Sunday, April 09, 2006

Identity Matters?

I thought this was a good article on anonymity. Well thought out.


Anonymous Anonymous said....

Anonymity is good when anonymous people have positive things to say. I have become a wikipedia addict. I know I have to be careful not to believe everything there, but in spite of the anonymity of the posts, the quality is outstanding. It's the best website I have find to find information on historical figures.
Even Tom Kyte has an entry.

However, it is troubling when anonymous people make personal attacks on others who post with their real name. I think people like that should have their posts deleted.

Sun Apr 09, 12:40:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Rachel said....

things like this are why I insist on knowing the names of people on the email lists I moderate. I don't keep the name, don't track it or sell their names, but I want a REAL person to respond to me, with a name I know, or the membership is terminated

Sun Apr 09, 02:33:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

It's ironic that this blog and your site (asktom) allows anonymous posts ...

You might be interested in -- they have an interesting idea for knowledge management and sharing.

Mon Apr 10, 01:15:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

There are two major reasons I prefer to stay "anonymous" whenever possible:

1) Password proliferation. It's too dangerous to use the same username/password combo everywhere, and it's too hard to remember a whole bunch of different names and passwords. I have more than 30 I have to keep track of just at work!

2) Spam-bots. Too many sites display the e-mail addresses of their members, meaning that they'll get harvested by the spammers. (That's how my original e-mail address got compromised.) That forces me to use a "bogus" e-mail address, which defeats the whole purpose of asking for one. Or I'd have to come up with a special address, which would mean yet another username and password to memorize.

So I'll just connect anonymously and sign my name at the bottom. I suppose it's possible someone malicious could pose as me to stir up trouble, but so far it hasn't been a problem.

Bob Shepard

Mon Apr 10, 01:15:00 PM EDT  


<< Home