Saturday, September 30, 2006

Dbforum 2006, in the past...

The database forum just finished.  I am back in Malov Denmark - outside of Copenhagen - for the night to await my flight back home.  The database forum was a neat event.  I was a track leader - meaning I actually had some ongoing responsibilities during the conference.  But that also meant I got to attend all of the sessions in my track, something I don't always get to do.

So, what will I miss about the dbforum?  Not this guy, one Doug Burns:

Doug Burns at the end

He looks friendly enough, but looks can be deceiving :)  All of these guys - definitely.  I got to meet and "re-meet" a lot of people.  I recognized some people from prior seminars and got to meet lots of new people I hadn't before:

Audience

I definitely will not miss these beds!  The rooms were comfortable - but six people and one shower... Interesting in the morning:

Not going to miss the beds too much

I'll definitely miss the goats - not every conference has goats you know (it is true! believe it or not)

The Goats

 All in all, the housing was very nice, some 1,100 'cottages' all over the place.  Lots of people around (besides the conference attendees).  It was definitely fun (and don't let Jonathan Lewis know that I picked up a thing or two from his session)...

The Cottages were quaint

On the way out the door, I spied some artifacts from Mogens Oracle Museum, a copy of the Version 3 and Version 4 Oracle:

Blast from the past

 I picked up the documentation and was browsing through it, stumbled upon a chapter on the ORDER BY clause.  Learned something new.  I thought ORDER BY had always sorted NULLS to be "high" (big).  Until 8.1.6 with analytics when they extended the ORDER BY to support NULLS FIRST and NULLS LAST so we could decide.  But apparently in Versions 3 and 4, it was different:

Things Change...

It says there that NULLS always come first.  And sure enough:

screen1 screen2

So, over time - things change.  Hey, that was part of my presentation on Friday night.  That is what makes "experts" wrong so many times.  Because things change and what they think they know - just ain't so anymore.

POST A COMMENT

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Was this event open to the public? Sounds like a good one to attend in the future.

Sat Sep 30, 01:42:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Oh yes, open to the public... But remember, this was the very very last dbforum that followed the very last dbforum that followed the last dbforum.....

You get the picture :)

Sat Sep 30, 04:08:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Phil said....

You seem to have stumbled upon more than just documentation...where did you manage to find a computer running Oracle 4.1.1?!?!?

From the screenshot, it would appear that this was done in 2006...though the date is a little incongruous (9th April 2006).

Sun Oct 01, 05:17:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Noons said....

from a vague past memory, I do recall that NULLs became "high" with V7. They were low all the way until then. Some lengthy explanation of it in the readme files in 7.0, I forget what the reason was. ANSI compliance? Maybe...

Sun Oct 01, 07:00:00 AM EDT  

Blogger sanchapanzo said....

Is there a way through which you can actually place your presentations here ?

Sun Oct 01, 10:09:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Niall said....

Machine running Oracle 4 - You could have one too

Sun Oct 01, 11:15:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Leo Mannhart said....

Oracle V3 and V4 ... hmmm that were the days where you could read (c) by RSI, right? I remember, I started Oracle V4.1 on VM/CMS ...

Mon Oct 02, 03:25:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Sorry, you are not old enough. Started with version 2.0 on PDP 11/44 running RSX and PDP 11/70 running RSX 11m+.
We did have a version 1.x to play with before we got V2 shipped on a nice tape. Two UFI (SQL*Plus) users would "almost" kill our PDP 11/44 with dare I say 768K memory. Forms 1.0, RPT/RPF, OCI, no sissy PRO*C, PRO*COBOL. Oh those were the days.
Would I do it again, oh hell yes; what journey it has been and still is!

Mon Oct 02, 11:15:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Marco Gralike said....

Blast ;-)

I had to choose OR the OOW2006 or the last Miracle dbforum. Reading your and Dougs blog articles, I more and more regret not being there ;-)

What do you think, has Morgard some time left to copy/scan the (Oracle 4) doc's ;-)

Tue Oct 10, 06:11:00 AM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home