Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My next generation...

We are training the next generation well. My daughter just got a new shirt that she loves:
The next generation
The only song she really knows is “Another Brick in the Wall” by them – and that is because that is the chorus her teachers would spout off in school as she wore the shirt (you know “We don’t need no education” – perfect).

But she really does like it (no “ham” about her)
As happy as a pig
The fact is, she has the shirt because she loves pigs – she has no idea what this “Pink Floyd” stuff is all about – still have a way to go on that subject with her. She loves pigs so much – she decided one day years ago to not eat pork – and has stuck with it.

She is a pretty good kid over all though – the athletic one, into soccer:
Megan Corner Kick
horseback riding:
and basketball (she made the shot – all net):
She makes the shot


Anonymous Dilip said....

Like Father, like daughter. She looks just like you, Tom. Btw, great pictures.

I wish most of us keep away from all kinda meat as much as we can. Difficult but noble.

Wed Apr 19, 10:24:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

No she doesn't, she has no receeding hairline.

Wed Apr 19, 11:25:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Bill S. said....

"And it's too late
to lose the weight
you used to need to throw around....."

How prophetic :-D.

There are a lot of good albums to start her on, Animals was one of my favorites.

Horseback riding, huh? Is she planning on competing or is it just for pleasure? My older brother and I used to have a quarter horse, I loved riding in the mountains back then.

Thu Apr 20, 12:27:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Laurent Schneider said....

> She looks just like you, Tom
yes, definitely !

My one is 4 today and my Pink Floyd T-Shirts are much older ;-)

Thu Apr 20, 02:28:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous galih said....

Your daughter is beautifull Mr. Kyte :) it looks so smart also (just like her father of course :D)

Thu Apr 20, 02:46:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Hey listen.. I love Floyd.. I think Roger Waters is brilliant.. but brother what a negative band. I think they make Metallica and most rap music look like Steve and Eydie Gourmet. I wish I hand't taken their "message" seriously when I was a teenager.

Thu Apr 20, 02:47:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous FloydFanForever said....

Pink Floyd is the best band ever. Maybe you just had a bad trip and called that "life".

Thu Apr 20, 09:13:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

Megan looks very happy, which is a remarkable achievement in itself these days ...


Obviously, the best song of "The Pink Floyd" is "Echoes", and their best performance is "Live in Pompei".

Thu Apr 20, 10:34:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Robert Vollman said....

Homer: Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. Lisa, honey, are you saying you are never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad! Those all come from the same animal!
Homer: Heh, heh, heh. (sarcastically) Oh, suuure Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Thu Apr 20, 12:17:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I love Pink Floyd. Had all their albums on vinyl records in the 70's. I was in school then. Now its all mp3s. Its amazing how music is so timeless...Their lyrics are so thought provoking. The video of "The Wall" is definitely not for children.

Thu Apr 20, 12:18:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous RobH said....

How do you keep her 'being a kid'. It interesting that she appears to be having 'fun'. Kids don't do that as much these days. They don't just 'go out and play'. Rather, the kids I see anyways.

Any tips on how to keep a kid normal and 'a pretty good kid overall'.

I remember entertaining myself with large boxes (usually 'Depends') and crayons (I had a pack with like 60 colours!)

Thu Apr 20, 03:41:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Funny. 'Wall' was the first English song that 'stuck' with me too (English is not my native language).

I agree - Floyd's is a message not to be IMBIBED - though I WOULD 'take it seriously', as in give it some thought - just because it IS fairly deep and thought provoking.

Another great band is The Who (now that's simply awesome music).

Thu Apr 20, 04:38:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

How do you keep her 'being a kid'.

She is 10 and she is just "fun". She was out playing basketball with her grandmother when the "pink floyd" shots where taken. We have the treehouse, the swing set, the basketball - and they want to set up a ramp to jump the bikes over.

They still play with boxes in the basement when we get them. Give Megan a white board and some markers and there will be some time spent too. Video camera - instant movies.

Thu Apr 20, 04:48:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Mark A. Williams said....

> Give Megan a white board and some markers and there will be some time spent too.

Not practicing for your "Map out the SGA on a white board" interview question I hope!

- Mark

Thu Apr 20, 04:54:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Not practicing for your "Map out the SGA on a white board" interview question I hope!

Laughing out loud - Megans favorite comment is "are you talking that computer stuff again". She is very much "an end user".

Just got her a new computer - she was worried for a while - she said she liked her old computer. But I said "it is slow, the disk is small, the CD is broken" - she said "no, I like the computer part" - what part is that I ask.

She grabbed onto the LCD monitor.

That is probably worse than when Alan calls his hard disk "memory", that drives me nuts :)

The white board and markers are for drawing pictures, usually involving pigs and/or sock puppets.

Thu Apr 20, 05:01:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Patty C. said....

I agree, she looks just like you Tom! Although, I can't imagine you in a t-shirt with a pig on it. Does she own any blue shirts? My 10-year old daughter likes to use the computer with a set of headphones and microphone on. What is she listening to? Nothing, nothing at all. She just likes the look. Drives her father crazy too!

Fri Apr 21, 07:38:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Francois said....

Pig Floyd ?!...
Never heard..... ;o)

Fri Apr 21, 09:20:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous RobH said....

WHITEBOARD!!! My mom just painted a wall and let me go to town with anything I wanted on that wall. After a while, we'd prime over it and I'd have a new 'canvas' to go again.

I grew up in a very small town in a rural area. I had lots of room to play outside in. Do your kids. Is there some correlation between 'fun' and room to play outside?

Fri Apr 21, 11:24:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous RobH said....

I'm sure these kids were 'good kids' once too :,2933,192553,00.html

Fri Apr 21, 02:07:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I grew up in a very small town in a rural area.

We are pretty rural where I live (got some cows and sheep and really big dogs next door). Lots of space.

But, I'm not sure that is it. We lived in a compact subdivision for a long time - they had fun there as well.

Fri Apr 21, 02:37:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I'm sure these kids were 'good kids'

so, you read fark too ;)

Fri Apr 21, 02:59:00 PM EDT  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

IMHO: There is no house to large and no yard too small that you can't kick your kids outside and tell them not to come back for an hour. Unless they're bleeding or the bone's sticking out.

Fri Apr 21, 04:23:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Unless they're bleeding or the bone's sticking out.

We also let them come in when reports of bear in the woods are made by the neighbors (we've seen them twice in the backyard so far...)

Fri Apr 21, 04:38:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous RobH said....

Bones sticking out

Ever stood on one end of a teeter tot (or seesaw) and got everyone else to jump on the other....

Fri Apr 21, 05:03:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

Heartily recommend Nick Mason's book.

qemmtrz - sounds like an old MS-DOS memory manager.

Fri Apr 21, 07:02:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

My favorite kid story about music was related by a friend:

His 13yr daughter came up to him and said 'Dad I know you don't like my music, but I think you'll like this' and handed him the cd player.

He put on the headphones listened for a minute, walked to his albums and pulled out Led Zeppelin (Ruins) and handed it to her.

She freaked, thinking it was a new band.

Then all his albums disappeared ...

Wed Apr 26, 01:24:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Megan is very pretty and really active. I hope she stays like that for a while! Wait til shes a teen!! You will see a big difference. Good luck and best wishes. She looks just like you, i almost cant believe it!!!

Wed Mar 30, 07:03:00 PM EDT  


<< Home