Saturday, December 10, 2005

Zurich...

I’ve spent most of the last week in Zurich, before that I was in Oslo for a one day seminar.

I just finished a 3 day seminar here in Zurich however with Oracle University. They even made t-shirts for everyone which I thought was pretty cool:
IMG_1683
There have been t-shirts given away at seminars before, but never an “asktom” one – I wasn’t expecting that, they did it on their own and handed them out the last day.

This was a very good seminar – usually we go from 9am to 4/4:30 pm each day and maybe finish up a little early on the last day - but this time we did 3 solid days from 9-5 and didn’t even cover 100% of the material I normally do (got most of it). The audience was really interactive – I thoroughly enjoyed that, lots of questions, lots of interesting questions. I picked up a new idea or two myself as a result.

The venue I talked at was the Zurich Development Center. It was a pretty nice place as far as conference centers go. It did have the strangest way to label floors however:
IMG_1632
When they first told me to take the elevator “DOWN” to floor six (I walked in on the ground floor), I thought maybe the got the English words backwards – but no, they really meant to take the elevator DOWN to six from the ground floor. It was the strangest numbering scheme, but it worked…

Today I walked around Zurich taking the sites in and around town. Walked for a couple of hours – lots to see. Only wish it had been a couple of degrees warmer.

Anyway, back home tomorrow – with no travel scheduled for an entire month. That’ll be nice for a change – should be able to get caught up on everything and enjoy the holidays.
POST A COMMENT

12 Comments:

Anonymous Markku Uttula said....

Zürich... Nice city that has managed to keep their national identity rather intact. Last time I was there was when I was travelling to Basel to take part in OrbitIEX. Too bad (for me) it was raining at that time and I was in bit of a hurry and didn't manage to take as much time off in there as I would've wanted to.

Ah well - you can't win everytime. However, since it's possible to lose always, at the times I can have a win-win situation (read: no hurry and a nice place to get into) I do take full advantage of it.

And a nice touch the T-shirts :)

Sat Dec 10, 11:59:00 AM EST  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

A modulus elevator!

Sat Dec 10, 03:18:00 PM EST  

Blogger DaPi said....

That really is strange. Usually the Swiss floor numbering is mathematically impecable:

ground floor: 0 (of course!)
going up: 1, 2, 3, 4 . . .
going underground: -1, -2, -3, -4 . . .

(I'm kicking myself that I couldn't be there . . . next time?)

Sun Dec 11, 05:41:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Ralph Bellinghausen said....

We are glad that everybody enjoyed Tom's seminar here in Zurich.
We exclusively designed these cool T-shirts to make up for the elevator ;-)
Special thanks to Tom and Lutz who made this event such a great success !
And yes, we too hope there will be a next time soon.
In fact, we are already working on it...

Sun Dec 11, 03:04:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Kashif said....

I wouldn't be surprised if these T-shirts become collector's items in the near future and show up on e-Bay! They seem kind of cool though...

Kashif

Mon Dec 12, 11:12:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

what kind of digital camera do you have tom? features if you would please.....

Mon Dec 12, 02:24:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I have a canon powershot sd300 digital elph.

I bought it for the size, I wanted something that fit into my pocket very nicely but took decent enough photos. This fits the bill rather nicely.

Mon Dec 12, 03:32:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

nice, i just bought a Panasonic Lumix® DMC-LZ2 for my daughter (she's going to Australia this summer), been a 35mm guy all my life, what a toy!

Mon Dec 12, 04:51:00 PM EST  

Blogger Robert said....

huh ? on the road again ?

Mon Dec 12, 11:54:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

on the road again

Just back from two weeks (Los Angeles, St. Louis, Oslo and Zurich)....

No travel scheduled for a month (we'll see if that lasts all month :)

Tue Dec 13, 07:32:00 AM EST  

Blogger Moans Nogood said....

Ha! I remember we did a special AskTom white poloshirt when you did the first (and, you said, very last) three-day Master Class here in Denmark a couple of years ago...

Thu Dec 15, 01:07:00 AM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

remember we did a special AskTom white poloshirt


Well, it wasn't "asktom", it was a Master Class T-Shirt. I just took a photo of it as well. So, it is as I said "There have been t-shirts given away at seminars before, but never an “asktom” one" :)

I cannot believe it is one month short of being two years ago that I did that seminar. That was my first three day one and it was by far the scariest one. Jonathan Lewis, Cary Millsap and many others of the same caliber in the audience for three days. It was tough - and yes, I said I would never do it again... But I guess I changed my mind :)

Thu Dec 15, 07:16:00 AM EST  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home