Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Burnout part two...

Burnout part two.    Almost a year ago I wrote about burnout .  (Hey, one year of blogging coming up next month, wow).    Now that I read this it is time to revisit it again.

Eddie Awad wrote that this could be “blogger burnout” – could be, but I doubt it.  Blogging should be something that is fun, enjoyable, and totally non-committal.  You are free to either do it or not, as you see fit.  With RSS feeds, no one needs to poll a blog by themselves, their news aggregator should do that for them.  Although – not enough people use that – as evidenced by the fact that when I took a couple of days off – the hits on my blog did not go down in a large way.  It would appear that people kept coming.

Did I experience burnout for a while? No, not really – there was just a 12 day period where I quite simply didn’t have anything to say (March 10th – March 22nd).  And then all of a sudden I did.  I still did my day job,, a conference, a consulting gig, a user group, my daughters soccer tournament and so on.  I was busy, had other things to do.  The blog is a place I write for fun (if my teachers from high school ever saw me write those words “write for fun” they would not believe it) and if something else more relevant gets in the way – so be it.

So, I don’t think people are “burning out” as much as finding other priorities and things they need or want to do more.

For everyone that “turns off” however, two or three more seem to pop up.  I’ve been enjoying some of the new ones and will continue to aggregate the old ones waiting for stuff to turn up.

Read that definition of burnout on the original blog entry.  I don’t think people coming and going from the “blog space” is burnout:

burnout: The low moral or hopelessness stakeholders feel because of churn, overwork, unrealistic goals, and/or inadequate support. People stop trying because they feel like they've tried and failed, or their work is meaningless or unappreciated.

It is not meaningless, unappreciated, failed.  

It should be a hobby – fun and personally meaningful.  When it becomes something that you could stop doing because of burnout – that would mean you should have stopped a long long time ago.


Blogger Niall said....

I agree, not for the first time, physical human interactions, family, career and so on should definitely take precedence over virtual ones (IMO), when i've paused its either because I have little to say, or because of real-world taking precedence - I'd like to think that that is healthy. Not that the development of the virtual social network doesn't have huge real implications for the human species, just that 'real-life' still has more meaning, significance and urgency than 'cyber-life'. I can't help wondering if that will be true for my grandchildren though.

Wed Mar 29, 12:24:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

1 year!!! Time does fly

Wed Mar 29, 01:02:00 PM EST  

Blogger Doug Burns said....


Maybe (a small part of) the reason you still get hits when not posting is because people come to look at the follow-up comments. You have a quality readership to go with a quality blog ;-) Some of it's just idle surfing too, no doubt (... he mumbles guiltily)

As for the family or (insert anything human, personal and important here) taking precedence, I couldn't agree more. The good thing with a blog, though, is that it doesn't take too much time and should be fun. asktom, for example is really hard work and a different prospect! I know you have your own reasons and personality, but that would be sure to cause most of us to feel burnt-out!

Wed Mar 29, 01:05:00 PM EST  

Blogger shrek said....

life? vot is this life you speak of?;-)

Wed Mar 29, 01:32:00 PM EST  

Blogger Norman Brightside said....

burnout: The low moral or hopelessness stakeholders feel because of churn, overwork, unrealistic goals, and/or inadequate support. People stop trying because they feel like they've tried and failed, or their work is meaningless or unappreciated.

I read this and immediately burned out. It epitomises the sort of pretentiousness in the 'blogging' community that I despise.

Blogging is just a harmless bit of fun. If people enjoy it, all well and good.

If not, fine. Go and play with your kids, build a wardrobe, go to a gig, listen to music, read a book, talk to your partner, go to the pub but don't over make something that is very simple appear very complicated.

Wed Mar 29, 06:35:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I read this and immediately burned out.

I agree with the sentiment, a bit bitter sounding but the sentiment is there ;)

If it ain't fun anymore, stop doing it.

If you don't have time for it anymore, stop doing it.

But "burnedout", I don't see that.

Wed Mar 29, 06:37:00 PM EST  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

Maybe some low morals might be good for morale.

Wed Mar 29, 06:41:00 PM EST  

Blogger Norman Brightside said....

s/Burned Out/Turned Off/p

Wed Mar 29, 07:16:00 PM EST  

Blogger Jeff Moss said....

I guess I oughta comment really since I kinda triggered the post!

My wife Amanda and I had (our first child) baby Jude just over 9 months ago and for the first six months while we were just getting through the sleepless nights and reading the "Babies for Dummies" handbooks things were fine and I was able to find time - mainly in the wee small hours - to do some blogging as well as my normal "day job".

The trouble is the things I came across seemed to be things that I needed to go off and research more - which takes time in itself. That research then led to the opportunity to present for the UKOUG SIGs which I enjoyed - but again took up a lot of time to prepare something I'd be happy putting my name on - I guess I just had too many things on my plate and I had to let some go - blogging got caught in the crossfire so to speak.

I'm still presenting in April - after that I'll have a break and enjoy some family time for the rest of the year. I'll take a view on what extra curricular activities I can take on for 2007 when the time comes.

I still want to play a more active part in the Oracle community but I just needed to take a step back and focus on some "family" things for a while.

I'm sure I'll see people around at the SIGs and UKOUG Conference.

Take care all

Thu Mar 30, 02:45:00 AM EST  


<< Home