Thursday, January 19, 2006

I have a couple of questions for you....

I have a couple of questions (three of them at least, make sure to page down!) for you – about Oracle XE. As you may or may not know, Oracle XE is the “free” Oracle. It is close to the end of the beta process for this and we (we being the people monitoring the forum, which is the only venue of support) were wondering about a couple of things. If you have time, I’m hoping you can answer a few questions for me…

Have you downloaded and installed Oracle Database XE?
Plan to in the near future

Free polls from

Have you signed up for the Online Forum for XE?
Plan to in the near future
Did not know about the forum

Free polls from

If you haven't signed up for the forum after downloading XE, why not?
Did not know about the forum
Planned to do it later, and did not get to it!
Did not need to sign up for the forum
Did not want to sign up for the forum
I had problems signing up

Free polls from

If you did not want to sign up for the forum - or had problems signing up, please leave a comment so we know what the issues you had were.

And in closing – if you can suggest any ways we can improve the XE/forum experience – please let me know. Just add a comment to the blog.



Anonymous John said....

never got the email that they said I would

Thu Jan 19, 02:31:00 PM EST  

Blogger Eddie Awad said....

Just a quick note to let you know that I have stumbled upon a new free online poll service that is, in my pinion, much better than Pollhost. I have just used it on my blog and it works great. You can check it out at

Thu Jan 19, 03:12:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Andrew said....

Thought forum was just another Oracle 'Forum' on the metalink 'Forums' tab and could not find it. Thought it was not yet available, then never went back to it again. Wanted to lurk a little bit to get a feel for issues about product before downloading and trying to use.

Thu Jan 19, 04:12:00 PM EST  

Blogger jimk said....

It took me awhile to signup for the forum because the darn thing was (maybe still is) hidden. THat is the signup location wasn't clear. Please make it clear -if that hasn't already been done. Sometimes the Oracle web sites are too clever and it is difficult to find the link that you are looking for. (eg Oracle World)

Thu Jan 19, 04:54:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Dave said....

i've said it on the forum, but I think paid support would be a super option to make people consider it more

Thu Jan 19, 06:04:00 PM EST  

Blogger Connor McDonald said....

My issues with the forum:

a) it was hidden. "Please let us know what you think about XE...but ssshhh, its hidden over here".... ugh!

b) When you compare the forums to any rudimentary news reader (for usenet etc), the forums come out a distant second. Slow to display, painful to navigate around...

Thu Jan 19, 07:45:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Partha said....

Primary reason was that it was hidden. Second thing is that, since it was already mentioned it was the same code-base as the other editions, it restricted usage only to XE specific issues like licensing usages (or bugs if any). Interface related questions were answered in the htmldb forum as well. Answers for licensing and stuff are available in FAQ and other sites, so did not feel a specific reason to log into the forums..except to read about other peoples experiences and acceptability.

Thu Jan 19, 08:20:00 PM EST  

Anonymous dave said....

I tend to avoid the OTN forums. Seems to be a lot of information there, at least in some forums, but the search capabilities are just terrible and makes it hard to find anything.

Thu Jan 19, 10:07:00 PM EST  

Blogger Forbrich said....

I've been reading the 'Database - General' forum, and it's pretty clear that the following are consistent issues with signing up for the XE forum:

1) The invitation to sign up does not occur VISIBLY until a sucessful install. A number of downloads do not end up in a successful install;

2) On registration, the registrant is informed that they will receive an EMail within 24 hours. That email NEVER shows up;

3) Many people never logon to the discussion forums. They simply lurk or post anonymously. Those people will never realize that the XE forum exists - because it does not show up until they sign in. And they don't know to sign in until they receive the email (see 2)

Thu Jan 19, 10:49:00 PM EST  

Anonymous 3360 said....

I signed up for the forum, but only go to it very occasionally. The reasons are:

I have to use a separate account for the XE forum as a valid email address was needed and since the forum software does not allow you to change the email address, the only way to do this is create a new account. As all my history is linked to my existing account I stick with it and don't mind missing the email. Logging out and logging in with a different account to get to the XE forum is a pain.

The forum is not linked from the forums page so I need a separate bookmark for that forum, I don't see it when I am in the other forums so I never browse to it.

XE is pretty nice otherwise. I am going to be at least playing with the web app features which is not normally my cup of tea.

Thu Jan 19, 11:20:00 PM EST  

Blogger thierry said....

Since it is not possible to change the email of an account, the confirmation mail arrived at my previous employer. And i do not want to create a complete new account.

Fri Jan 20, 01:47:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I signed up but no confirmation arrived.

Fri Jan 20, 02:17:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Øyvind, Oslo said....

I use the forum just occasionaly, because I don't have many problems with XE. As an Opera user, OTN-forums give me the blues.

XE got me started with htmldb and as a DBA I have made some useful internal applications that I would not had the time to make otherwise.

Fri Jan 20, 03:19:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Would use the forum but cant find it.

I did install XE (linux rpm) but it never came any information on where to find the forum.
I have logged in to the forums but can't fins any links there to it.

Fri Jan 20, 03:57:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Matthias Rogel said....

tried to install it on my
mickysoft xp,
it didn't
(cannot remember the error)

planning next install
when beta stadium is over

SQL> $dir "E:\Oracle Express Beta\"Oraclexe.exe
Volume in Laufwerk E: hat keine Bezeichnung.
Volumeseriennummer: E850-3407

Verzeichnis von E:\Oracle Express Beta

14.11.2005 12:03 157.482.880 OracleXE.exe

forum ?
where can I find it ?
only when installation succeeded ?

Fri Jan 20, 08:26:00 AM EST  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

The there's the question of whether you are or are not logged in.

Fri Jan 20, 09:35:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Love XE, but the forum (like all other OTN forums) is not the most approachable. Besides the hoops required to find it in the first place the look-and-feel is very 'internal corporate IT dept'ish. The inability to change mail address is bizare, maybe people in Oracle are there for life but the rest of us move around and would like to bring our forum bound history/reputation with us. As for RSS support, "It's RSS Jim, I mean Tom , but not as we know it" :-)

Tom Gleeson aka OTN gleesoto

Fri Jan 20, 02:47:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

maybe later, too busy making oRACle / rac work on solaris and RHEL. no need for additional play-thing yet.
I do appreciate the facility though. Excellent way to familiarize current and future users/dbas/developerd with the product.



Sat Jan 21, 04:52:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Ntwiga said....

Tried an XE install but the installer failed and mysteriously disappeared towards the end of the install not once but four times. I knew about the forum but could not access it since I did not have the XE installed ( blurb on XE download page at that time said that access to the forum would be granted on successful install ) and searching on google/ did not bring up a link.

I got caught in a catch 22 needing the forum to help me get a successful install and needing a successful install to get into the forum. I just gave up, downloaded 10g as I have decent hardware and I have been using it since.

Sun Jan 22, 11:06:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....


How about in query like this..
select *
where action <> 'LOC'

any tricks to avoid the full table scan? not that FTS is bad ;)

Wed Jan 25, 11:42:00 AM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

How about in query like this..

strange place for this comment? But, it would have to be assumed that "where actions <> 'LOC'" returns very few rows (eg: an index makes sense) from a larg table.


where actions < 'LOC'
or actions > 'LOC'

might do it for you...

SQL> create table t
2 as
3 select 'LOC' actions, a.*
4 from all_objects a;

Table created.

SQL> update t set actions = 'ABC' where rownum <= 5;

5 rows updated.

SQL> create index t_idx on t(actions);

Index created.

SQL> exec dbms_stats.gather_table_stats( user, 'T', method_opt=>'for all indexed columns size 254' );

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

SQL> set autotrace traceonly explain
SQL> select * from t where actions <> 'LOC';

Execution Plan
Plan hash value: 1601196873

| Id | Operation | Name | Rows | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)| Time |
| 0 | SELECT STATEMENT | | 25 | 2425 | 167 (3)| 00:00:02 |
|* 1 | TABLE ACCESS FULL| T | 25 | 2425 | 167 (3)| 00:00:02 |

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):

1 - filter("ACTIONS"<>'LOC')

SQL> select * from t where actions < 'LOC' or actions > 'LOC';

Execution Plan
Plan hash value: 4259936809

| Id | Operation | Name | Rows | Bytes | Cost (%CPU)| Time |
| 0 | SELECT STATEMENT | | 26 | 2522 | 6 (0)| 00:00:01 |
| 1 | CONCATENATION | | | | | |
| 2 | TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID| T | 1 | 97 | 3 (0)| 00:00:01 |
|* 3 | INDEX RANGE SCAN | T_IDX | 1 | | 2 (0)| 00:00:01 |
| 4 | TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID| T | 25 | 2425 | 3 (0)| 00:00:01 |
|* 5 | INDEX RANGE SCAN | T_IDX | 25 | | 2 (0)| 00:00:01 |

Predicate Information (identified by operation id):

3 - access("ACTIONS">'LOC')
5 - access("ACTIONS"<'LOC')

SQL> set autotrace off

Wed Jan 25, 11:54:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....


Good work as always. Sorry for posting this question here. However, I thought that since you post the " tip" about index maybe I could ;)


Wed Jan 25, 03:48:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Can anyone tell me where to find the address of the forum????

Thu Jan 26, 10:41:00 AM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Thu Jan 26, 10:51:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Derek Broughton said....

I'm trying to install on a Debian system - and not prepared to wait for a true Debian package!

Unfortunately, you aren't given an opportunity to register for the forum when you _download_. It's easy if you already have the database installed (so I hear), but if you're having any trouble with the installation, joining the Forum is pretty complicated.

Also, once I joined, I got an email with a link to the forum, but I can _still_ only log in through Internet Explorer (ugh!) or Firefox. It doesn't work via konqueror - even though I read _other_ Oracle forums through konqueror

Fri Jan 27, 10:17:00 AM EST  

Anonymous JOHN PRADO said....

Why I cannot download the installer???

I've tried two machines and the download always interrupts before all bytes of the file is in my hard disk.

It's an annoying thing about a Oracle product.

An alternative location to download the installer will be a good thing to do.

Sat Jan 28, 07:57:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....


I've had XE/HTMLDB installed since November and *love* it! I hadn't bothered to register for the forum though until today. When I went through the registration process, it said that it would send an email to me with more information (url, etc.) but it still hasn't shown up.

I'll be patient but since you asked....

Tue Feb 07, 11:50:00 AM EST  


<< Home