Thursday, March 16, 2006

Radio silence...

Radio silence. Yes, I realize it has been a week since my last posting – but it has been a very busy time. Just updating this to say “I might not be updating this for a bit”. Thanks for the emails reminding me though :)


Anonymous Dratz said....

What??? That's outrageous, you've got some nerve mister!

I guess your job and family are somehow more important than us. I'm disappointed, I just never thought I'd see you break.

Or was your cold more than a cold? Have you brought the avian flu back from HOTSOS? I thought hotsos would kill any virus. Must not have been hot enough.

Is this the beginning of the end...


Thu Mar 16, 02:06:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Not the end, just a "alter system suspend", resume to be enabled later.

Just thought this was easier than answering the occasional email that was reminding me I hadn't posted for a while.

Thu Mar 16, 02:11:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Dratz said....

Well, that's better than a shutdown abort.

You could at least tell us your favorite Woody Allen movie so we could discuss it amongst ourselves for a few weeks.

Thu Mar 16, 02:46:00 PM EST  

Blogger jimk said....

I can't imagine intruding on your life to remind you to post something. Yes, I do like reading what you have to say, and I appreciate your efforts, but gosh I don't view it as your duty to entertain me etc. Emailing you about it I would feel intruding where I have no right to.

Thu Mar 16, 04:25:00 PM EST  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

It must be one of those hiatuses that are so fashionable at the moment.

Yes, I looked up the plural of hiatus.

Thu Mar 16, 10:26:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

sounds a bit like you hit:

TOM-00020: maximum number of processes () exceeded

Cause: Too much to do.

Action: Take a break.


Fri Mar 17, 04:13:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Hey Tom, this nifty little article might wake you from your blogging slumber...

I just love reading this sort of article in the morning. Something like the film qoute 'I love the smell of napalm in the morning!'.


Chris B

Fri Mar 17, 04:17:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

(re: it-director article)

There's always someone willing to sell you a "silver bullet".

"80% performance improvement" and "10 minutes down to 30 seconds". I can do that just be reading "asktom" and learning "how to do it properly" and RTFM-ing (apologies for my French) over and over again.

And it doesn't cost me a penny.
And it makes the next system even better.


Fri Mar 17, 07:29:00 AM EST  

Blogger Danny R said....

Hi Tom

Im doing a presentation to a BCS meeting on tuesday about my final year project. Its the first time I have ever done a presentation, and I just wondered if you have any tips?

I appreciate you are really busy right now, but if you could just point me in the right direction?

A final year degree student

Fri Mar 17, 02:31:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Im doing a presentation to a BCS meeting

Know your material cold. I mean know that stuff inside and out, forwards and backwards, left and right, outside in, whatever.

(not really sure what a BCS meeting is though...)

Fri Mar 17, 02:42:00 PM EST  

Blogger Danny R said....

Sorry, BCS is British Computer Society. I'm hoping it will give me the confidence to do more.

Fri Mar 17, 02:47:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

WHEW.. I thought you meant bowl championship series.

I was going to say... they need to fix their calculations to decide who is #1 and #2 :)

Fri Mar 17, 03:37:00 PM EST  

Blogger critic said....

I find that blogging only works for me if I am passionate about something...and being sick doesn't help it either 8^).

Cheers and drink a green beer for all us Irish :0

Fri Mar 17, 04:47:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

As busy as you are, it might still be time to remove the notes on your web page reminding people of the opportunity to register for hotsos symposium.

Fri Mar 17, 07:07:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Tom said....

Most of us understand that there are things that are more important than this blog, and we're appreciative whenever you can post.

I look forward to when you have time to post.


Sat Mar 18, 04:31:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

hello, "tapping on the glass" anybody in there? hello

Mon Mar 20, 07:40:00 AM EST  

Blogger Gleisson Henrique said....

For all those intruders! Read some of Tom's old posts or just browse on asktom for posts of your interest don't forget to check "Links I like" and "Files", or go to oramag and read some of his column, or buy his books and read them.
There are tons of materials by Tom, I believe it is just impossible that somebody have read all articles, notes, interviews, or whatever Tom has participated on unless you are a stalker and in that case you need treatment and not new posts.
Don't make this blog a "must do" type of thing for an already very busy Tom Kyte because you are going to take away the joy of doing it.

Mon Mar 20, 11:56:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Martin said....


Is it just me or did your XML-feed stop working?

Tue Mar 21, 05:50:00 AM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Looks like bloggers XML atom feed is broken right now.

That is OK since I haven't had time to write for a bit.

Tue Mar 21, 07:30:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

recreational therapy is good for the soul, take a break, go fishing, go scuba diving, read a good book under a palm tree with a cold adult beverage, try windsurfing, go para sailing.....this is why we work, enjoy Tom, enjoy!

Tue Mar 21, 08:06:00 AM EST  

Blogger Robert said....


Thanks for all you do for us in the Oracle/IT community!
All the best to you and your's!

Robert. Memphis, USA.

Tue Mar 21, 10:14:00 AM EST  

Blogger Herod T said....

The "submit a question" button is available on asktom!!

Mr. Kyte is back.

Wed Mar 22, 09:43:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

admit it Tom:

It was March Madness.
You were pulling for Pitt to take out Syracuse in the Big East Tournament.
You were pulling for Pitt to somehow find the basket against Bradley.

Yes, there were lots of victories before and between those 2 games, but those 2 losses still burn.


Thu Mar 23, 03:07:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

admit it Tom

truth be told... I watch this much sports:

[This space intentionally left blank]

I'll go to a live game, but watching on TV just doesn't do it for me :)

Thu Mar 23, 03:12:00 PM EST  

Blogger . said....


Sun Jul 02, 05:11:00 PM EDT  


<< Home