Tuesday, October 03, 2006

This hurts my head...

A negative database.  The "anti-matter" of databases.  To find out if some record exists, you have to find it out does not exist, if it does not exist in the negative database, it exists!

Not sure about that one yet.  Too many people having problems still with the positive databases out there :)

AdSense

And as a side note, maybe I'll have to rethink that whole "no ad" concept I have.  Wow, that is a lot of cash.

Writing is harder than Coding

I loved this quote:

"So programming has the same relaxing quality as building stuff out of Lego. You know you're going to win in the end. Succeeding is simply a matter of defining what winning is, and possibly spending a lot of time getting there. Those can be hard, but not frightening.

Whereas writing is like painting. You don't have the same total control over the medium. In fact, you probably wouldn't want it."

I think I agree, I'd much rather write a nice programmatic solution to some problem - than write about doing it...

Tomorrow...

I'll be speaking that the Northeast Oracle Users Group in Waltham MA. Ahmed Alomari won't be able to make it so I'm picking up an extra session - will be adding "DML Error Logging" for an hour long talk in the early afternoon. 

I just finished driving down from Hartford CT to Waltham in my spiffy rental car:

IMG_3716

Yes, that is a cherry red PT Cruiser.  Not exactly the car I would choose myself.  In fact at Hertz I was standing there looking at the car, looking at the sign that said it was my car, looking back at the car, looking at the sign - trying to decide if I wanted to try and change vehicles.  I ended up driving it away...  The security guy laughed as I pulled up - but only because I was the first person to be able to get the window down and not have to open the door to give him my license.  If you look at a picture of the dashboard you might understand why.  The window controls are way up there, under the clock.  Not a very standard location.

Anyway, it came with Sirius satellite radio - and I found channel 98.  An entire channel dedicated to the Rolling Stones.  Nothing but the Stones - old stuff.  It was sort of fun driving down in the funky car with the old Stones music blasting.

Small pleasures, doesn't take much...

POST A COMMENT

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I was in Waltham over the weekend, hanging a kitchen at a friend's new house. I hope that you brought a jacket, as the low was in the 30s last night.
Had the pleasure of working with (his) brand new tools:
Porter Cable 1 3/4 HP router
Bosch Jigsaw
Bosch Circular Saw
Porter Cable set of finish nailers, compressor
Ryobi (ugh) table saw
and a new 10" 80T finish crosscut blade for his mitre box.

New tools with new bits and blades, empty house without distractions. Fridge full of beer for after the workday has ended. That was *almost* a vacation.

Pd

Tue Oct 03, 05:16:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

uh oh....

power tools (with some umph...)

fridge full of beer.

hope that was cause (using tools) and effect (later having a beer) :)

Tue Oct 03, 07:15:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Note that Waltham would be "up" from Hartford, not "down".

Tue Oct 03, 07:23:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

up/down, laughing out loud.

Yes, clearly Waltham is "up" from Hartford.

It all seemed downhill in the car :)

Tue Oct 03, 07:30:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Noons said....

so, to find Waltham you ask the gps database for what? Up? Down? Sideways? :-)

I knew there was a reason to prefer three-valued logic: "negative" databases just confirmed it.

Ever wondered how searches would work in an anti-matter universe?

Tue Oct 03, 08:06:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

in the anti-matter database, they all start with NOT :)

Tue Oct 03, 08:11:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Did you read this comment on the AdSense article?
Looks like you'd better link to the original page.

Wed Oct 04, 02:13:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom - I read that negative database idea in the actual paper version of the Economist when it came out a few weeks ago. I am just curious how you hit on in the event you don't get "The Economist". In other words, what sent you to it? I only ask because I'm interested in cutting down on the blogs/sites I visit on a daily basis and if you were linked there, that might be worth checking out. (The explosion of news of all kinds is too much to digest - I need a few good "database" places other than the usual Oracle haunts.)

Wed Oct 04, 02:26:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

The steering wheel is on the wrong side too

Wed Oct 04, 03:55:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Doug Burns said....

AdSense
And as a side note, maybe I'll have to rethink that whole "no ad" concept I have. Wow, that is a lot of cash.


Doug Burns - $7.09 per month

I don't think you'll see ads on my site for much longer ;-) It was just an experiment anyway.

I suppose it's punishment for publishing photographs of semi-naked database technologists ...

Wed Oct 04, 04:46:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

... I am just curious how you hit on in ....

reddit.com ;)

Wed Oct 04, 06:39:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

"anti-bonus"

I got some junk mail from the Economist, something about "What type of person reads the Economist?" There was a picture of the President on Air Force One holding a copy. It didn't actually say he reads it, the text said Condi and so forth. It struck me as unintentionally anti-Economist, after I poked about wondering if The Onion was trying to push a hardcopy version or something.

So in the negative database universe, what is not in (null)? Does the anti-Kyte have a goatee? :-)

word: shorgjyf

Wed Oct 04, 10:08:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

The world of the negative database does tend to be very quick.
If not exists is a good quick test for inserting records into large positive databases!

Wed Oct 04, 10:13:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Robert said....

Hmmm you in that cherry red PT Cruiser...
in the words of Paris Hilton:
"That's hot"


lol

Wed Oct 04, 05:06:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Noons said....

So in the negative database universe, what is not in (null)?

don't forget that in negdbs, the result set is just the start: the real work is in getting the predicates!
:-)
.
.
.

Wed Oct 04, 07:29:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Dave C said....

I would've asked for another car.

Thu Oct 05, 10:15:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Just flew to LA...got the same make/color Car:)

Thu Oct 05, 12:35:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

don't forget channel 10, The Who, 24x7.......btw I saw the Stone at Gillette Stadium (where the Patriots play) and they were fantastic, I hope I can dance like Sir Mick when I'm 63.....

Fri Oct 06, 12:34:00 PM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home