Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Traveling and stuff...

Sitting here in Montreal - on my way to Quebec.  Almost didn't get the chance to get to Quebec since my travel agent changed my ticket and forgot to ticket this segment.  Meaning, I've gone from Washington Dulles to Toronto, to Edmonton, to Calgary, to Montreal - have yet to go from Quebec back to Montreal to Washington Dulles - and all are OK except for this one segment.

I didn't even know you could mess up a ticket that way!  Interesting.  Anyway, after a pleasant 15 minutes at the desk trying to get a boarding pass (it was pleasant, they were trying to help), they sent me to the "ticketing line". 

That

Has

Got

To

Be

The

Slowest line invented in the history of mankind...

So, bored, I got on the phone with travel - they typed away and said "hmm, interesting, did not know that could happen" (I am not alone!).  They said "hold while we talk to ticketing".  What follows is 20 minutes of really bad music piped into my mobile phone, in line for "ticketing".  They came back on and said "ok, check it, we got it fixed".  I got to leave the line (dirty looks from others in the line - misery loves company).

So, here I am, waiting for the plane....

And I read this.  Laughing out loud - I cannot agree more.  The driver "tip" is the hardest of them all sometimes.  Something needs to be done!

Tomorrow Quebec, Friday/Saturday at home with the kids.  Then off to UKOUG.  You should really all hit many time zones in a single week.  Good for the brain...

Tomorrow, if I get time to type it in - a really funny story about my worst practices presentation and slide "21".

POST A COMMENT

11 Comments:

Anonymous Robert said....

>>
That
Has
Got
To
Be
The
Slowest line.......
<<


And I thought that was the breakfast order line at this deli near my downtown office.

Guy @ the griddle takes "slow-by-slow" approach - frying like 2 orders at a time on his big griddle with like 14 people in line.

Wed Nov 08, 04:51:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Alex Gorbachev said....

Oh... I like your slide 55. :))) cool!
I hope you had at least a pleasant flight after that.
Looking forward to see you on UKOUG.

Wed Nov 08, 07:04:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

slide 55, stolen from this guy directly:

http://wedonotuse.blogspot.com/

Wed Nov 08, 07:07:00 PM EST  

Blogger DBA said....

Hope the rest of your trip goes good Tom. I was one of the attendees at the breakfast in Edmonton, and like last years it was very interesting to hear your take on the technical discussions.

I'm glad I don't have your travel schedule, I for one don't know how you do it! The one week out of the year I take to go to OOW is more than enough for me, although I am seriously thinking about taking in the HOTSOS symposium next year as well.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Wed Nov 08, 07:14:00 PM EST  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

Well, you could always just fix it yourself :-O

Wed Nov 08, 08:55:00 PM EST  

Blogger Peter K said....

Sitting here in Montreal - on my way to Quebec.

You do realized that the proper name is "Quebec City" and Quebec is used for the province :D

Hope that the rest of your trip will be uneventful.

Wed Nov 08, 10:46:00 PM EST  

Blogger Peter K said....

Q: When I download and open your "Worst Practices" and "Things You Should Know" slides, the title showed "Jerry Held". Who is "Jerry Held"?

Wed Nov 08, 10:55:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Who is "Jerry Held"?

he used to work at Oracle and owned the original template I stole years and years ago.

Know how to change it? Let me know :)

Wed Nov 08, 11:01:00 PM EST  

Blogger Mynok said....

Know how to change it? Let me know :)

File -> Properties

Thu Nov 09, 10:01:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Robert said....

>>
Peter K said....
Who is "Jerry Held"?
<<


surely one of Tom's Oompa-Loompas

Thu Nov 09, 10:07:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Alex Gorbachev said....

slide 55, stolen from this guy directly:
http://wedonotuse.blogspot.com/

Perhaps, Mogens should work in advertising business. :-)

Thu Nov 09, 04:21:00 PM EST  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home