Sunday, April 16, 2006

V for Vendetta...

V for Vendetta – just saw that movie last night. I thought it was simply awesome. There was one scene at the end that was a bit gratuitous with the blood – but other than that, I really enjoyed it. Bits of Benny Hill, lots of sarcasm, and a ton of well done symbolism (lots and lots of symbolism).

I really liked that the protagonist from 1984 (the victim in that movie) played the major symbol of the antagonist in this movie (John Hurt). I thought that was a nice touch given the underlying “big brother” and “big government” themes between the two.

The movie was a bit dark – through and through dark – but well done. I agree with the one comment on imdb – “uniquely brilliant”. It has become what I would currently answer the question “so what’s your favorite movie” with.

The ending was really well done (won’t give it away). And that the credits rolled with Street Fighting Man was just icing on the cake.


Anonymous Anonymous said....

I saw it also. I had read the reviews and most of them were negative. I think the reviewers missed the point of the movie.

Yes, very 1984. Orwell had it right; when clocks stike 13 and that is a normal condition be afraid, be very afraid. (the opening line of 1984 is "The clock stuck 13".)

Sun Apr 16, 12:17:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Rachel said....

Interesting. I had read that Moore was not happy with the movie adaptation of his graphic novels....

Since I've been housebound after surgery, I've spent the last few days watching Joss Whedon's Firefly series. And wishing wistfully that it was still on, as I've fallen in love with it.

Sun Apr 16, 12:27:00 PM EDT  

Blogger roobaron said....

I saw that movie on Tuesday, very good. I was chuckling at the Benny Hill bit as well and noticed noone else was, I am not that old!
In talking with a chinese friend, he completely missed the whole point of that scene because he had never seen Benny Hill. Oh well it is like the Simpson's plays of various movies.

Sun Apr 16, 11:57:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Bill S. said....

I have wanted to see this one as well, but my 15-yr-old son wants to see it and I am not sure it's appropriate. What did you think about its appropriateness for the under-17 crowd? Usually I try to avoid R-rated movies for him but it is getting harder to justify as he gets older :-D. I hate for him to miss a good movie, but I also don't want him seeing stuff that is inappropriate.

Mon Apr 17, 08:34:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

Rachel said:
I had read that Moore was not happy with the movie adaptation of his graphic novels

In fact a SF-addicted friend of mine told me that the comics are much better ... so I've ordered the comic book and I'm going to read it before watching the movie :)

Mon Apr 17, 08:38:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

The R would be for some violence - there is some in there. No bad language, no 'adult' content really.

I'd hate to say yes or no on this, what you expose your children to is fairly personal. It depends on the maturity level of the child as well.

Then there is the message as well to be considered I suppose, the message is a tad 'dark'.

I guess the only real way to do this would be for you to see the movie yourself and then judge if you wanted to expose your son to it..

Mon Apr 17, 08:44:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Mal Reynolds said....

Rachel: Firefly is the ultimate Sci-Fi series. You have to see the movie "Serenity" and then drop a line or two at the browncoats website. We need all the support we can get.

Mon Apr 17, 09:38:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Just one word describes this movie - Bollocks

Mon Apr 17, 09:54:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....


does it have some better meaning elsewhere I hope?

(if you are going to use one word to describe something, "castrated bull" doesn't seem to convey much meaning :)

Mon Apr 17, 10:26:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Its Bollocks , not Bullock.

That rather lovely word was used so often in that movie, that, that has has been burned in my brain. (Kinda like "that" in that sentence. Grammer be dammed. :-) )

Come on man, there were so many holes in that plot that you could drive a fleet of masked men thru it.

I, for one, was very disappointed with that movie.

Mon Apr 17, 11:44:00 AM EDT  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

Plot holes do not a bad movie make. Sometimes you have to leave your technical analysis hat at home and just absorb the meaning of the message.

"Plot holes" indeed ... next you'll be critisising shakespeare for inconsistent spelling.

Mon Apr 17, 01:09:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

It depends on the type of movie. I wouldnt expect a well thought out plot for a 'National Lampoon' series or any other comedy movie, as compared to, say, a thriller or a murder mystery. If a movie wants to convey a serious message, it'd better have its 'plot' well thought out.

This will probably be my last post on this subject. Too much thought to a frivolous subject. No offense to anyone - just my opinion of a movie.

You Say Tomato, I Say Tomahto

Mon Apr 17, 01:34:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Rob H said....

Yes the 'Graphic Novel's are better. Moore will kill you if you call them comics. He's very eccentric. If you liked this you HAVE to read The Watchmen

Its really fantastic. The original "V" was designed around England and Thatcher and the 1980's (and what she did to england). Moore didn't like some of the references to things outside his book. He's notorious for wanting to get his way. He could have pulled his name from the movie if they didn't give him 2 sugars in his coffee.

Mon Apr 17, 04:03:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Jay said....

Agree with you Tom.

In fact, I would rate 'V for Vendetta' as the second best movie I have ever seen after Spielberg's 'Amistad'.

The command that the director has over the medium is absolute. As good, or even better than a Tarantino or a Ram Gopal Varma (an Indian director i admire).

Regarding bollocks, it is the brit vershion of say, f***, with dog's bollocks being the equivalent of f***ing s***.

Tue Apr 18, 09:31:00 AM EDT  

Blogger gilf said....

"Regarding bollocks, it is the brit vershion of say, f***, with dog's bollocks being the equivalent of f***ing s***."

Right on the first one very wrong on the second. Something which is the "dogs bollocks" is rather good. Generally you need to distinguish it's meaning from the prior word[s] i.e. I might use "its the bollocks" to mean it's great but equally "it's a load of bollocks" to mean it's rubbish.

Bollocks of course being an English word for testicles.

Tue Apr 18, 11:33:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Robin Geddes said....

I think the best review is in the Economist of all places.

I particularly like the end of the review:

"As for the dystopian fable, only fans of detention centres, torture, unfettered government surveillance, screaming-mad television pundits and laws against alternative lifestyles will find anything here that could possibly offend"

Sat Apr 22, 10:23:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I think this advert says it all!

Wed May 03, 08:42:00 AM EDT  

Blogger μเгας said....

Remember, remember, the fifth of November..

Mon Jun 02, 11:35:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Topcat said....

I really enjoyed V for V, I don't concider the film to have plot holes, rather shades of grey which are there for you to draw your own conclusions, I.E wether V is a madman or an upholder of a fundementally important idea. I personally think its a film that does more than entertain, if a film like this can make me sit back and spend a good half an hour just thinking about our global and national situation, its done what it set out to do.

Mon Oct 13, 06:47:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I've really loved that movie n I would like 2 know if someone have the title of the song when at the end the inspector Finch got up. The song on his alarm clock.I'd b glad if u can tel me. Thx. :)

Tue Aug 24, 05:26:00 PM EDT  


<< Home