Monday, August 14, 2006

My Favorite Kind of Update

No, not a SQL update - an update on a question. When I ask for more information or a test case - I frequently write:

Give me a short test case. Something small, yet 100% complete. Concise - but self contained. Remove anything not relevant to the problem. Tiny is good, but complete is a requirement.

999 times out of 1,000 - when I build these myself - I find my own mistake or omission.

I said that just recently and the update to the question in asktom was simply:

Update -
Yes you were right! It turned out to be a "missing grant" problem which we
detected why trying to build the test case.

thank you

That just makes it so easy. Peeling away the layers of the problem and making the example have as few lines of code as possible is an "art form". It is perhaps the most vital capability one could have in software development.

POST A COMMENT

2 Comments:

Blogger Doug Burns said....

It is perhaps the most vital capability one could have in software development.

... and *very* useful when using Metalink to raise an SR.

Mon Aug 14, 04:34:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Rob H said....

999 times out of 1,000 - when I build these myself - I find my own mistake or omission.

This is SO true. So many Asktom posts adverted

This is a great problem solving technique we should be teaching our kids and co-workers.

Wed Aug 16, 08:54:00 AM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home