Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Quote unquote...

Quote unquote.  Oracle Announces General Availability of Oracle(R) Database 10g Express Edition.

How is this for multi-tasking.  I simultaneously installed both the 8bit and unicode XE versions into two different Windows VM’s while at the same time catching up on email and some blogs I read.

10 minutes – 2 installs (including the OS! I just cloned my base VM), 15 emails and even had time to write a long follow up on a blog that had a bit of bad advice.  Not bad – now it is time for lunch…

If you haven’t played with XE before – now that it is production, I’d recommend taking a look at it.


Anonymous Rahul said....

I managed to mess up the 10g Enterprise Edition uninstall on my laptop running Windows XP. That prevents the 10g XE (beta) installation from completing. No error message it just waits forever on the creating services step. Unless the Production version automagically corrects whatever I messed up, I'll have to play around on our Development database ;).

Tue Feb 28, 01:15:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

rahul take a look at 6.3.3 Manually Removing the Remaining Oracle Database Components

I would try to clean up the mess and try again to install XE

Petar Repac

Tue Feb 28, 02:02:00 PM EST  

Blogger jimk said....

i downloaded it yesterday and have been playing with it. I like it. I am thinking of designing a small inventory application for the annual wine tasting fund raiser at a local school. They have it written in Access right now. I have been experimenting with this and it looks pretty easy to do in Oracle XE. (reports, screens, etc.) I am thinking of doing it and then working with the High School teacher to see if we could gen up a small after school class on data modeling, application design, etc. (using this as an example.)

This is a nice tool for this type of thing.

Tom, one suggestion. If they could come out with a nice install on Standard One etc. for this then companies could use that (properly licensed from Oracle, since the amount of data might exceed 4 gigs) to make a central place for small intra company database applications. (instead of using MS Access)

Advantages I see:
1. Much easier for a company to manage backups and recovery of these small database apps. (since there would be 1 database instead of a slew of Access MDB files all over the place)
2. Probably cheaper. You wouldn't have to buy all those copies of MS Access.
3. Nice easy to use interface. (htmldb)
4. Compatible with a wider range of user's machines. (user needs a web browser)
5. Scales better.
6. Central place for users and developers to go. Combines the web aspect and the database aspect rather nicely.

That is all I can think of right now.

Tue Feb 28, 02:50:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Jeremy said....

I agree with Jimk.
A nice install for Standard 1 would would be a great addition to the suite.

XE (beta) has taken off here as a training tool for users, we put a limited dataset into an export with a batch file to load the data and setup the client. Then provide everything on a CD along with docs, users can then install XE, and train/learn/experiment with their app until they feel they are ready for the real world.

They can even take it home with them.

Tue Feb 28, 05:29:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Sokrates said....

Congrats, Oracle

Who remember the times when
we had to pay for every Oracle
client we installed ?

Now we can
embed an Oracle database in our application or product to extend customer value at no additional cost

Great, thx !

Tue Feb 28, 07:15:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Sokrates said....

oops, tried to download it from technet
one problem:
how can I find out, whether
I am
... not listed on the United States Department of Treasury lists of Specially Designated Nationals, Specially Designated Terrorists, and Specially Designated Narcotic Traffickers, nor [am I] listed on the United States Department of Commerce Table of Denial Orders.

Anyone can give me access to these
databases so I can query them if I am on the lists ?

Tue Feb 28, 07:20:00 PM EST  

Blogger Danny R said....


Try this,

Before the install go into control panel/admistrative tools/services

locate oraclexetnslistener and in the properties set it to manual. Then start a fresh install of XE. This should stop it hanging at the create services stage.

Theres a link to the thread on OTN on my blog
here .

Hope this helps.

Danny R

PS - this is cool, its the first time I have been able to actually respond to a post and help someone, instead of asking for help myself!

Tue Feb 28, 08:03:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Bob Bunch said....

Tom, I'm curious; what's your VM collection consist of nowadays? Which operating systems and Oracle versions combinations (or non-Oracle [gasp] ;) do you keep around a/o play with? I've been a long-time user of VMWare myself (since before 3.x, if I remember), and my collection just keeps growing and growing... ;)

Tue Feb 28, 09:03:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Gaetano Giunta said....

Hope the glitches of the beta versions have been fixed...

A couple of problems I had:
- on first install I could not connect to an Oracle 8 DB that uses DEC8 charset
- second try, trying to create a dns with oracle jdbc drivers always crashes
- oh, and the 'subscribe to forums' links always found a way to escape my attention, ie. very little support available...

Wed Mar 01, 04:07:00 AM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Tom, I'm curious; what's your VM collection consist of nowadays?

A bunch of linux and windows vm's with the various Oracle releases on them from 8i on up. Now that we have SMP support - a couple of those as well.

Hope the glitches of the beta versions have been fixed...

That is what betas are for - but anyway. As for support, if registering for the forum always escapes your attention - you have lost the only venue of support for the free version of Oracle.

It is hardly that very little support is available - only that you chose not to pursue it.

Wed Mar 01, 06:27:00 AM EST  

Blogger Don Dybas said....

Tom - Just installed XE and SQL*Developer and got 'em connected up... a very simple and straightforward exercise. My most (pleasantly) surprising experience was the speed and responsiveness of SQL*Developer. Looks like a great tool and can't wait to use it more.

Wed Mar 01, 02:06:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Rahul said....

Tom, apologies for ranting forum style about the install.

Thanks to Peter and Danny for responding. I did get 10g XE installed with a lot of help from the XE forum at http://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=1229533

Wed Mar 08, 11:21:00 PM EST  

Blogger anand said....


Let me know why redo logs have .log extension
Its dba tendency that remove .logs .Better to change extension as .rdo

Sat Mar 11, 09:04:00 AM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

What says it better than log?

Certainly not "rdo" which is less than meaningful.

they are online logs (as opposed to archive logs), redo is almost an adjective here.

They are logfiles - hence ".log"

".rdo" almost sounds like instant message speak.

Sat Mar 11, 09:12:00 AM EST  


<< Home