Monday, December 18, 2006

Self help...

There are some interesting articles I've recently and they center around "self help".  Nothing truly technical - but rather better ways to approach things.

The first one centers around the age old KISS principle.  Keeping it simple (silly).  It is so true - I've seen some truly complicated Rube Goldberg approaches to software.  Even when told of easier ways to accomplish things - many people persist with their complex implementations.  Probably because they thought of it and have already started down that path.  It is the old "sunk cost fallacy" - sure it is complicated, yes your simple approach would work and is easier, but we've already started down this road and have this investment.  Never mind that by trashing the investment and starting over - they would finish sooner with something more maintainable...

The next is on body language.  I agree with pretty much everything there.  Some of them are hard to do - like the "don't cross arms or legs".  I am more comfortable with legs crossed personally.  The "have eye contact, but don't stare" takes practice (it did for me).  But once you get it down - you start doing it without thinking.  I do sort of a clock motion.  Start in the middle of the group/audience up front and sweep to the left, up the left side across the back and around.  All in all - excellent points there.


Lastly - this one was really good.  Print it out and hang it on the wall good.  #5 resonated with me.


Blogger Peter K said....

Great Tom, two more blogs for me to read ;)

Ken's blog because of the China connection and RirianProject because of the subject.

Mon Dec 18, 03:19:00 PM EST  

Blogger Gleisson Henrique said....

How about number “VI You shall always consider the source.” ? That is very truth! Just the other day somebody started a thread on Oralce-L list saying that he heard "someone" saying Oracle was replacing PL/SQL for Java in the database. Had he checked his source, he wouldn't have started the thread. I can't remember if I read on one of Tom's posts or his books that we should always to question/exercise our own thinking on "authorities" and “experts”.

Mon Dec 18, 05:21:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Paul said....

Tom - nice links. Number 8 reminds me of the person who sits behind me at work - unfortunately I usually get in before him and heare is moans of the day as soon as he comes in...

Mon Dec 18, 05:35:00 PM EST  

Blogger Venkata N Thiagarajan said....

Thanks for sharing "Ten Commandments" with us - Tom.

Very nice article. I enjoy reading your blogs.

Happy Holidays.

Best Regards

Mon Dec 18, 06:21:00 PM EST  

Blogger Rachel said....

Numbers 4 and 6 resonate with me, it's how I live, or at least try to ... but number 9 is the one I have the most trouble following.

yeah, I can see where number 5 would resonate with you

Mon Dec 18, 07:45:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Rachel -

yeah, #9, #9, #9 - like the Beatles would say....

that is a hard one.

I like 4 and 6 as well - I like them all.

Like I said, print it, hang it :)

Mon Dec 18, 07:56:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Patty C. said....

#9 was a big hurdle for me but I find it easier now that I am older to not worry about what people think. Getting past this has greatly improved my life and my career! I'm going to put this on the fridge at home for my children's benefit too. Thanks Tom.

Tue Dec 19, 08:17:00 AM EST  

Blogger Bill S. said....

My favorites were 3 and 6 (though I like them all). Definitely a multi-copy print - for home AND office.

Bill S.

Tue Dec 19, 09:27:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom, I got a cancer diagnosis last week. Your poosting of the 10 commandments link is both timely and helpful. Thanks!

Tue Dec 19, 12:00:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

If you want to achieve great heights, you must fly with the best.

"There are old test pilots, there are bold test pilots, but there are no old bold test pilots." - cliche

But they might be grouchy sometimes.

Tue Dec 19, 12:22:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I got a cancer diagnosis

I wish you well.

Tue Dec 19, 12:36:00 PM EST  

Blogger Vidya Balasubramanian said....

Tom! Thanks for the great links- I really liked the way V was put

If life were ‘fair’, you would be in trouble........(that would be so true considering that atleat 65% or more, of people around world are more unfortunate than fortunate)

Tue Dec 19, 02:10:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Rosemary Arnold said....

I enjoyed the "10 Commandments" website. School has been difficult and it is comforting to read these. I wish I had read this before my first year in college. O well.

The "KISS" method is something we used in our programming classes. It is a very useful method that many over look.

I hope you have a great holiday and keep the blogs coming.

Wed Dec 20, 09:50:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sat Jan 20, 09:19:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Mark Brady said....

Cancer Dx,

I've had Cancer and I've been cancer-free for more than 5 years. Radiation treatment sucked but it made me better. I remember waiting for a radiation Tx and talking with someone in an obvious bad mood. I said there's nothing you can do by being negative that isn't easier to do when you're postive. Later a nurse thanked me for making the comment. She said, I could never tell her what you can because I'm not suffering from the Tx. Anyway, good luck and stay positive.

Fri Jan 26, 01:16:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Antonio said....

you could always improve your self-esteem and embark on a greater path. In order to do this, you will need to have the law of attraction working for you. For those with a mediocre or low level of self-esteem, you could improve your life and your emotions to obtain a higher level, attracting the people you really want to attract.

Be Good!

Tue Oct 16, 06:54:00 AM EDT  


<< Home