Monday, July 10, 2006

Back after a short break...

Back after a short break – I was on vacation part of last week. We flew down to Cancun Mexico (because apparently I needed another 3,000 miles on my frequently flier account). It was a good short trip. Maybe the best part of it was the fact that they are still rebuilding the hotel we stayed at and there was no internet access in the rooms. At first I was not happy (withdrawal symptom?). The web site did not mention that (it said high speed internet was available – and it was in the business shop/gift shop/not a conference room anymore room!). I did email on my Treo phone exclusively for the week and didn’t get on the internet at all. Not as radical as Kathy Sierra over at “creating passionate users” but pretty close (catch up on her blog, the last couple of new entries are really good). Late on Friday/Saturday – started catching up on asktom stuff, about 200 review/follow-ups to look at (skipped more than usual just to skim them all).

Spent part of Sunday setting up the new laptop fully. This is the first trip I heading on with just it (I’m taking a briefcase and nothing else, just a quick overnight). Traveling very light. Hope I have everything I need on the laptop (I believe so). In fact I found a new utility that looks promising. I’ve used “registry mechanic” in the past to keep my registry clean – but they wanted me to re-subscribe and I didn’t want to. So I found “Ccleaner” (crap cleaner!). It seems to do part of what registry mechanic did as well as clean the disk of “extraneous files” (I reclaimed 3gig of space after all of the installs I did – they left bits and pieces of themselves all over the place) and lets you clean up stupid startup programs (AOL – hate it, have to use it sometimes. No, I do not want the AOL faststart to start ever time (making the startup time of the laptop itself slower). Even has a “uninstall program” that is many times faster than the control panels “add/remove software”.

Then, as I was looking around, I hit this entry. I have a feeling it was written for me… Time to start the next book – this week. Once I get started, it’ll just go – getting started – that is hard. Points #1 and #4 – they hit home.

Lastly – Andrew Clarke has a good entry on becoming an Oracle ACE. If you’ve never heard of the ACE program – or wanted to know “what can I do to become one”, you might want to read that. He hit the nail on the head. It is all about participation.

Now, if I can just make it to my next vacation at the end of next month… (we do a couple of short ones here and there). That’ll be into the mountains, with a lake and a cabin. Wonder if they have the T1 run to the cabin yet…


Blogger Joel Garry said....

SAIC's founder is writing a book via blog.

word: ugutzg

Mon Jul 10, 03:22:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Mariano said....

Hi Tom.
Let us know what new spanish words you learned @ Mexico.

Mon Jul 10, 06:50:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Sokrates said....

hurgl - no fresh underwear (?!)

"I’m taking a briefcase and nothing else, just a quick overnight"

Tue Jul 11, 08:43:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

clean socks, underwear and shirt of course - it is after all a "brief" case.

Tue Jul 11, 09:42:00 AM EDT  

Blogger sanchapanzo said....

welcome back!

Tue Jul 11, 12:17:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Paul said....

Tom - aplogies, but I've searched many times for your blog entry on your hardware and software setup at homeware. Please, where is it?



Tue Jul 11, 02:48:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Petra said....

"It seems to do part of what registry mechanic did..."

I've been using Registry Repair by StompSoft and have been quite happy with it. It keeps all of my registry entries to a minimum. As far as AOL is concerned I have one thing to say about it, "I never want to have it on any system I own." Anyway, I hope that your next vacation has a super powered wireless network for you to work on. :)

Thu Aug 17, 06:46:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Registry Repair is a great program. I think that everyone should at least try it once. Though to address the blog, jeez it has been forever since I've had a vacation. Vacation means that you go somewhere right? JK

Fri Sep 15, 11:56:00 PM EDT  


<< Home