Friday, May 12, 2006

Accidental discoveries...

Accidental discoveries. I liked this article. Top ten things discovered on the way to find something else. I am very glad the name “epsicles” did not catch on. I have a feeling many things we have today are “accidental”. Much of what I know about Oracle falls into the accidental category – I did not necessarily set out to learn what I know about it, no formal course of education taught me. I just found things out “by accident” – as a side effect of using the product.

I think much of what I’ve learned about stuff over the years has been accidentally learned – things I’ve learned on my way to look up something else. Serendipity is one way to describe it. Actually that one word sums it up entirely.

On a funny note – this article about travel complaints was very humorous. One of the links is to a page of some of the more outrageous ones – the second complaint on this page will likely make you laugh out loud.
POST A COMMENT

7 Comments:

Anonymous Rob H said....

Meeting my wife was a complete serendipitous moment.

In fact, the best things in my life have come from dumb sheer luck.

Go figure

Fri May 12, 04:31:00 PM EDT  

Blogger DaPi said....

"Chance favours the prepared mind."
Louis Pasteur

Fri May 12, 04:56:00 PM EDT  

Blogger DaPi said....

I was looking for confirmation that Serendip was Ceylon/Sri Lanka and found some more for you.

There is much more serendipity in science and maths than most people would credit. Very little discovery is scientific (perghaps I exagerate). The science is in showing that the chance result is significant or that the lucky guess is correct.

Fri May 12, 05:25:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Noons said....

dapi:

audaces fortuna juvat

Sat May 13, 11:19:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Beth said....

Loved the travel complaints link. They reminded me of my father's stories from his career as a park ranger -- like the woman standing in the ocean surf asking him what the elevation was.....

Sun May 14, 12:53:00 AM EDT  

Blogger DaPi said....

Noons: audaces fortuna juvat
and faint heart never won fair lady. Which brings us back to Rob H.

Sun May 14, 03:33:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous RobH said....

I'm sure my wife would love to hear that "everything comes back to her"

:D

Mon May 15, 10:54:00 AM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home