Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The funny thing is...

The funny thing is… I was reading this, just getting ready to drag it into a folder on my desktop entitled “blogideas”. That folder already has 34 things in it. Ironic? I thought so. So, just because I thought it was really relevant – I stopped and did it right now – knowing it would probably age out of that folder due to lack of activity on it.

Once again Kathy hit the proverbial nail on the head as far as keeping up. When I read this paragraph:

Recognize that gossip and celebrity entertainment are black holes
It's like watching a car accident despite our best intentions...
we just can't help look, so the more you can stay away from the publications
that document every personal detail of every music and film star the better.
Let that be your guilty pleasure for when you're at the dentist's office...


I had to laugh out loud. That is pretty much the only time I read People magazine – in the dentist’s office – because there is nothing else there to read!

Some thoughts:

  • I subscribe to one magazine: Wired. I always read it. Once Delta offered the chance to exchange my miles for magazines and I did. I was getting maybe 7 or 8 magazines for a year. I read – one, Wired. The others – no time.

  • I use a news aggregator (thunderbird, combines with email) to avoid polling. I cut out those that become too noisy (ittoolbox – soon, pcmagazine – very very soon if they don’t stop injecting ADS!!! Into their rss feed)

  • I’ve gotten off of all internal email lists I can, I ended up deleting the emails anyway.

  • I read some of the other magazines that accumulate in my house for something outside of my area of expertise when I have time.

  • I read books way outside of my area of expertise. Nothing related to technology in most cases.

  • I decline offers to read technical books and review them (knowing darn well I’d never actually around to it)

  • I live by this part (extracted from her blog) “In any thing you need to learn, find a person who can tell you what is:”

In closing, as Kathy said:

In the meantime, take a deep breath and repeat after me, "I will never keep up. Keeping up is a myth." And if it makes you feel any better, add, "John isn't keeping up either."
POST A COMMENT

9 Comments:

Blogger Doug Burns said....

That's an excellent blog. Sadly, I can't even keep up with Oracle these days. Those comments about Java classes rung true for me.

Tue May 02, 01:45:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thet said....

I can't agree more but accepting the fact that you can't keep up is hard. So the magazines continue to arrive, and the PDF files of online content sit on the computer. :-<

Quick question, Tom, regarding Wired. I used to subscribe and stopped around 2001 or so. How do you like the current content/coverage? Thanks.

Tue May 02, 02:58:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

About Wired - I have to say "I really like it". I look forward to receiving it, I generally read it from cover to cover - even if the article isn't particularly relevant to what I do (going outside what I do). It is all about technology so that interests me. It is not nearly as "fat" as it used to be - in 2006, it is a manageable evening read on the porch.

Tue May 02, 03:03:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Noons said....

Kathy's blog is turning out to be as useful a read as her books. I got her Java book a few years ago, when it first came out. It's been a constant companion to try and understand what exactly can one do with that language.

Despite it being derided by the j2ee folks at the place I was working at the time, it's survived the test of time. And her blog is going the same way...

I still can't get myself to like Java, but her work has certainly made the pain a lot easier.

Tue May 02, 07:40:00 PM EDT  

Blogger shrek said....

i use newsgator.com free online RSS reader. that way i can read my feeds from any browser i can get to.

Tue May 02, 08:21:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Ralph Downey said....

Tom said "I’ve gotten off of all internal email lists I can, I ended up deleting the emails anyway."

Tom, say it ain't so!

Your emails on the internal help* mail lists were required reading at the Canadian support centre. We had email filters set to capture both you and Cary amoung others.

The signal to noise ratio was way too low, but every once in a while there was good information there.

Tue May 02, 09:44:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Dimitri Gielis said....

Excellent! I'm facing the same problem... I'm just too interested in everything! Next to my (personal) curiosity, I'm also a consultant (professional), doing mainly Oracle database, but I nevertheless touch(ed) AS, OWB, JDeveloper, APEX, Forms, PHP, M$ products etc.

I feel frustrated because I don't know anymore what is really happening underlying...
For ex.:
- when I'm playing with APEX, I want to know more about AJAX, css, javascript, ...
- when I see my JDev colleagues, I think about the time I created BC4J's, now it’s time to know more about ADF, JSF, ...

I can't be an "expert" in every domain. I must even admit that "only" the Oracle database is already a real challenge to keep up-to-date! Especially when I read something from for ex. Jonathan Lewis or Steve Adams, I feel I still have a long way to go!

Next to that there’re also some skills I’d like to improve, for ex. management (project, time, capacity, …), methodologies, communication, presentation etc.

This thread showed me that I’m not alone ;-) but it stays hard to except!

Wed May 03, 05:54:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Roderick said....

What's wrong with celebrity gossip? The whole David Spade - Heather Locklear relationship just raised my morale.
At one point, I was 6 years behind in Scientific American, but strangely enough that still put me a few weeks ahead of the mainstream news in terms of tech news.
Did you recognize the Wired magazine issue in the blog photo? The multicolor spine is unmistakeable. I had to end that subscription years ago because of sensory overload and having to fight the urge to pay "early adopter" prices for gadgets.

Thu May 04, 03:26:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Mark P. said....

I take my own magazine into the dentist office… been there a lot recently. Only problem is convincing people you actually own the magazine when you leave.

Thu May 04, 05:00:00 PM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home