Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Last day in Rome...

The Rome seminar ended yesterday - and based on the feedback, it went well. I was worried with the translation that was happening but based on comments received on the blog and the feedback forms - it worked out well.

Spent today walking about - I did not want to fly back today, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I'd rather wait for all of the "civilian" travelers to get out of the airports first :)

A friend of mine, Marco Adelfio (he is one of the two developers working on the 'beta asktom'), recommended I walk up to Gianicolo hill - which is what I decided to start with. So it was off to the River Tevere again, as you can tell, the weather was not the best:

by the river tevere

It was nice that so many things were so close to my hotel, I haven't been in a car since Saturday when I arrived. I made it to the stairs that would lead me up to the top of the hill:

up the stairs to the gianicolo hill

and the view was worth the climb. It wasn't optimal for taking pictures, a little too dark, but I got a couple of good shots:

from the top of gianicolo hill

After walking around up there, I set off for the Pyramid of Cestuis. It rained like crazy on the way there but the promise of clearing skies can be seen in the background of this shot:

pyramid of cestius

Then, it was off to the Terme di Caracalla ruins. On the way there, I spied this building on a hill - you have to like the architecture around here, every building is pretty cool in its own right - but some just stand out:

love the buildings

Any way, Terme di Caracalla is a highly recommended place to go if you ask me. Yes, it cost an entrance fee - but it was worth it. I like ruins and these were very nice - the grounds were in excellent condition, it was a really nice place:

terme di caracalla ruins

I really liked the way this shot came out, a bit "ghostly" looking with the fuzzed out windows from the sun. As you can tell - by now, the weather was perfect:

terme di caracalla ghostly view

Then it was off to the S. Giovanni square for a look around and then back to the Coliseum for a last view:

back to the coliseum

And then back to the hotel. A nice big 5 plus hour circle around Rome. Feet hurt, shoes are wet, but I saw a lot of things I hadn't seen before. Back home tomorrow...

POST A COMMENT

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Hopefully you can make it home for the Thanksgiving dinner:)

Wed Nov 22, 11:12:00 AM EST  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

But have you tasted the most important tourist attraction of Rome - food ?

You haven't missed the Amatriciana/Matriciana, have you ;)

Wed Nov 22, 11:35:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Still trying to figure out what "govt" stands for in the address of the new Asktom Beta, government? :) I hope not!

Wed Nov 22, 01:02:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

did you have some local people showing you around or you were DIY ?

Have a safe and speedy trip home !

Wed Nov 22, 04:16:00 PM EST  

Blogger Roderick said....

Great photos!
Best wishes for a safe and hassle-free trip home.
And Happy Thanksgiving!

Wed Nov 22, 08:39:00 PM EST  

Blogger Sidhu said....

Hi Tom

The new Asktom beta looks kewl !

Good Work by the folks !

Thu Nov 23, 06:14:00 AM EST  

Blogger SeanMacGC said....

Thanks Tom,

Great photos, and just the reason I need to revisit that lovely city -- didn't explore the places you have done on my first and only visit, but all now on my to-do list.

Thanks too for the link to Jonathan's blog, and your peristence in pestering him to do such, another gem.

Hope you're home safely.

Fri Nov 24, 07:23:00 PM EST  

Blogger Freudian Slip said....

Great pictures! I am heading out there in 2 weeks and I'm totally psyched!!!
Matt

Mon Nov 27, 07:19:00 AM EST  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home