Saturday, September 23, 2006

Looking forward to tomorrow...

Just arrived this morning in Vienna

IMG_3488

after being in Paris and Zurich all last week.  It felt like a really long week - and it was.  Jet lagged a little bit last weekend (without camera, in Paris, ugh).  Then 2 days of seminar delivery.  Flew to Zurich Wednesday morning and spent 4 hours with a local customer and then 2 hours with the Swiss Oracle User Group.  Thursday and Friday was another two days of seminar delivery.

Which means I couldn't really do everything else I normally do during the week.  So, my inbox grew a scrollbar (nirvana is no scrollbar).  Today was the day of "beat back the scrollbar".  I have it down to 6 and I might be able to get it down to 5 or even 4 before the evening is over.

I'm sort of glad they are upgrading the air conditioning in my office back home.  Asktom is "offline" this weekend while they do that - so I was not distracted by that all day.

Tomorrow I'm just going to kick back and relax.  I have a tour setup, will be going around the old section of Vienna (with camera) and am very much looking forward to that.  From the very little I've seen - Vienna looks nice.

(did you know it takes a couple of minutes to create a table with 50,000 partitions :)  It is almost finished and after it is, I can go out and look for some dinner...)

POST A COMMENT

12 Comments:

Anonymous John Mills said....

Tom,

Not to bore you with anything, I did PLSQL training at a reputable University here in New York, three years ago and have not been able to get a job using it.

I would like to keep myself up to date with it. Do you know of any software that I can get to do some practice?

Thanks

Sat Sep 23, 06:25:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

What was that you mentioned here on creating a table with 50000 partitions...

Sat Sep 23, 07:05:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom,

I have been reading your blog for over a year now, and in the first instance I must congratulate you on the content.

It seems that you get to do a lot of travelling, my question is do you enjoy this lifestyle, and how do you cope away from home (wife and kids etc)? Anyway hope you enjoy your remaining time in europe.

Sat Sep 23, 08:54:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Velu said....

"I'm sort of glad they "
Hope you don't have to use the glove any more

Velu

Sat Sep 23, 09:45:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom,

Why did you not just buy a new camera in Paris?!

Sat Sep 23, 11:37:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Robert said....

Ah Vienna...
I left Taiwan for Vienna at 15 & lived there for 3 years before I came to the US.
I HATED it (old people, old buildings, parks everywhere...music? who cares...just too darn slow) and was itching to come to NY.
Yeah, dumb kid <shake_head>

Sun Sep 24, 01:24:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Do you know of any software that I can get to do some practice?

John - you can

a) download Oracle XE, it is free to download, develop, deploy and even distribute.

b) if you don't want to install a database on your machine, you are free to use apex.oracle.com,
they'll host your PLSQL application(s) for free as well.

table with 50000 partitions.

I'm investigating a performance related issue for someone... Need a table with 50,000 partitions to try to reproduce their issue.

my question is do you enjoy this lifestyle

Much of the time, sure. All of the time, no. I travel a lot, but I am also home a lot. It comes and goes in bursts.

the glove any more...

I still have my heater fan to blow warm air over my keyboard :) This air conditioner upgrade is for the data center, not the place where I sit.

Why did you not just buy a new camera in Paris?!

I'm planning on buying a new one in the next 6 months or so - however, I want to research it and get the right one. I did not really want to spend (a significant amount of) money on a camera and not be happy with it.

Sun Sep 24, 01:40:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Paul said....

'Paris - Some sort of joke...'

Tom - sorry for the delay in replying, but I'm afraid my vistits to the blog and AskTom are less frequent as (keep it quiet) I have to use SQL Server day to day. Anyway, Arc de Triomphe is what I was getting at when you were in Paris , not Arch de Triumph

Sun Sep 24, 06:31:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Hi

Just to let you know
Have been trying to log into
http://asktom.oracle.com/

but server unavailable !

Anybody else having problems

Thanks

Ian

Sun Sep 24, 07:05:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

Ian,

as Tom says in this very entry:

'Asktom is "offline" this weekend'

Sun Sep 24, 07:46:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Dear Tom,
I don't mean to bug you, but seems there's some problem after the upgrade, when I click on submit for the review I get error on the page as object expected, any idea on this or the upgradation is still going on, I need your help on few questions I have, awaiting for your site to be up and running (http:\\asktom.oracle.com).

Thanks as always for your help to Oracle users.

Regards,
Vijay Sehgal

Mon Sep 25, 05:17:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Vijay - the upgrade was to the air conditioning, I doubt that affected the software at all :)

I just tried - no problems from where I'm sitting.

what browser/operating system are you using?

Mon Sep 25, 07:17:00 AM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home