Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Cleaning out...

Cleaning out.  I’m emptying out my “blog ideas” folder tonight, a little spring cleaning.  The following is a collection of pages I hit recently that made me go “hmm” or laugh out loud.  We’ll look at each in turn.

I’ve just started reading a new blog – Seth Godins’s blog.  I forget how I got there, I forget why I was there – but there I was and some of his posts are pretty compelling.  Outside of my area of expertise – but useful.  I related this posting a lot – one about “Please Go Away (angry)”.  Reminds me of many experiences in a store that may or may not be mentioned in the following paragraph.  I remember going into that store one Christmas season to buy a video camera.  They had dozens of them on display.  Every single one I picked up that I liked – when I found someone to help me (takes a long long time) they would query the computer and say “nope, out of stock – won’t be in for two weeks”.  I really wanted to know why they are on display still – this happen more than ten times.  One time they said “we don’t have it here – but they have it in Baltimore (over 70 miles away). You can drive over and pick it up”.  I was like – you cannot have it shipped over here? I’ll pay? – nope, we don’t share stock like that.  I ended up buying a laptop that year – from another store.  I really detest going there anymore.

Then I saw this “Improv Everywhere” page.  V is for Vengeance maybe instead of Vendetta.  I really enjoyed reading that – I can just see how the management there would react.  I used that example in my seminar today though – on SQL Injection.  I said “if 80 people have the time to dress up as Best Buy sales associates – think about how much time they have to try to hack your application!”.  I was just laughing as I imagined how the sales management at a Best Buy might react under these conditions.  Bravo.

Have you ever wanted a user manual for something you own (electronic/whatever).  If so, maybe this site has it.  Be nice to be able to upload to it – or contribute.  Get all of the manuals online.  I used a similar site to figure out how to program my universal remote when I got a new TV.  Funny how those guides just disappear over time.

Klaatu Barada Nikto.  What more needs to be said.  Another person with way too much time and a huge sense of humor.  I wish I could have done that.

I don’t know whether the picture in this one is funny or plain scary. What would you do if you found that in your garden?  I’d run away…

And I just liked this one for the smile effect.

3 seminars down, 1 more to go.  Looking forward to being done, getting back home (Saturday afternoon – going to see Megan play in a soccer match when I get back).  Will be home for one and a half weeks – should be nice.  


Anonymous Mark A. Williams said....

From the "for smile effect"...

"Make stuff up"

Hmm... isn't that the trademark of the reassuringly bearded one?

- Mark

Wed May 03, 06:04:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Mark A. Williams said....

Well, bah, I guess it should be "Make things up", but "Make stuff up" is close enough.

- Mark

Wed May 03, 06:05:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

Who needs passwords?

Thu May 04, 07:18:00 PM EDT  


<< Home