Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Monday at OOW

Busy day today... Went to the initial keynotes and because I thought my meet and greet was at 11:30, not 11:00 (as it was) I showed up late.  It worked out OK though as we stayed for an extra half hour till 12:00 and everyone stayed.  It was a good event, lots of questions and I appreciate Tim Hall being there on time (really, I'm never late, this is the first time in forever I can remember messing up the timing like that!)

Later, I had my first talk.  It was nerve wracking watching the room go from this:

IMG_3966

to this:

IMG_3985

but I wasn't really nervous until this guy came in:

kjacobs

Ken Jacobs - aka "Dr DBA".  I had to make him part of the presentation and quickly did - from the very first slide.  He was instrumental in founding the division I work in and I've known him for a long long time.  When I got a question on asktom once about "why is dual named dual?" he was the only one that could help get the true answer! (although as I look back at that thread, I really like the answer I gave to the next 'review' - "I will never talk to you again" :)

Anyway, full room, lots of chuckles (when I expected them, not during any of the serious parts...) - all in all, I thought it worked out OK.

Tomorrow, another busy one - it'll slow down by Thursday.  Sort of glad I'm staying way off the beaten path.  Makes me get to the hotel early at night and into bed at a reasonable hour.

POST A COMMENT

12 Comments:

Blogger Noons said....

Good to see Ken is still around. Tell him I still have one of the first video presentations he made for Oracle, back in the early 80s! Boy, didn't we look different back then... :-)

Tue Oct 24, 01:13:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous John Scott said....

Great session Tom, enjoyed it a lot, the only downside was me forgetting to have my picture taken with you after the session (I introduced myself as a new ACE and was too awe-struck to form coherent sentences).

Thanks again for a superb session.

Tue Oct 24, 02:43:00 AM EDT  

Blogger SeanMacGC said....

Hello Tom,
Any chance of those slides being generally available at some point?
Ta.

Tue Oct 24, 09:37:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Arunkumar said....

Hi Tom,
I am a regular reader of your blogs.

For those who couldnt make it to OW, are the videos of your presentation (and of others) uploaded in OW site?

If so, can you give us the link. Would benefit a much larger crowd than the one in ur snap :)

Thanks,
Arun

Tue Oct 24, 09:41:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

The material I presented may be downloaded using this link

(you might have to right click/save as using IE for whatever reason)

Tue Oct 24, 09:46:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Niall said....

That looks a great presentation Tom.

Tue Oct 24, 11:12:00 AM EDT  

Blogger SeanMacGC said....

lots of chuckles...

I now understand why! :o)

Tue Oct 24, 11:26:00 AM EDT  

Blogger nilendu said....

Thanks for the presentation material :) Is there a way we could also see the material for today's presentation?

Tue Oct 24, 07:05:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Robert said....

hehe Ken is a big guy, pretty hard to miss ;)

He's what ? employee #12 or something ? He was actually involved in hands-on building of the server kernel right ?

Wed Oct 25, 12:22:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Sokrates said....

Tom Kyte is always right
Never question him
Counter Cases do not prove anything
If something is written down (by him) it must be true

great presentation !
I really liked it!

Wed Oct 25, 04:09:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Noons said....

Thanks for the dl link, Tom.
Just had a chuckle reading the presentation with the guys at the office.

So true! And if it's any consolation, I think you were too polite and mild in a number of instances! :-)

Wed Oct 25, 07:46:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

This was my first time meeting Tom and I have to say he is a real class act. He stayed after the presentation and met everyone who waited, shook hands, signed autographs, took pictures, etc. Someone of his celebrity could get away with not being nearly as nice, but Tom pulls it off with stunning aplomb and great charisma.

Thu Oct 26, 02:26:00 AM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home