Monday, October 02, 2006

Maybe they could use a database...

United just sent me an email, it started with:

Dear Mr Thomas J Kyte, 

Here's a special opportunity for you to earn or retain elite status
or even achieve a higher elite level for 2007!

Simply register, pay US$499 and earn double Elite Qualifying
Miles/Segments every time you fly a qualifying flight between
October 24 and December 16, 2006.

I found it funny for two reasons:



  • They should know I have attained their highest documented status for 2007 already.  Hence, this email doesn't really apply to me.  Maybe a database would help them out here?
  • "Simply register, pay US$499" - that just made me chuckle for some reason.  As if paying $499 is part of "simply registering" in all walks of life.

well, maybe for three reasons.  "Here is a special opportunity for you to spend just about a half of a thousand dollars for us to treat you better".  That opening paragraph was pretty eye catching after you read the second.


I guess it would be appealing to the people that otherwise would buy a round trip ticket to Hong Kong or somewhere far away (from here, the US) to keep their status.  Guess United read articles like that and said "hey, we can save the gas and still get the money" :)

POST A COMMENT

6 Comments:

Blogger Chi Hoang said....

When I used to travel a lot, I kept up with the frequent flyer message boards and saw that a few people actually registered for that option.

The way I see it, if you don't fly enough to get to a certain status, I wouldn't worry too much about getting to that status. I still have upgrade points left over because I couldn't get an upgrade using them most of the time (between SFO and JFK).

Mon Oct 02, 10:08:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

In the 80's I made an extra little vacation at a local Hotel Intercontinental so I could get a free flight to Europe and a free stay in an Intercontinental (Vienna) there. Wound up being a much cheaper vacation skiing in Innsbruck than it would have been locally.

Can't say as I really understood how me getting much more stuff than the incremental cost cost me, benefitted them.

Tue Oct 03, 12:39:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Thomas >>J<< Kite?
What's the J for?
I never read it in one of your books.

Tue Oct 03, 12:37:00 PM EDT  

Blogger jimk said....

Fortunately, the J doesn't stand for Wayne. Next time your daughter brings home a new boyfriend ask his middle name

I doon't know the validity of the anecdotal study, but I am glad my boys don't have a middle name of Wayne!

Tue Oct 03, 01:12:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Maybe they can use a [preferably exactly one indeed] database properly.

They probably preferred to “put more of those dollars toward innovation” … right.

Tue Oct 03, 01:33:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

J is for Jeffrey

Tue Oct 03, 04:32:00 PM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home