Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Hotsos Symposium...

I see Doug Burns put out his list of sessions he’ll be attending at the Hotsos Symposium next week. Well, from this schedule, here are my picks:

Monday
  • 9:45 – well, obviously I’ll do my session. Thanks Cary for putting me dead FIRST, on two days. I am such a morning person so it is really no problem at all.
  • 11am – I want to see David Kurtz’s presentation on “Peoplesoft: A properly instrumented Application”. It should go nicely as a follow on to my session.
  • 1pm – I will probably go see Julian Dykes “Inside RAC”
  • 2:15pm – I want to hear about “Analytic Function and Block (re)Visits”. Always looking for new ways to showcase analytics (they rock, they roll…)
  • 3:30pm – Cary’s presentation (which will be yet another nice follow on to my own) on “Lessons Learned, Version 2006.3”

Then, apparently, it is “party time” for Monday night. Fortunately, I don’t have to wake up really early Tuesday to speak (no, that would be Wednesday I have to do that again, in case I didn’t mention it – Thanks Cary for giving me two speaking slots really really early in the morning).

Tuesday
  • 8:30am – I want to check out Mark’s “Deadlock” presentation.
  • 9:45am – Doug’s “Parallel” session.
  • 11am – Wolfgang’s“Tuning by Cardinality Feedback” presentation looks good.
  • 1pm – Hard call, but Larry’s title of “Combining the Chocolate of Technical Metrics and the Peanut Butter of Business Metrics” wins
  • 2:15pm – This was really hard – I wanted to see both, but will likely choose Jonathan’s “V$ and X$”talk
  • 3:30pm – “No, Cary, We're STILL not Tuning the Right SQL Statements”, but of course.

And then – an early night, for you see – Cary has scheduled me (did I thank him for that yet?) at 8:30 in the morning the next day…

Wednesday
  • 8:30am (yes, 8:30am) - Performance Impact of the LOG ERRORS Clause in 10gR2
  • 9:45am – I’ll likely pop into “How NOT to Develop an Oracle Based Application”
  • 11am and 1pm – I’m intrigued by “Applied Mathematics for Database Practitioners, Part I: The Maths” and “Applied Mathematics for Database Practitioners, Part II: The Application”. So, I will check them out
  • 2:15pm – Hard one again – but likely “How Many Slaves? (Parallel Execution and the Magic of Two)” by Doug
  • 3:30pm (did anyone else notice that Cary has talks scheduled at the END of the day – at the nice hour of 3:30pm in the afternoon, whereas I appear to have, well, really early ones?) – I’ll probably skip Cary’s session to see what Tim Gorman has to say about “Using STATSPACK as a Performance Data Warehouse”

And then the show is over, but the training day begins. I did the training day last year and this year Jonathan Lewis is going to do it. I’ve been scheduled to go to his seminars at least 2 or 3 times in the past but had to back out at the last minute due to scheduling conflicts. This time – I hope to make it.

Speaking of Jonathan, Christopher Foot just reviewed his new book and the review is pretty good. You can read it here

So, if you are going to Hotsos next week – see you there, I get in late Sunday night – all the better to get up really early and have the first session in the morning (thanks Cary!)
POST A COMMENT

15 Comments:

Blogger Cary said....

Ah yes, you see we need certain attributes in our first-slot speakers each day. We need someone who will guarantee that people have a strong motive to get out of bed. And especially on that first morning, we need someone who can set the tone for the entire event to come.

And on the third day, well, it's the greatest compliment to Tom that I could bestow. Who else in the world would have a chance of filling a room with Tanel Põder's "Even More Advanced Research Techniques" going on next door?

Wed Mar 01, 11:51:00 AM EST  

Blogger shrek said....

um Mr. Kyte, sir

if i sit in the front row, will you throw things at me to keep me awake?;-)

Wed Mar 01, 12:23:00 PM EST  

Blogger Rjamya said....


shrek said...
um Mr. Kyte, sir

if i sit in the front row, will you throw things at me to keep me awake?;-)


I'll do that Bill, if Tom misses.
Raj

Wed Mar 01, 12:52:00 PM EST  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

Starting so early, finishing so late ... something's got to give. One of those afternoon sessions will have to be my designated siesta time. I'll be recognisable by the dazed expression and the spit stain on the shirt front.

Wed Mar 01, 01:11:00 PM EST  

Blogger Doug Burns said....

Tom,

"Fortunately, I don’t have to wake up really early Tuesday to speak"

Yeah, but some of us do! I suppose 9:45 isn't early, but Mogens hasn't got hold of me yet ;-)

Looking forward to it (did I mention that?)

Cheers,

Doug

Wed Mar 01, 01:24:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Patty C. said....

My head hurts already - for more than one reason! I think you only did the early morning slot after the party the first year right? My question is who will be wearing the feather boa for their presentation on Tuesday?

Wed Mar 01, 02:56:00 PM EST  

Blogger Mark J. Bobak said....

8:30am...ugh!

I've GOT to be a good boy Monday night, or I'll never make it to my presentation at 8:30 (8:30??) on Tuesday morning.

I wonder what "attributes" Cary was referring to in his previous comment? If I knew what they were, I could try to avoid such attributes in the future, to avoid getting the 8:30am slot....yes, I know, I know, someone's got to take the morning slot....;-)

It's going to be a good week!

-Mark

Wed Mar 01, 05:51:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Siva K said....

Hi Tom,
Somewhat unrelated question in this thread. How do we get to submit a paper, and present it at Oracle Openworld 2006? I have searched in Oracle site, but I don't see any information on this. Is now too early or too late to submit a summary for the paper? Could you please post in your blog the process for selecting a topic for a paper, and present it at Openworld? Many people may find this information useful. Thank you.

Regards,
Siva K

Thu Mar 02, 12:45:00 AM EST  

Blogger oracos said....

cool, Tom.
That's exactly what I was looking for because I also had some "hard calls" on some sessions. I wish they would have split these sessions into a more or less newbie (fluffy) vs hardcore tracks, rather than put two, equally important sessions simultaneous.... or perhaps expand the conference one more day.. :-)

Thu Mar 02, 11:22:00 AM EST  

Blogger Rachel said....

now I'm jealous... but classes start on Tuesday and I can't miss that just to see you all... have a drink (or two) for me and tell everyone hello.

and for oracos -- there are NO "fluffy" sessions at Hotsos. One of the things that make it such a great conference

Thu Mar 02, 04:03:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Patty C. said....

We will miss you Rachel, especially me since that makes one less female attending! Talk about data skew. This is one of the few big events where there is a lineup at the men's restroom and not at the women's restroom during breaktime.

Fri Mar 03, 08:12:00 AM EST  

Blogger critic said....

Tom,
Thanks for the Grid thoughts in Oklahoma City yesterday. I posed the problem with the 'separation of duties' emphasis in major corporations at the end of the meeting. I then talked with one of our unix sysadmins. He welcomed the idea of Grid computing,so I was wrong. Now if we could only get management to stop buying the big iron... :P
Sorry I'll miss Hotsos, but my oldest is getting married and I have miles to go before I sleep...
Cheers,
Rick Ehlinger
Hertz Corporation

Fri Mar 03, 04:48:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

It's not fair. Not everybody can attend this, far or near. I know this is a business venture, but I hope that some will be more forth-coming in making their technical knowledge more generally available.

Fri Mar 03, 05:08:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

But all the best and I shall be listening from afar. Just wanting to make sure my previous comment did not come across as grumpy, cause it was not. Just envy, if you like.

Fri Mar 03, 05:21:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Not everybody can attend this...

This is true, but - these sorts of conferences take place all over the place, all of the time.

The speakers at this conference do spend a considerable amount of time "spreading the news".

I will say the quality of this particular conference is higher than average. Keeping the tracks down to two at a time is something I REALLY like. Limiting the size of the audience is another. Sometimes the conferences can become victims of their own success. I really enjoy the UKOUG - but it is so hard to choose what tracks to attend, so much going on.

This is like the small hometown conference - where everyone knows everyone else ;) It is unique.


(and Rachel - we'll miss you this year!)

Fri Mar 03, 05:37:00 PM EST  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home