Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Travel is glamorous...

Travel is glamorous. That is the old saying. I have over 70 airline segments this year and will have my 100K locked in for next year any day now.

It isn’t glamorous. It is tedious sometimes, fun sometimes. I read three stories recently that drive this point home.

The first one was “woman gets kicked off plane because of handbag”. The bag was Gucci you see – far too precious to be stowed away like everyone else’s bag. So, rather than stow it away, she delayed the entire flight for an hour. I don’t know who I would have been more upset with – the woman or the airline, for not removing her more expediently. I’ve seen many a person get bent out of shape because they had to do something (trivial) that they didn’t want to do. It is not much use arguing with the flight attendants – they know who will win that argument.

The next one is sadder. If you are going on a trip to get psychological treatment, perhaps a nice train ride or a bus would be better than a plane. I often sit near the door (economy plus seating on United). I don’t know what I would do if someone went a bit over the edge and started to try and open it. That would be alarming.

Lastly – this one is inexcusable on part of the airline (worse for me – the airline I fly the most on). To be locked up in a plane on the tarmac for over an hour at or above 100 degrees F (about 37 C) – that is crazy. I have experienced the 6 to 7 hour flight from Chicago to Washington (yes, it is more like an hour flight normally). You push back and then wait, and wait, and wait. At least we had power, and cooling. It was an entirely full flight. I had the aisle seat, and a brand new – very thick book to read. The poor guy in the middle seat, not only in the middle seat but the only thing he had to read was – the FAR (Federal Accounting Regulations). That made me feel better – it could have been much worse.


Blogger David Aldridge said....

Heh, they should have just let the guy exhaust himself for a while. There's no way those doors will open when the plane is pressurised, opening inwards first as they do. Still, I can't imagine how eight men could even get near the guy at the same time ... I bet at least two of them are claiming credit for standing at the back of the crowd and pushing ;)

By the way, you know that some of us have to read FAR's every now and then for a living, don't you?

Wed Aug 02, 03:16:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the door wouldn't open - but it would be "alarming" none the least. Not because the door would open, but because you absolutely know this guy has gone over the edge.

On the plane I normally fly on from Chicago to Washington - there would be plenty of space for that - I forget the plane number (I'll check next time I fly there). Economy starts at row nine and the guy in 9A gets "short changed" as the door is literally in their face. The person in 10D has it made in the shade as 9D is a non-existent seat (row nine is 3x2 and the rest is 3x3 - there is room for 1/2 seat in row nine where 9D would be).

But that one has plenty of room between first class and economy, where the door is located.

Wed Aug 02, 03:27:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous BR said....

A couple of years ago, here in south america, a woman didnt want to turn off her computer when the plane was about to land. I think what I would do in this situation? Take the lady's computer a turn it off? pray to all gods that it won't cause a trouble in the plane comunications?

Wed Aug 02, 05:00:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

Point out the window and yell "Look! Out on the wing! It's William Shatner!

Wed Aug 02, 06:03:00 PM EDT  

Blogger shrek said....

I don’t know what I would do if someone went a bit over the edge and started to try and open it. That would be alarming.

well, what i did was kick his ass.;-) but then i am a "trained professional";-)

Thu Aug 03, 09:18:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous bus shah alam said....

I enjoyed reading it. I need to read more on this topic...I admiring time and effort you put in your blog, because it is obviously one great place where I can find lot of useful info..

Mon Mar 18, 07:00:00 AM EDT  


<< Home