Monday, May 01, 2006

No Net...

A weekend without any network. I’m in Munich Germany right now. It was a three day weekend here. I had 4 days with 2 seminars last week and have the same this week. Last week it was Helsinki Finland and then London in the UK – with a travel day in between. This week it is 4 straight days in Munich with two different groups. Talking from 9-5 is something I find very tiring – I liked the 2 on, 1 off, 2 on schedule. This week will be more like a marathon than a 2 day sprint.

Anyway – the hotel I’m in has a “broken internet” – at least on the 6th and 7th floors. I’m on the 7th floor (moving to the 2nd floor tomorrow!). So, it has been three days where my only connection has been via my GPRS connection on the phone.

And you know what, 3 days offline – it’s been “not so bad”. Anyone remember life before 24x7 connectivity – I just got back into it for a short while and it “did not stink”.

I’ll have more details on what I was up to over the weekend tomorrow (when I have BANDWIDTH in the evening and can upload some pictures). But – shopping and tours figured into the picture. It was nice.
POST A COMMENT

5 Comments:

Blogger Bill S. said....

thomas kyte said....
Anyway – the hotel I’m in has a “broken internet” – at least on the 6th and 7th floors. I’m on the 7th floor (moving to the 2nd floor tomorrow!).


Enjoy the rest ;-D.

It's probably the only break you'll get this year (unless the AskTom server dies).

verification: iuzdw
Yup. I use Data Warehouses too.

Mon May 01, 04:44:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Daniel Fink said....

Being out of phone/email range is one of the reasons I love to get away to the backcountry of the mountains. It is so refreshing to let go of the 'distractions' and get back to what it is all about...really connecting with yourself and others on a face to face level.

Time for another getaway...

Mon May 01, 04:57:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Noons said....

Relax and take advantage of the break!

Just came back from a week holiday in a place where the only comms are by carrier pigeon. I decided to attended a coconut gathering "lesson" by the friendly natives. A lady that was watching intently, asked the native guy at the end if they had a web-site. The guy's answer was along the lines of: "a-web-wot???" amidst the general laughter.

Some people just don't get it... :)

Tue May 02, 12:16:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Holger Schweichler said....

Hello Tom,

know what? I also really liked the one day disconnected yesterday (at least after I got on my way to Munich) - I thought about getting on after I arrived at the hotel, but hey - it was a holiday, so I decided to rather use the afternoon to explore the city a bit... Drawback: almost 200 emails to deal with this evening (it wasn't a holiday in the US, obviously).

I enjoyed your presentations today and will definitely bring something home to tell our developers...

Holger

Tue May 02, 01:56:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Niall said....

Daniel Fink (who knows a thing or two about mountains) said
Being out of phone/email range is one of the reasons I love to get away to the backcountry of the mountains.

There is/was a great ad for Snowdonia in Wales. Simply a poster of the mountains from about halfway up and the tag line, a play on its protected status

Area of Outstandingly Bad Mobile Reception

Says it all

Wed May 03, 03:06:00 AM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home