Monday, March 27, 2006

Odds and ends...

Odds and ends. Just a collection of some interesting things from the weekend. First – I read this last night and definitely laughed out loud. I’m not sure it is “real” or anything but the story there was just too funny.

The other thing I stumbled on was this monitor. This one is definitely fake for now (brake all the rules) – but I could see it coming in the future. Imagine a resolution of 19,200x2,400. And all done via bluetooth (not). I would buy one. I’m very much into screen real-estate. My present to myself after my first book was published was a pair of 21” LCD monitors (1600x1200). They could be had for “not too much money” today but when I first bought them – well, let’s just say they cost more than my computer. But they’ve help up very well – I have one at work and one at home that I extend my laptop’s screen onto – so I have 1600x1200 next to 1680x1050. Not quite the 19,200x2,400 – but sufficient right now for working on.

Then, there was this. Sort of silly – but made me laugh anyway. That might be because I used water coolers in Effective Oracle by Design to describe how multiple freelists and freelist groups work! Using a water cooler to demonstrate raid parallels that nicely.

And lastly on a more or less serious note – a new blog to check out (as if there weren’t enough already). Dominic Delmolino has started a blog. I’ve known Dominic for a while (well, ever since he was regarded as a replication expert as noted in his blog entry). I’ve pointed directly to one of the blog entries of his that I liked in particular – “That’ll Teach Me”. It reminded me very much of my “Why Why is probably the Right Answer” short talk I give. Anyway – I’ve added him to my list of blogs to check out.


Blogger melanie caffrey said....

When I saw Dominic's talk at HOTSOS, I was vacillating between his talk and that of the other speaker in the same time slot (something I often did at HOTSOS 2006 - it's such a fantastic lineup at HOTSOS, whose talk do you choose? And what will you miss out on by choosing it? Always a very difficult choice ...)

In any event, with him being a long-time friend of Cary and Mogens, I chose Dominic. :)

And I'm very glad I did.

His talk was outstanding.

David Kurtz and I were nodding our heads (that's shaking our heads for you, Tom ;) ) in agreement, all the while.

I'm very glad to see Dominic blogging.

Mon Mar 27, 02:07:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Those monitors are actually real. If you read the specs, they connect via DVI, which is quite possible to do considering Dell's new quad video card machine.

Mon Mar 27, 03:58:00 PM EST  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

IMAX is only 10000x7000, I'd think that would be enough for anyone short of Professor Charles Xavier.

Mon Mar 27, 05:54:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Those monitors are actually real.

show me the page to order them ;)

The concept is likely technically possible - the site itself not sure ("brake" all the rules...)

Mon Mar 27, 06:03:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Dan Kefford said....


Maybe you need to get involved here.

I approached you last year when you spoke in Connecticut and asked if you knew anything about Edward Tufte. I know you're not a "user-interface guy", but he too was all over the idea of using the highest resolution possible, whether on paper or in pixels.

Mon Mar 27, 06:49:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anthony Wilson said....

Hi Tom,

On the subject of other Oracle blogs, I was looking around for blogs belonging to internal Oracle people, preferably those developers working on the Oracle kernel. I'd be interested in the development process used and to hear a bit more about the technical decision making process which determines what goes into Oracle.

I know Microsoft has a number of employees who maintain blogs in this vein, but Oracle seems to be more of a "black box" in this respect. Can you give me any pointers?


Mon Mar 27, 09:21:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Mark A. Williams said....

> Those monitors are actually real.

Here is an interesting page from The Register in regard to the company that supposedly manufactured them (the company went out of business in Oct. 2004):

You can find various discussions about whether the company itself was just an elaborate hoax, as mentioned in The Register page.

Again, from The Register:

"But what about the products? Certainly there were plenty on the company's web site. But with just two - or one? - persons working, where did they find the time to come up, as they claim, with umpteen notebook models; desktops; workstations; servers; media centres; PDAs; three-, four- and five-panel monitor rigs; super computers and so on? No wonder they couldn't fulfil all the orders they received - they were too busy coming up with all this stuff..."

"If Liebermann was not a hoax, as its founder(s) maintain, it certainly is/was an exaggerated, highly-stylised image of the industry as a whole. And, defunct, it's still making headlines."

- Mark

Mon Mar 27, 10:29:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Mark A. Williams said....

The URL was truncated. It should be (with line breaks):

- Mark

Mon Mar 27, 10:31:00 PM EST  


<< Home