Friday, June 02, 2006

Technology is moving so fast...

So very very fast. This is beginning to get “out of the world” amazing. A robot hand controlled by thought alone. Sure, kinks to work out and all but the concept is there entirely. Think of the uses - both good and bad. Good – amputees for example. Bad – people wanting to “enhance themselves”, or even using it as a weapon (tell it to the hand – the hand goes to jail).

Anyway, I thought that was both neat and frightening at the same time. Reminded me a bit of the Brian Herbert (son of Frank) Dune series. The technology to create cymeks could exist in the not entirely distant future.

Staying in the technology zone – I saw this new Dell model – it looks pretty cool and compact (I’m into “clean”, “compact”). I liked the concept – a fold up desktop (a little mobile). Single unit (less cables, hate cables, have way too many cables). Integrated keyboard – which has pro’s and con’s. On one hand – the keyboard fits the machine like a glove. On the other hand, what if you don’t like the keyboard. I’m picky about my keyboard (since I spend so much quality time with it). One thing I didn’t like about the keyboard was the location (and actually the use of) the touch pad. First, I’m not a fan of touch pads and second, I’m a lefty. If you are going to put a touch pad on the keyboard – it better be under my thumbs – else I want it on the other side! When I use my laptop for more than a couple of minutes – I have to stick my USB travel mouse in, the touch pad drives me nuts quickly.

Actually – why don’t we see any desktop keyboards with the eraser mouse? I’ve looked high and low for one – if I could stop having to reach for that stupid mouse all of the time, I could save lots of time.

Anyone know of regular desktop keyboards that have the feature of a laptop?

It would be nice to have both the eraser mouse and buttons on the keyboard as well as a regular mouse.

Pointing to this blog again – I was reminded of my own “I wish I had done that” story. That blog links to Bessemer Venture Partners and a page of theirs entitled “anti-portfolio”. You can read my “wish I did that” story here. Missed opportunities…

And some funny stories here about “corporate lessons”. Reminds me of ROT (rules of thumb) for some reason.. I liked lessons 4 and 5 best.


Blogger Brian Larsen said....

For a keyboard with a pointing stick:

Fri Jun 02, 07:22:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Daniel Fink said....

I've been a major fan of IBM Thinkpads for many years. I like the quality, love the customer support (they fixed a problem several months after the warranty expired) and I really like the eraser mouse (Toshiba's implementation always seemed a little stiff to move). With my last laptop purchase, I also purchased a USB keyboard that has the eraser mouse built in (and the touchpad as well). I use it when traveling or at a client site (docking station and wireless keyboard/mouse at home office).

Fri Jun 02, 07:49:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Robert said....

I read how you love reading sci-fi, maybe you should write one...maybe feature Oracle in the plot ;)
hmmm that might be some nice read

Fri Jun 02, 10:01:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Hae-Kwang said....

Thomas Kyte said...
... if I could stop having to reach for that stupid mouse all of the time, I could save lots of time.
Brian Larsen said...
For a keyboard with a pointing stick:
I think this is amazing. It's been quite some time since the thought of increased productivity if I didn't have to reach over for the mouse crossed my mind as well. The keyboard shown at the link provided by Brian Larsen (thank you so very much!) seems to be a step closer to the keyboard I've been dreaming of.

Tom, there is another product called the "MouseTrapper" I saw Sarah Lane talk about on The ScreenSavers on legacy TechTV ( - What piece of technology can you not live without?

"My keyboard MouseTrapper ( Everyone teases me about it, but I know they all secretly think it's cool.")a few years ago that is somewhat comparable somewhat to this keyboard. The official link is, also available at Pricey, but the official link says it's "designed to prevent and relieve Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) and typing stress" so hm ... maybe getting it for the RSI feature, or the lack of it, may make it worthwhile.

Fri Jun 02, 10:25:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I was at first excited to see the keyboard with the eraser mouse - until I found it isn't "USB". Need USB as I have no PS2 ports :(

Fri Jun 02, 10:31:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Hae-Kwang said....

Would those PS2/USB converters overcome the lack of the native USB feature of the keyboard?

Fri Jun 02, 10:42:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Daniel Fink said....

The IBM/Lenovo Ultranav keyboard has the USB connection. They make it in a regular and 'travel' size. I found it on Amazon ( as the Lenovo site is not reachable right now...

Fri Jun 02, 11:00:00 AM EDT  

Blogger shrek said....

I was at first excited to see the keyboard with the eraser mouse - until I found it isn't "USB". Need USB as I have no PS2 ports :(

check here:

Fri Jun 02, 11:31:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I like the keyboard Dan pointed to above. I will likely get that one - so no need for yet more cables and converters to go from USB to PS2

Fri Jun 02, 11:37:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Hae-Kwang said....

I've never used a Thinkpad's keyboard before ... what're they like? What are the pros and, if any, cons? Just curious. Right now I'm using a Das keyboard which is really nice to my fingers in terms of I don't feel them aching after hours of typing on end. But if this Thinkpad keyboard can provide the same comfort, I may switch.

Fri Jun 02, 11:47:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

hate cables, have way too many cables

" is always easy to predict the future, just not when the future is going to happen..."

Then there's the cordless jump rope.


Fri Jun 02, 04:13:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Daniel Fink said....

The main reason I like the IBM keyboard (both on the laptop and the Ultranav) is that I can use basic mouse functions without having to lift my hand off the keyboard. It is not as practical for longer (selecting a lot of text) or more complex (using it to draw a route on a map).

I have also noticed that the new keyboards by Microsoft and Logitech are changing the placement of the Insert/Delete/Home/End/Page Up/Page Down keys. Call me an old grouch, but I don't like it, though I suppose at some point I'll have to get used to it.

Fri Jun 02, 05:16:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Connor McDonald said....

I’m a lefty

which in Dell-projected-sales-speak means:

You're a minority.


Mon Jun 05, 09:21:00 AM EDT  


<< Home