Saturday, June 03, 2006

Very cool...

Very cool. A bubble “cube”.

And here is a puzzle for you – my Aunt wrote me (using this thing called “pen and paper” and delivered by some guy in a strange truck – go figure) that I had solved this “puzzle” many years ago. She has a picture hanging in her kitchen:

FruitMath

Anyway, she said I figured out what the fruits represented a long time ago and she wanted to know the answer again.

Each fruit is a single digit (and unique of course, it would not make sense for the pear to be the same digit as the peach). I gave it to my kids and didn’t really look at it.

Until today. Took a minute – but I got the answer (I have the time stamped email to prove it)… Can you?

Update:
If you want to figure it out on your own - don't peek at the comments!
POST A COMMENT

9 Comments:

Blogger Eric S. Emrick said....

Grape=4
Peach=6
Pear=2
Lemon=8
Strawberry=1
Apple=3
Bananna=9

Sat Jun 03, 06:16:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Mr. Ed said....

Should we consider taste?

Sat Jun 03, 06:20:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Eric S. Emrick said....

Someone can't spell.

echo "Bananna"|sed 's/nn/n/'

It must have been the potatoe I had for lunch.

Sat Jun 03, 07:05:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

"It must have been the potatoe "

I suppose you also need to

echo "potatoe" | sed 's/oe/o/'

Another one in the Sponge category :)

Sat Jun 03, 11:32:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Mr. Ed said....

OK, since I didn't get an answer about taste...

Should we assume pear > 1 and strawberry > 0?

What base? 10? Does it matter?

Should we assume (for all)(fruit <> 0)?

We need to determine _all_ possible solutions to this puzzle, not just a single solution. Duh.

Sun Jun 04, 03:50:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Noons said....

well, there are 7 different fruits, so the smallest base possible must be at least 6.
But I think the original would have been intended as base 10.

Sun Jun 04, 11:36:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Eric S. Emrick said....

anonymous said...

"It must have been the potatoe "

I suppose you also need to

echo "potatoe" | sed 's/oe/o/'

Another one in the Sponge category :)

Eric S. Emrick said...

"bananna" was inadvertent
"potatoe" was an attempt at subtle humor (irony). Who eats a potato for lunch and ascribes spelling mistakes to the poor unsuspecting vegetable?

Mr. Ed said...

We need to determine _all_ possible solutions to this puzzle, not just a single solution. Duh.

Eric S. Emrick said...

I have attempted to prove that the solution set provided is the only solution given some reasonable assumptions.

Sun Jun 04, 08:21:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Mr. Ed said....

Eric, nice proof.

Mon Jun 05, 12:40:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Cosmic Charlie said....

The bubble cube. I saw that when it first aired. Still neat after all these years.

I had to view that one from home. Websense kicked in when I tried to view that site at work. Too many bad words on that site.

Tue Jun 06, 07:18:00 AM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home