Wednesday, October 11, 2006

KCOUG Training Day...

I'm currently at the KCOUG (Kansas City OUG) training day. I just did the "keynote" talk and then sat in on this guys presentation (first time I met Steven Feuerstein in person):

Me and Steven Feuerstein

He had a bit of a problem projecting with his laptop - just would not work at all. I ended up sharing my laptop with him and he drove his talk from there. That was a bummer because much like me - he uses live demonstrations to drive home a point, but since this was so last minute (in fact he started late because of this problem), it was all we could do to get the slides over. Hopefully, we'll have that fixed for the afternoon session.

It was a bummer to miss the demonstrations though, would have made the points he was making that much stronger. One thing he did I liked a bit and will have to play with myself was "drawing on the screen" while talking:

Steven Feuerstein slide

All of the red on there - added by mousing it in as he was talking. I thought it was pretty effective - not sure that I've seen it before (or if I have, it wasn't done in a useful fashion :). It worked well.

Anyway, it was the first time I met Steven, his talk was pretty good - he is an excellent presenter - very comfortable up there in front of the room. He rolled with the "lack of projection" issue easily enough - some people would freak out and not be able to continue or be so flustered by the problem it would affect their entire talk, for him - it was just a bump in the road.

Looking forward to the rest of the day - two more talks to go... Then off for Rhode Island, Boston and home.... (for a week, no travels next week)



Blogger Hae-Kwang said....

Hi Tom; I was just curious - at what point regarding one's expertise of Oracle would you say that the conferences / seminars / other events related to the topic would be most beneficial to an individual? After a handful of years mining for data from Oracle databases, I'm still a very new newbie (finally got around to ordering from Amazon the Hands-On books that you mentioned in one of the 200608 posts, yay!!!). Ever since I've found out about Oracle World, etc., I've been eager to become knowledgeable enough on the subject to be 'qualified' to attend those.

Side note: Second to last paragraph ...
"Anyway, it was the first time I meant Steven, " ...
I'm guessing you meant 'met'? Undecided as to whether the pun is intended or not.

Wed Oct 11, 01:19:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I meant "met" :) no pun intended, thanks!

The conferences are useful for *everyone* at *every* level.


Wed Oct 11, 01:31:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Phil said....

That's crazy that you'd never met Steven up to this point. You're both 'experts in Oracle-based programming' and while he focuses on PL/SQL and you're more of a 'generalist', one would think you'd find yourselves at such gatherings more often!!!

Wed Oct 11, 02:16:00 PM EDT  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

Was there some particular technology behind the mousey red lines, or is that built into powerpoint (or whatever the software was)?

Wed Oct 11, 04:12:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

ctl-p and you be drawing.... (escape and you are done drawing)

Wed Oct 11, 04:24:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

What did you like about Steven's presentation (other then his abilities and technique of presenting)?

My first Oracle book (outside the docs) was his PL/SQL book (for Oracle version 8). It was a eye opener for me on what was possible in Oracle PL/SQL and what was already there for me to use. But since reading your books and migrating to version 9 way back when, I have not really gone back to his book or website (I think Oracle's 9i and 10g online docs are fantastic in both layout and content).

Wed Oct 11, 04:28:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Dan Loomis said....

I agree that it seems crazy that you guys haven't met in person yet. One would think that you would have crossed paths at OpenWorld at least.

Wed Oct 11, 06:00:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Dan Loomis said....

I agree that it seems crazy that you guys haven't met in person yet. One would think that you would have crossed paths at OpenWorld at least.

Wed Oct 11, 06:01:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....


I second what Tom said about every level. There are many newbie presentations, and even those of us who are experienced are newbies at many things.

In the past, there have been some complaints about OpenWorld being too commercial or too heavy on the hype, and while that may be true, there are still way too many presentations that are as technical as you want to be. The presentations do list their target audience. Many of the presentations are similar to the Oracle Education classes, which alone cost $Ks, so there's a justification if you need one to get your company to pay. Other conferences may be better if you are more technically experienced and can only choose one, but OpenWorld and the IOUG are so huge they have a wide variety. I'm bummed I can't get to OpenWorld this year, but I'm hoping for IOUG in Las Vegas next April..

word: cramiin

Wed Oct 11, 06:24:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Chuck Saunders said....

Hi Tom, Thanks for providing an excellent day of presentations. I wish we could have been treated to your 2-1/2 hour Binds talk. Sorry that your mouse choose to leave the operational scene. And if I may add, you can always get something out of conferences, training days and even regular user group meetings. Get involved and learn in return.

Wed Oct 11, 07:49:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

What did you like about Steven's presentation

He has a really good knowledge of PLSQL, promotes lots of good PLSQL programming practices.

I particularly liked his testing presentation - he has a new tool coming out that looks interesting (for unit testing of plsql).

While he and I won't agree on 100% of the ways should be approached - he is much more "procedural" than I am defintely - we would agree more than we disagree and he (or I) would entertain being convinced otherwise (eg: he is pretty reasonable and open to discussion...). Seemed like a nice high energy guy...

Wed Oct 11, 07:56:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

>>he has a new tool coming out that
looks interesting (for unit testing of plsql).

Really? That sounds interesting. I usually do all of my testing by hand. Do you think this has the potential to be useful?

Thu Oct 12, 11:22:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Do you think this has the potential to be useful?

It'll help you automate the unit test process, yes. Without having to write tons of scripts yourself.

Thu Oct 12, 11:26:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Daniel Fink said....

I know the KC BBQ was good, but how was the Kansas City sushi?

Sat Oct 14, 10:22:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

The sushi was dandy :)

Sun Oct 15, 03:33:00 AM EDT  


<< Home