Friday, September 29, 2006

dbforum 2006, day 1

We are in the middle of day 1 of the very very last dbforum (full set of pictures here) in Lalandia (somewhere in the middle of Denmark). I arrived in Copenhagen Wednesday night after finishing the seminars in Paris, Zurich and Vienna. Quite a few of us showed up Wednesday in time for dinner

Dinner the night before dbforum

After dinner, it was back to Mogens house for some computer time around his big oak table:

Shrek hiding behind some beer at the oaktable

The next day, it was time to drive to Lalandia. It is a rather unique place to say the least, basically a "family vacation" spot, but is now inhabited by 150 Oracle DBAs and developers. Mogens kicked off the forum Thursday night with a nice introduction

Mogens kicks off dbforum 2006

As part of this session, there was a quiz - 42 questions about Oracle. Things technical and things trivia were asked. The audience were broken into three groups:

  • Miracle Employees (Mogens runs Miracle AS in Denmark)
  • Oak table members (the group I was in)
  • Attendees not in either group above

Now, we all took the test at the same time - answering the 42 questions. Afterwards we exchanged papers and graded them. This was the interesting part - as it is really really hard to write un-ambiguous questions. So, there were a couple of "hey, but this answer is valid too" (yes, I raised a few of those myself :)

Then we found the high score from each group... I was nervous as I had a pretty good score - but I was pretty sure that Jonathan Lewis would as well:

Jonathan Lewis

The reason for being nervous is written on the slide right behind Jonathan there - it says:

"If a tie, we will have a penalty kick off. The persons vying for the place will ask each other an Oracle question. First to miss, looses"

I was hoping for "not a tie". So, they started counting down the points. 42 - no one had 42. 41 - that was me. Jonathan did not also jump up, so there was no tie there. I did find out what his score was however. 40 and 5/7ths (partial credit for one of his answers). It may only have been 2/7ths of a point, but it was 2/7ths of a point.

What did I win? I won a certificate entitling me to a bed (not the floor), priority at the shower, and breakfast served in my room (if desired) the next time I stay at Mogens house. Now, you might say "big deal", but trust me - that is a big deal. I am keeping that certificate, it will come in handy some time in the future.

I did have a question ready however, just in case. It was going to be:

"What is described in chapter 21 of the 10gR2 Data Warehousing Guide?"

I figured unless he had been reading it that morning as I had been (I referred someone to it in an answer on asktom), he probably would not know off the top of his head. I shudder to think of what he might have had for his question.

Then it was time for some relaxation:

Mogens Says

and a drink or two, here is Doug Burns sampling the tequila:

Doug samples the tequilla

and it was downhill from there. Anyway, back to the sessions - just heard from Mogens about "how not to manage a project" and David Kurtz just finished "worst packaged application design decisions". Just waiting for Tim Gorman to deliver "how NOT to do your data warehouse". Can you tell - I'm the track leader for the "worst practices" track :)

POST A COMMENT

14 Comments:

Anonymous Doug Burns said....

I might add that I only managed 1.5 tequilas and then I was *first* in bed.

Fri Sep 29, 06:13:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Pete_S said....

Do I get a prize for knowing the chapter 21 question answer?
I was just reading it to check on some detail for my UKOUG presentation - the one you won't get to see, Tom ;-)

Fri Sep 29, 06:20:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Doug - you may have been first to bed, but you were also first to BEER this morning.

Not like hard working studious Anjo here, with plenty of water to rehydrate.

Fri Sep 29, 07:00:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Sokrates said....

41 out of 42 ?
I guess loads of people want to know
what did you not know ?

Fri Sep 29, 07:19:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I'll never tell :) Some where worth more than one (so I missed more than one)

Fri Sep 29, 07:21:00 AM EDT  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

Do we get a look at the question list? :)

Fri Sep 29, 11:34:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Very interesting, but who's that girl in the right lower corner of the first picture? :-)

Fri Sep 29, 12:43:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Philip said....

Do we get a chance to see a copy of the "worst of" presentations?

Fri Sep 29, 12:50:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

why is this the last DB Forum? It sounds like you guys get a good turn out.

Fri Sep 29, 01:24:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

What kind of Oracle questions could you or Johnathan possibly get wrong? "What does the 4th line on the 3082nd page of the kernel code say..."??

Fri Sep 29, 04:40:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Rachel said....

As you well know, that certificate is worth way more than its weight in gold. From the last time around, when I had to tiptoe around all the fallen bodies on the floor (that XX chromosome thing I have going entitled me to a a bed :) )

Fri Sep 29, 05:16:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Kevin Krause said....

reminds me of the old Clapton anecdote. In this case, "Tom is god".

Fri Sep 29, 09:45:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Msquare said....

As the Author of the question list, and the master of running that social event: The list is available for the participants, and I didnt put any copyright on it. Remember though (whoever starts distributing) they were there for fun, not as an Oracle Exam, and the grading process changed some of the answers, by common consent (and my whims).

Sat Sep 30, 05:46:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Very Good article , this article make some interesting points.
Tactical Flashlights
r c helicopter
video game
Tactical Flashlight

Mon Jun 23, 02:42:00 AM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home