Saturday, September 16, 2006

Paris...

I arrived in Paris France this morning.  Going to be doing some seminars in Europe with Oracle University over the next two weeks.

I cannot believe I forgot my battery and charger for my camera in the plug at home.  I realized it just before boarding my flight.  And I could not find a replacement today.  It'll be fed-exed to me in Zurich later this week - but no pictures here in Paris.  And they would have been good.  I took a couple with my phone (a treo 650) but they stink:

Photo_091606_001

That is the Arch De Triumph viewed from new the Louvre.  My hotel is right next to the Arch and I decided to walk to the Louvre - not too far, about 45/60 minutes.  There were dozens of things worthy of photographing... I'm definitely going to have to come back (for my 4th visit, with my camera this time...)

Anyway, I spent most of the day in the Louvre.  I got through some of it - but will have to go back tomorrow to finish. 

Photo_091606_004

You could spent a couple of days in there - it might not be as big as the Vatican Museum (I don't think it is), but it is huge.  And awesome.  The crowds were light - it was easy to navigate, well laid out, plenty of space and most all of it pretty good.  I admit, paintings start to bore me after a bit - but I like the statues, objects de' art, and other three dimensional things.

Photo_091606_007

I really really wish I had my camera charger - I am so bummed about that.  Not only that - but I just discovered the XM Inno plug - it is 120v, it won't work here without a converter - something else I didn't bring.  So, I had music today but that is it - no more, the battery is dead and it won't charge...

Live

and learn...

I'm hating proprietary batteries right now - my phone, my XM radio, my camera all take similar but different batteries.

And only the phone will charge off of the USB port even though both the camera and XM radio have USB ports.... That would have solved all of the problems...

POST A COMMENT

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom, does your Treo get service over in Europe? Or do you need to get different cards? And XM radio works there as well? I'm impressed.

Sat Sep 16, 04:01:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I have an unlocked GSM treo with T-Mobile service. Works great in Europe.

The XM Inno records - every night I have it record 8 hours of some channels and there is always 50 hours of rotating music on it.

So, it is like an MP3 player with "surprise music" - whatever I recorded over the last 6-7 days...

Sat Sep 16, 04:07:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Samuel said....

welcome to Paris Tom !
I'll you see on monday for the 2 days training ;)

Sat Sep 16, 04:17:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sat Sep 16, 05:50:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Olivier said....

Welcome to France Tom ! When i saw you were giving a 2 days training in Paris i could not believe it ... and finally got agreement from top management to join your training session in Paris. See you next Monday at Colombes :)
Olivier

Sat Sep 16, 06:44:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom,
Why not buy a new camera in Paris than regretting not getting those batteries?

Sat Sep 16, 10:03:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous jakob said....

Sattinger's Law: It works better if you plug it in.

Sun Sep 17, 03:35:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Phil said....

I love my iGo charger (www.igo.com). Universal charger...with one charger I can charge/run my laptop and recharge a peripheral: my mobile, my wife's, two different digital cameras, a digital video camera, my portable media center...and basically any other toy that I buy.

This works by different 'tips' which are quite tiny and have the appropriate plug and 'instructions' as to the voltage/current that can be delivered.

It drives from any wall in the world, a car, or airplanes with Empower plugs.

And...as for your particular situation, why not just buy one of those disposable 'film' cameras and simply get them developed digitally? Not quite 'instant' gratification but...

Et, bonjour a Paris!

Sun Sep 17, 03:37:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I've the iGo, but it doesn't apply here. It is not a plug that I'm missing - it is the charger itself, the different tips would unfortunately not help :)

Sun Sep 17, 04:18:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

the Louvre is much larger than the Vatican Museumin fact it's larger than the Vatican

Sun Sep 17, 11:57:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I don't know, the Vatican Museums are rather large

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Settori.html

could be - not sure.

Sun Sep 17, 12:04:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Paul said....

Tom - Arch de Triumph . That's some sort of joke I take it?
They also have a horse race named after it, and it's not The Kentucky Derby!

Mon Sep 18, 04:41:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

That's some sort of joke

No, not really, not sure what you meant?

Mon Sep 18, 05:24:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Batteries... that's why I always buy cameras that can use rechargeable or alkaline AA batteries - you can find them almost everywhere :)

Mon Sep 18, 05:27:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

No, not really, not sure what you meant?

I can't believe it. This on a french website.

Tue Sep 19, 10:24:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Benedictus PP. XVI said....

"the Vatican Museums are rather large"

so true - and you cannot always measure largeness in square feet !

Tue Sep 19, 02:55:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Roderick said....

- I always thought it was spelled Arc de Triomphe.
- The whole city of Paris is practically a museum itself.
- The Treo is like a pin-hole camera. I wish it could take better quality pictures by default, but some shots will have a nice water-color painting effect.
- Probably too late to tell you now, but there's a really good chocolate shop just off the Champs-Élysées.

Tue Sep 19, 03:52:00 PM EDT  

Blogger lei said....

Tom, I was in 2 days training in Paris, it makes me feel that there are a lot of things that I need to learn. It is a very impressive seminar, thank you so much.

Tue Sep 19, 04:34:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Dvanes said....

Help is on the way

http://www.moixaenergy.com/page.asp?pageid=3

Wed Sep 20, 05:03:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous David said....

Hi,
according to wikipedia english article, the Louvre is the biggest museum in the world.

As for the Vatican : the whole Vatican is 0.44 Km², the Louvres is 0.16 Km².

Wed Sep 20, 08:11:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Very Good article , this article make some interesting points.
Tactical Flashlights
r c helicopter
video game
Tactical Flashlight

Mon Jun 23, 02:42:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Camera Chargers said....

Best tips for Camera charger!

Wed Dec 03, 03:12:00 AM EST  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home