Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Customer Service...

I was using the USAA website yesterday.  I use USAA for banking and all of my insurance (auto, home, whatever).

Anyway - I was trying to make an addition to something on there and got the infamous "I'm sorry, we cannot process that - please contact us" messages.  I thought "oh great, now I have to remember to do this via a human being later, get on the phone, get in the queue, bummer"

They called me today.  In order to ask about my failed transaction and whether I'd like to work through it right now, later or never.

Sign me up.

Busy couple of days/weeks coming up for me - It'll be "posting lite" for a while.



Anonymous Anonymous said....

I have been using USAA for about 6 or 7 years now (membership via my father). I have found their customer service second to none.

My family and I recently moved to Tampa and purchased a house. Home Owner's Insurance is outrageous. You can't get a new policy in the State of Florida (thankfully, we were in Gainesville), but there prices were over $1500 less than the nearest competitor. Same goes for Auto insurance.

When times have been tough over the last couple of years, we call and tell them, they put off payments for a month or 2 (sometimes 3).

I can't say enough good things about USAA.

Have you tried their new deposit@home application? Scan a check and it is instantly deposited into your account...very cool.


Tue Jan 02, 10:05:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I saw that deposit@home and am dying to try it out :)

I might write myself a check just to see it work.

Tue Jan 02, 10:11:00 PM EST  

Anonymous David Aldridge said....

What's that? deposit@home? I am going to beall over that. I wonder if it'll work with a digital camera?

Wed Jan 03, 01:59:00 AM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

deposit@home - you scan the check, upload with their client software and there you go - you have made a deposit right from your home.

suppose a photo might work ;)

Wed Jan 03, 06:18:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I use Wells Fargo for banking. I had an auto-house payment set up, and decided to up the amount being automatically paid each month. Imagine my surprise when I discovered (right after Christmas) that they had made TWO payments in the same month! A call to customer service (who sounded like he wasn't from around here) assured me that they would take care of it, but of course both transactions posted. Donations of food are now gladly being accepted.

Wed Jan 03, 08:00:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Is USAA for military people only?

Wed Jan 03, 08:54:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Mark A. Williams said....

> Is USAA for military people only?


- Mark

Wed Jan 03, 09:09:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

In one of my many conversations with their customer service department, I asked if USAA services would ever be available to the general public. Surprisingly, the rep said that it might be happening sometime during the middle of this year. Of course completely unsubstantiated, but found it interesting none-the-less.


Wed Jan 03, 10:01:00 AM EST  

Anonymous David Aldridge said....

>> suppose a photo might work ;)

But maybe not ... they have a Java application that detects the lack of a scanner. I wonder if it's worth getting one for this? H'mmm.

Anyway, this is a great idea, with so many USAA members overseas. They were highlighting the ability to pay checks in through UPS stores for a while but that seemed as much trouble as mailing them, if not more.

Wed Jan 03, 10:02:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Robert said....

for a second I thought you're joining the Navy

Wed Jan 03, 12:05:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Karen said....

And what is wrong with the Navy ? ? ?

The only fault I know of with USAA is that they were not open to Enlisted folks when I was in the service. Back "then" you had to be an officer. Or a family member of an officer (Tom) or a family member of a family member . . .

Wed Jan 03, 12:48:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Kevin Closson said....

I have a USAA account but haven't used it in about 20 years. This blog entry brought it to mind...maybe I'll brush off the dust and see what's there.

Thu Jan 04, 01:58:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Robert said....

Karen said....
And what is wrong with the Navy ? ? ?

why, nothing at all...
If I could go back in time
I'd "Go Navy !" in a heartbeat. Really

Tom, you have family that's an officer ?

Thu Jan 04, 04:53:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

My Dad was in the Coast Guard as an officer, that got me in...

Thu Jan 04, 09:05:00 PM EST  

Blogger Ram Kuntamukkala said....

I Love USAA..being with them for over 9 years now...dont have an account anywhere else.

Fri Jan 05, 09:59:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....


Abou your new ask tom site. I do not know if you realize that when you use the go back button it takes you the begining instaead of the previous page...it is me or anyone has said something about it?


Mon Jan 08, 12:43:00 AM EST  

Blogger Hae-Kwang said....

Hi; totally unrelated to this post but thought it may be of interest ... Zooomr is offering a free four gig storage space for photos to upload on blogs, etc., very much like Flickr, but free. The URL on Zooomr detaling out the info is http://blog.zooomr.com/2006/07/07/do-we-love-bloggers-yes-we-do/; I initially found out about it from post http://blog.plaxoed.com/2006/11/03/free-zooomr-pro-account-im-there.

Tue Jan 16, 01:50:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

A little different to the Wait Awhile state of Australia.

Major ISP allows all accounts, land line, mobile, ADSL to be moved to a new address online. Great says I, dutifully enter info, print confirmation page with reference number.

When move doesn't happen, ISP denies all knowledge that such a transaction was even possible!

Kind of odd (coming from the UK) but government depts are pretty good for online activities here but the commercial sector can seem 20 years behind everywhere else!

Tue Jan 16, 10:01:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Does anyone know what happened to Tom? I haven't figured out the "Where is Tom" thing on the homepage, it appears to just reload the page.

Fri Jan 19, 09:46:00 AM EST  

Blogger SeanMacGC said....

Let's hope that African voodoo witchdoctor hasn't put the hoodoo on him! ;o)

Fri Jan 19, 09:56:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Kirtan Desai said....

Even on asktom last updated thread shows '11 Jan 2007 09:20PM'. where is tom? is he on vacation?

Sat Jan 20, 12:35:00 AM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I am indeed on hiatus for a bit. Some needed "down time".

In the famous words of the terminator:

I'll be back.

Sat Jan 20, 09:07:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom - I think I can safely say I speak for lot's of people; glad to hear 'you'll be back'.

Sun Jan 21, 02:54:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

And your reply also suggests that you still have your eyes.

Sun Jan 21, 09:56:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

The withdrawal is killing me!

I need my fix of pithy comments, wry observations, sage advice, and deep wisdom.

Come back Tom!!!!

Hurry. I do not think I can stand it much longer.......

Mon Jan 22, 01:51:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Would that have anything to do with the groupies ;-)


Tue Jan 23, 04:29:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

A lot of I.T work from USAA has been outsourced to Tata Consultancy Service of India. Looks like there is a sucess story out of this outsourcing thing after all !

Wed Jan 24, 03:00:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Yeah it's about time you came back. Well, unless you are in africa adopting kids,are you?

Wed Jan 24, 11:06:00 AM EST  

Anonymous nothing_but_the _truth said....

> Anonymous said....
....Looks like there is a sucess story out of this outsourcing thing after all !


Wed Jan 24, 07:38:00 PM EST  

Anonymous SZB said....

is this the first time ever of 2-week downtime? i think so.

Thu Jan 25, 12:38:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I wonder if he's working on his next book.

Mon Jan 29, 02:15:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Over odd.

Mon Jan 29, 03:02:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

would you think that Tom's disappearance is somehow related to this ? http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/07/01/29/168235.shtml

Maybe he is going trough MySql boot-camp!!!!

Mon Jan 29, 03:25:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Not even close. ;-)

> Anonymous said....
....Looks like there is a sucess story out of this outsourcing thing after all !


Wed Jan 24, 07:38:00 PM EST

Sun Mar 11, 11:38:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Very good article. This article makes some interesting points. You made a good point, reading your article is a kind of enjoyment. Thank you.
Tactical Flashlights
r c helicopter
video game
Tactical Flashlight
Led Flashlight
rc helicopter
Playstation 2
Playstation 3
Nintendo DS

Mon Jun 23, 03:32:00 AM EDT  

Blogger TonnyLy said....

Hello. I find your blog very interesting. Good Customer Service is a rare thing at the present time. Although companies offering the same services are numerous and have somehow to drift on the market they still do not care about their clients. And the worst thing is that the customer services of these companies do not care about the filed complaints. They simply ignore them. What a mess!

Thu Jul 31, 03:44:00 PM EDT  


<< Home