Thursday, October 05, 2006

Real Flying...

Yesterday was long - I did four sessions at the NOUG and by the time I was done, I was fairly tired.  It is amazing how hard on the feet standing that long and talking can be.

So, I got in my rented PT Cruiser and headed for Boston's Logan airport.  I got there to find my flight was delayed (big surprise) but only by 45 minutes.  And then by 1:15, then 1:45, then 2:15, then 2:30, then 3:00 hours.  Finally, after being in the airport for about 5 hours (I got there early, thought I'd grab a bite to eat at the legal seafood before my flight...) we boarded.

And this was the view:

Real Flying...

Great seats - every seat is a window seat, every seat is an aisle seat as well.  No bad seats (the bad seats are right by the toilet with the good smelling blue water) - since there were no toilets.  It is almost like you are flying the plane yourself as you lean out into the aisle there - nice view out the front of the plane.

Service was good, the same guys that checked the seatbelts, did the "here are the exits", flew the plane and helped with the luggage at each end.

The Augusta Maine airport is not very large, if you could not gather that from the above.

The neat thing about this flight (I was expecting all of this, the delay, the small plane and all - been there, done that) is the fact it is not a direct flight.  It "connects" through Rockland (to drop off a couple of people and deliver packages).  The Rockland airport is a single strip in the middle of a marsh, the terminal is a double wide trailer.  When you land (landing in one of these planes is "real flying", you get the full experience of motion), you do not pull off onto a siding and taxi back, they just spin the plane around and drive back down the runway (as there is nothing else there).

Oh well, after todays session - drive to Portland Maine and fly back to Washington and home.  Looking forward to it.

POST A COMMENT

8 Comments:

Anonymous Guy said....

These little planes and airports are even funnier in the winter with snow and ice... Happened to me once during a Feb. blizzard in New Brunswick...

Thu Oct 05, 11:08:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Mark Brady said....

If you sit in the seat by the door and bring headphones with a 1/4" jack you can listen to the pilots communications with the tower and ATC.

Landing in Columbus in the snow, the pilots asked if they could use the runway close to the gates for the turboprops. The tower said, no one has tried today but give it a shot.

The one time I wish I wasn't listening.

Thu Oct 05, 11:57:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Scott said....

Gonna miss you in Portland, ME by 1 day - flying up there Sat AM for Brian's wedding.

Careful - there was a 3.5 earthquake up in Bar Harbor the other day!

- Scott -

Thu Oct 05, 12:30:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

Those small planes are definitely a different flying experience. Once a travel agent booked me a trip out of LAX, connecting from San Diego. The SD leg was on one of those, I thought it was fun but Laurie didn't. It took just about as long to do it that way as it would have had I driven to LAX. A shuttle would have been quicker (though their availability from my house to LAX varies).

I had a flight to Idaho on a small turboprop once, it was so loud that it was very tiring.

Thu Oct 05, 01:11:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Nigel Kyte said....

Hi Tom,a bit OT but i hope you dont mind. my uncle was called Tom Kyte, of Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK - any relation?

Thu Oct 05, 05:35:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

any relation?

Not that I am aware of, we are 5th/6th generation over on this side of the pond.

Thu Oct 05, 09:22:00 PM EDT  

Blogger TOR Hershman said....

Yeah, bein' DNA really stinks.

Stay on Groovin' Safari,
TOR

Fri Oct 06, 12:26:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Anton Nielsen said....

Hey Tom,

You should have let me know you were just headed up to Maine, I would have offered you a ride. No aisle seats, though...
http://linux.concept2completion.net:7778/portal/page/portal/rv1/test1/DSC06589.jpg


Anton

Tue Oct 10, 04:58:00 PM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home