Thursday, January 05, 2006

IETab and Bookmarklets...

IETab – now that is cool. This morning, Uwe Küchler commented on this Firefox plugin. I got it – and at first thought “it doesn’t work”. But then it proved its worth right then and there.

What I did – I installed IETab. This lets me click on a button in the status bar and have that tab use the IE engine to render the page. No more firing up IE as an external program, just flip flop back and forth between the Gecko rendering engine and IE.

After installing, the first two sites I tried where of course - no problem, and then Uh-oh I thought, this thing doesn’t work. The page looked really botched. The right hand side bar was not where it was supposed to be! So, I fired up the real IE and noticed “hey, same problem”.

Turns out the code I had embedded in the I like online communities posting was causing IE to push things around. I don’t fire up IE that often so never noticed it. This option – just press a button and see it – will let me verify that the two browsers most people use here (IE and Firefox) both render the page OK.

I’m going to try it out on other “you must use IE for this site” sites and see how it goes. Looks promising so for.

Another goodie I use all of the time is a bookmarklet. These are little javascript scripts that reside on your machine and re-do pages for you. The bookmarklets I use constantly are:
  • Zoom Images (makes graphics larger)

  • Zap Images (makes graphics go away)

  • Anchors – shows all of the hidden anchors on a page. If you have ever said “how does Tom manage to point to individual paragraphs or un-linked sections in the documentation” – this answers that question (there are thousands of hidden links in the documentation). It is also how I linked directly to Uwe’s comment above – there are hidden anchors on lots of pages (including asktom).


Blogger Warren McCall said....

Thanks Tom and Uwe, this is an excellent plug-in! Now I will never need to open up IE again :-)

Thu Jan 05, 11:52:00 AM EST  

Blogger Scott said....

Whoa - IETab even worked when launching Oracle eBusiness Suite forms!


(sound of trash emptying w/IE shortcut in it)

- Scott -

Thu Jan 05, 12:17:00 PM EST  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

doesn't Firefox'

Tools | Page Info | Links

display the same as the "Anchor Bookmarklet" ?

Thu Jan 05, 12:22:00 PM EST  

Blogger Tony said....

I haven't made any changes to my fomratting template, but I checked and it does render different in IE versus Firefox. IE shoves all of the stuff on the side down to the bottom. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Just like Tom, I don't really use IE, so I just assumed that everything looked right in IE.

Thu Jan 05, 12:24:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

display the same as the "Anchor Bookmarklet" ?

Not even *close*.

The anchor bookmarklet redraws the page with all of the hidden [a name=...] tags as

[a href= name=]the name[/a]

(using [] instead of the right brackets of course...)

so they are exposed as clickable links. You'll be surprised how many hidden links there are in pages (url#name type of links)

the firefox list shows them in a list - out of context. I just have a button on my bookmark bar named "anchor" - when I load oracle doc and find the paragraph I want to point you to - I hit "anchor" and there is the client I can right click and copy....

but I checked and it does render different in IE versus Firefox.

Just means you have something too wide in your body - your main text. Quick scan - I'd say it was the "A message from Ainsley " posting.

You need to force some breaks in there.

Thu Jan 05, 12:38:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Andrew said....

I have been using Netscape since it was Mosaic. Currently I am using Netscape 8.04 and it will (semi) automatically switch between ID and Firefox rendering engines according to how it thinks the page wants to be rendered. You can, of course, define a site to always render with one engine or the other. Or you can switch by poking the icon at the bottom left of the window.

But I must admit that Firefox has improved quite a bit since the inital release. And Thunderbird seems alot like the old Netscape mail tool.

BTW, how many know how to get at the quote from "The Book of Mozilla" easter egg in Firefox/Netscape?

Thu Jan 05, 12:47:00 PM EST  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

Not even *close*.

I think you meant the "named anchors" bookmarklet on:

Which works as you described in your response to me... very very useful, definetely, and very very cool also.

Thu Jan 05, 02:34:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Indeed, I put the wrong link in there! I've fixed that (I got them so long ago...)

Thu Jan 05, 02:44:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

BTW, how many know how to get at the quote from "The Book of Mozilla" easter egg in Firefox/Netscape?

Have the browser go to page "about:mozilla". Bear in mind that Firefox used to be called Phoenix.

IETab looks very interesting, but I think I'll wait until Microsoft patches that WMF vulnerability before I play with it. I have no idea what can of worms switching the rendering engine might open.

Bob Shepard

Thu Jan 05, 03:40:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I think I'll wait until Microsoft patches that WMF vulnerability

Never mind. It looks like Microsoft just released the patch.

My word verification: "gasvmtp"

Shouldn't have had those beans for lunch ....

Thu Jan 05, 04:32:00 PM EST  

Anonymous eugene l said....

Another pretty cool extension is the google suggest search bar enhancement.

Google Suggest for Firefox (Info Page)

It seems to be a bit underpublicized, since it's not published at any of the usual extension mirrors, as far as I can tell.

Sat Jan 07, 07:52:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Kamus said....

maybe you can try the webdeveloper extention for firefox, including all the function that you want from bookmarklets and even stronger.

Mon Jan 16, 05:27:00 AM EST  


<< Home