said....

I'm working on #2 myself ...but yes, this is a good list and yes, once again you've given me yet another site I have to read :)

Thanks..... this is a GOOD one

Thu Feb 08, 08:00:00 AM EST  

Blogger Gregory said....

One of the best psychiatrists around, Masterson, wrote Search for the Real Self. He has a sentence about a patient: "...John didn't have self esteem,"....

I dreaded that comma, imagining he was going to say that affirmations or whatever would help the guy. Instead, this was was the sentence:

"...John didn't have self esteem, and well he shouldn't, because he had no accomplishments."

Thu Feb 08, 04:33:00 PM EST  

Blogger Roderick said....


Thanks for providing those 22 tips to my attention.

I just wish I was as good as you in finding those kinds of sites. Aw, crap. Guess I still need to work more on #1. :-)

Fri Feb 09, 10:09:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the introduction of this site. Point 1 is something that I really want to do but I still cannot achieve it. I am just curious whether you can accomplish it or not. : )

Sun Feb 11, 07:45:00 AM EST  


<< Home