Saturday, December 02, 2006

Two interesting articles...

The first one on a programming language that is really neat to look at source code wise - but would drive me NUTS in real life.  The language is called SNUSP and while I doubt it will add to your resume any - it looks like it might be fun to solve a problem or two in it and see what sort of interesting source code you can generate.  That it is sort of a two dimensional language is interesting as well (flow goes right and left as well as up and down).

The second one is about overclocking your brain.  I can relate to that article.  Some people do crossword puzzles or Sudoku to get their brain moving - I do asktom.  On days I don't do some questions in the morning - I am very much aware that I'm "sluggish" in my thinking.  When on travel - I would always get up early enough to spend an hour on it - not just to be nice and answer, but to get my brain woken up for the rest of the day.  It is a symbiotic relationship.

POST A COMMENT

3 Comments:

Anonymous CT said....

Hi Tom
I used to do sudoku , now oracle is enough .........
I watched a show last night in 20/20 about a gentleman who solves math problems using pattern matching , I guess he can be as fast as a computer.
If you missed ,here is the link

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2690724&page=1

Sat Dec 02, 03:39:00 PM EST  

Blogger Noons said....

a couple of years ago I invested in a few books on mental arithmetic for my kids.
they sort of complained about them initially, but eventually got hooked on solving weird arithmetic problems at shool without the need of a calculator or pen and paper.

the girl is now a good maths student whereas before she was mediocre. the boy is now in the high maths rank at his primary school. they both love to play number games or weird puzzles when the whole family is travelling in a car or similar.

this type of mental exercise is essential for the proper operation of the brain at any age. Like any other organ, it thrives on being used.

Mon Dec 04, 12:14:00 AM EST  

Blogger Vidya Balasubramanian said....

to get you brain working - I agree with you. I have been a dba now for over 6 yrs and sometimes I feel I should just close my eyes and do my job . I try to get new products, versions out to my customers (to get my brain working) - but not always do Customer sites want to keep up with time and technology (why rock the boat when its still is what I am faced with at times)

Mon Dec 04, 01:51:00 PM EST  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home