Friday, June 30, 2006

Things that caught my attention this week...

Things that caught my attention this week. Some possible “NSFW” words in some of the links – if that would offend, you’ve been warned.

My all time favorite programming language is not C but C is a very close 4th (SQL, PL/SQL, and PL/I beat it out). So, I saw this “California Coding” page and laughed out loud. Ah, the fun you could have with macros – hated them, never knew if I was calling a function or if something else was happening. When used properly – they (macros) were very cool. When abused, obfuscated code resulted… In a similar vein – here is a quick cartoon. Reminded me of Jr. High School. I had to write some silly sentence a couple of hundred times more than once. Wonder if they still use that as a punishment.

Couple of visual tricks passed by this week. The first is another chromatic illusion similar to one I wrote about before. The Spanish Castle was neat, but this one is even more “disturbing”. With the Castle – when you move your eyes, it goes back to black and white – this one endures longer. So, can you really believe what you see with your own eyes. Almost like we have a bug in our software… We are easily tricked (this one is pretty cool too)…

A tiny peek at my political leanings again. Jon Stewart rocks. In that link, he looks at video games and government control. I love his new rating system. The grand theft auto “visual” spoof was great. And Representative Pitts – well, watch it… I was astounded by the statements.

Lastly, this next link has many “NSFW” words in it, but is so so true.
POST A COMMENT

10 Comments:

Blogger Joel Garry said....

Pie chart definitely overestimates design time.

Jon Stewart's tie looked odd..

word:wvapp

Sat Jul 01, 12:19:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Robert said....

huh ? you're into Web Design ?

Sat Jul 01, 01:34:00 AM EDT  

Blogger sanchapanzo said....

Maybe the next 'the simpsons' episode will have Bart writing 'I will not fly paper airplanes in the class' 1000 times using C.. that should be fun to watch!

Sat Jul 01, 06:06:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Mark A. Williams said....

Joel Garry said...

> word:wvapp

I'm just curious if there is a point to posting the Word Verification word? I occasionally see people do it, but I'm not sure why.

- Mark

Sat Jul 01, 09:44:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Robert said....


Mark A. Williams said....
....posting the Word Verification word? I occasionally see people do it, but I'm not sure why.


same here
what's the deal ?

Sat Jul 01, 03:28:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous dave said....

He think's it's funny.

It isnt.

Sat Jul 01, 04:48:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

Sometimes it is funny. Try saying it out loud or finding the hidden message or something that looks serendipitously meaningful or just revel in absurdity.

Some people do it because they think the whole concept is silly and will soon wind up being broken (google for breaking captcha). I'm into the often entertaining synchronicity of it, myself.

What do you think is funny, Dave?

The pie chart comment refers to the apparent lack of time spent in design work. It was meant cynically, as for example, so many of the blogs in blogspot, not to mention some large proportion of any arbitrary collection of sites. They aren't designing, they're just copying, so you wind up with eyeball-burning black text on white background, or worse. No, I'm not into Web Design, I just spend most of my work day for decades on end staring at screens.

word:dosmxzbt

Sun Jul 02, 01:00:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

One more neat Visual trick
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/167018/trippy_trick/

Sun Jul 02, 09:51:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Rob h said....

Wait a second, you can't like Jon Stewart, you're old and right-wing are you not? :D

Mon Jul 03, 12:22:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Prashant said....

Hi Tom,

A better version of the "illusionroad" can be found here
http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/home/George_Mather/TwoStrokeFlash.htm

these guys have won a award for this illusion.

Prashant

Tue Jul 04, 06:13:00 AM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home