Monday, April 03, 2006

Smallish sort of world...

The first half of this week I'm in Omaha, Nebraska speaking at a conference and doing some customer visits. Jonathan Lewis was traveling to the same conference as well. Got an email from his wife on Sunday morning - there was a good chance Jonathan would not be able to make the conference as he was at Heathrow scrambling for a ticket. Turns out due to something strange on the web site he used to buy the tickets (something about the back button resetting some dates and he didn't notice) - his plane tickets were for some 4 days ago, not this weekend.

He got lucky and ended up getting a flight over. So, I set out on my trip. Left the house about 12:00 noon on Sunday. Ended up in Chicago for my connection. Got there at 3:30pm, connection at 4:55pm - so far, so go. Get to gate (long walk) to find out the 4:55 is now 7:21. No problem, still getting in at a decent hour. So I go to the local Chilis and get some food.

My phone rings - it is Jonathan. Worried about not making it the next day. His connection was canceled and he is now stuck in Chicago! We didn't know we were at the same airport. I mention my airline has flights out tonight and he arranged to get on the flight after me. We'd both be there.

But, as luck would have it, 9 minutes before boarding - my flight was cancelled. I got rolled onto the same flight with Jonathan. My 4:55 flight was now 10:43. Walked over to the other gate (which ironically was right next to the gate I landed at before!) and met up with Jonathan. Fortunately, that gate was directly across from the Red Carpet club, so we went in for a beer and whiskey... We finally did get to the hotel in Omaha at about 1:15am (tired = true today, had to get up at 6am...)

Now, Jonathan has what I call a blog - but it isn't a proper blog - in that, there is no RSS feed. So we got to talking about some of his recent articles. This one made me laugh. What is so funny about that one you ask? Just that I worked through the problem with Vikas at the same exact time and came to the same exact answer as Jonathan. That is what I call the "machine gun approach". Email as many people as possible, post to as many forums as you can - and see what you get back. Happens all of the time.

Then there was the 2+2=5 posting. That one is a good one in combination with the MV non-bug one I referenced above. The existence (or lack thereof) of a test case to demonstrate what you mean is crucial. For example, Vikas believed that Fast refresh doesn’t work if we swap the values in a column of a unique key. Both Jonathan and I said "yes it does, but how about a test case from you showing what you really mean". With test case in hand - it was easy to see what the problem was - immediately easy. Without the test case - impossible to comment. That is the problem with the 2+2=5 posting as Jonathan points out. The other author makes some claims that just don't fit in with what others observe. However, it is impossible to say why the author makes the claims, since we cannot really see what they are based on. We just have their word that "it doesn't work". Without a little test case however, it is really hard to say what that person may or may not be observing. I like the way Jonathan goes over it bit by bit however.

In general, I hit Jonathans "misc" once a week or so - really wish he would turn it into a real blog so we could get RSS feeds! Lots of good articles there.
POST A COMMENT

10 Comments:

Blogger Eddie Awad said....

I hit Jonathans "misc" once a week or so - really wish he would turn it into a real blog so we could get RSS feeds!

I have recently found changenotes.com, "a free service that monitors the web pages that interest you and notifies you by email when they change." It is perfect for websites that have no RSS feed.

I have just added http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/ind_misc.html to my changeNotes.com watchlist.

Mon Apr 03, 07:47:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Justin said....

Isn't there some sort of law against both you and Jonathan being on the same plane? Just in case something unfortunate were to happen?

Tue Apr 04, 12:56:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Tom Best said....

And I admit that there was a time when I'd use Firefox's ability to notify when a web page changed in order to see when I could ask a question at asktom. It worked without fail. I have not done that in a while, but I think you have the "I have a backlog" message setup such that that's not possible to do anymore.

Tue Apr 04, 08:57:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Jeff Hunter said....

Isn't there some sort of law against both you and Jonathan being on the same plane? Just in case something unfortunate were to happen?

LOL!! We'd be back to rebuilding indexes weekly and using BHCR as a tuning goal in no time...

my word: mxidide - wasn't that banned by the FDA a couple of years ago?

Tue Apr 04, 09:07:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Gleisson Henrique said....

Since we are talking about RSS feed, which blog aggregator do you guys use ? I use Google Reader, but it is not the most user friendly tool if you watch too many blogs.

Tue Apr 04, 11:11:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Tom Fox said....

I've been using FeedReader and it seems to work with no problem. It supports both Atom and RSS.

Tue Apr 04, 12:26:00 PM EDT  

Blogger jk said....

pretty impressive having them in town at the same time especially in Omaha, I learned alot, even though we got shorted on cursor_sharing=bad? part of Tom's slides, need to give those presenters a bit more time. Thanks again.

Tue Apr 04, 06:17:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom does have very good material and is an excellent speaker and presenter. He has done his presentations so many times that he does tend to speed through them. When he presented at the NEOOUG last year ( an all day thing ) I would have preferred him to do only "half as many sessions" but make each of the ones he did do twice as long. I was able to hang in and appreciate what he was talking about and demonstrating but many of my co-workers were pretty lost. Just a thought!

Wed Apr 05, 02:59:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Teko said....

I was that Sunday night in Chicago waiting for my flight to DC, and it was canceled off course.
I couldn't got to another flight.
The storm wasn't such bad ...

Thu Apr 06, 04:16:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

It was great to talk to you while you were in Omaha. I believe that you helped me solve a serious issue that we were having with Oracle 10g that we never had with 9i. The realization that there was a change in the defaults for dbms_stats from 9i to 10g and our research into cursor_peeking seems to be the issue. This had become crippling for many of our customers of our products (inventory forecasting software www.direct-tech.com ) and we were not getting any credible help from the support group. Thanks so much!! Craig Harding

Thu Apr 27, 03:07:00 PM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home