Friday, February 24, 2006

I often wondered...

I often wondered if the “shark tank” stories are made up. That one has me thinking “they have to be”.

But then again… Now you know what I do during lunch at my desk…


Blogger Daniel Fink said....

Oh, the stories we could all tell...

I have yet to see a Shark Tank story that is so far out in left field that I doubt it's authenticity.

Then again...perhaps I am just too old and cynical?

Fri Feb 24, 12:06:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I wonder about them too some times. Especially this one, until I recalled the one that happened at a place I once worked. Seems some computer systems require twist-lock plugs to ensure they have their own circut. Also 120 Volt and 240 Volt twistlocks look remarkably similar, but are not interchangable. Now, with only one receptical handy under the raised floor -- a twist lock 240Volt. A new server with a conventional US type flat-blade plug, a spare twist-lock plug that fits the receptical, a hardware tech haddy with a wire cutter and screwdriver, 15 minutes to swap the plugs and thee days to get a new power supply on site and installed.

Fri Feb 24, 12:09:00 PM EST  

Blogger shrek said....

and everyone's hears the one about the cleaning lady unplugging the computer to plug in her vacume. and it's a fake, right? WRONG. yup, been there done that. we had the eectritions put in a plug just for her. now why they spent the money for a carpeted raised floor is another whole story. along with the static electricity stories.;-)

Fri Feb 24, 12:44:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Shrek - The cleaning people one made me laugh.

I was working the weekend once - setting up a rather large database. Things are going good.

All of a sudden IO errors here, there, everywhere.

Go to the computer room - I kid you not, there is a guy with a feather duster lifting the plastic cover on some switches working his way down the equipment...

They no longer dust the computer equipment.

I also remember the night the cleaning people very nicely cleaned with spray every single whiteboard in our building.

every. single. one.

They were perfectly clean - beautifully clean. Clean like you have never seen clean.

But unfortunately, no one had bothered to take a picture of their whiteboard the night before.

Fri Feb 24, 01:00:00 PM EST  

Blogger Bill S. said....

I have two favorites of my own (was actually present for both). One was a night shift computer operator who wanted to help cool off an overheating UPS by putting a bucket of ice water on it. The other one was an IT VP who wouldn't authorize my request for plastic covers on the EPO switches until an operator accidentally backed into the main one in the middle of the day.

I believe they are all true, every one of them. Well, most of them ;-D.

Fri Feb 24, 01:22:00 PM EST  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

My Shark Tank story was ture ... got a free shirt! Everyone likes free stuff, right?

Maybe I'll take it to HotSOS ... up the geek factor a little.

Fri Feb 24, 01:44:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Once on a customer site had to format and re-install everything from scratch(right from OS), because the cleaning guy "accidently" unplugged the power to the server, and the client had never taken any backups because they had never expected "this" type of thing to happen.

Fri Feb 24, 02:58:00 PM EST  

Anonymous John spencer said....

I believe all the stories on Shark Tank, I have lived more than a few.

My favourite comes from a friend who worked the Help Desk for a company. AAt the time their main application was mainframe based and used dumb terminals. She got a call from a user who could not connect to the application. After trying everything on the checklist, and a few thoughts of her own, something the user said triggered her to as "Where exactly are you?". The user replied, "At home, I brought my computer home to do some work because my son had no school today and I couldn't get a sitter."

Three plugs out, two back in.

Fri Feb 24, 04:39:00 PM EST  

Blogger jimk said....

I remember attending an Oracle training class. The instructor (after class) was telling us about an experience she had with a customer. They had sent out floppys and everyone worked but not this particular customer's floppys. They sent them out again with the same result. The customer was getting very angry. (She had tested the floppys before she sent them to the customer.) Her boss sent her on site with floppies. She described how nervous she was about something going wrong with the floppies. She arrived at he customer site the next day. She went on the system and using the floppies she bought everythig went fine. SHe went to the customer's office and there found the problem. His floppies were hanging on the wall (metal wall) by a magnet.

The customer sent flowers to her hotel room.

Fri Feb 24, 04:59:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Remember when PC's started out? My company has 1 or 2 initially. An admin person (having done a dos course) was tasked with copying files weekly to a floppy disk and then making a copy.

Predictably disaster occured with a recovery from a copied floppy disk required.

Said person was asked to furnish the appropriate disk . . .

Which one we were asked when presented with a ring binder full of photocopies of the same disk.

I kid you not.

Sun Feb 26, 03:32:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I'll up your photocopy story.

You cannot make this one up:

Showed up for training one day way back when - about 1994 I believe. No ppt's, no "project from laptop", we used the old fashioned overhead projector with transparencies.

The mail room lost the transparencies, but the instructor had the hard copy (paper). So, instructor asked the mail room guy to make transparencies from the paper - while the instructor would start without any visual aids.

Mail room guy comes back with box of transparencies - instructor picks first one off and projects it. It is unreadable - there are two images on it. Tries next on - same thing.

Asks the mail room guy "what the heck did you do???"

Mail room guy responds "transparencies are very expensive, in order to save cost, I did the single sided to double sided option on the copier"

I. Kid. You. Not.

Sun Feb 26, 08:44:00 PM EST  

Blogger Daniel Fink said....

Back in the early 90s, I worked for an oil/gas drilling company. They decided to put laptops out on the rigs (with cell phone modems), so that they could receive automated reports. Most of the men on the rigs had (at most) a high school education. One such person was always messing around and had to send in the laptop in every couple of months for us to completely reinstall the o/s, windows, software, etc.

One morning, he calls me to say "The pc burned up." After spending a good 15 minutes trying different things ("What do you see on the screen?", "Are all the cables plugged in?", etc), I tell him to send it in.

I take a moment to chat with the boss and tell her about the call. She says "Well, of course."...then proceeds to explain that there was a fire at the well site and that said pc really had 'burned up'!

Amazingly, when we received the pc, it still worked. The off-white case was now a shade of light brown, the screen was darker than normal...and it smelled like hell...but it still worked!

Mon Feb 27, 11:30:00 AM EST  


<< Home