Friday, December 23, 2005

Browser Wars...

I was just reading Boing Boing and saw that their readers use Firefox more than any other browser. I was sad to see it just isn’t so for here…

SQL> select browser,
2 round( ratio_to_report(cnt) over ()*100, 2 ) pct
3 from (
4 select browser, sum(cnt) cnt
5 from t
6 group by browser
7 )
8 order by 2 desc
9 /

--------------- ----------
MSIE 48.27
Firefox 44.27
Mozilla 4.09
Opera 1.82
Safari 1.27
Netscape .27

But it is close – on the brighter side of things:

SQL> select browser,
2 round( ratio_to_report(cnt) over ()*100, 2 ) pct
3 from (
4 select decode( browser, 'MSIE', 'MSIE', 'NOT MSIE' ) browser, sum(cnt) cnt
5 from t
6 group by decode( browser, 'MSIE', 'MSIE', 'NOT MSIE' )
7 )
8 order by 2 desc
9 /

-------- ----------
NOT MSIE 51.73
MSIE 48.27

Most people are not using IE when reading this blog. I need more Mac users obviously…


Anonymous Anonymous said....

I'm curious why people get so hung up about a browser.

Seems a bit of a funny thing o care about

Fri Dec 23, 05:19:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Because it amuses some of us?

You don't have pet peeves?

Fri Dec 23, 05:27:00 PM EST  

Blogger Lance Hoover said....

Any stats on RSS readers? Not sure how those work. Can you log stats as you can with web browsers? I could stop using thunderbird RSS and go back to using firefox if that will help :-)

Fri Dec 23, 05:29:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Not on the RSS readers - that is why I only give summaries, not full blurbs in them (I wouldn't know how many people really read this stuff). I cannot put a hit counter into bloggers feeds.

Fri Dec 23, 05:33:00 PM EST  

Anonymous chris said....

Glad to push firefox on linux (OS would be interesting, too) a bit, hehe ;-). Today a colleague told me about how he liked the usage of the word "appropriate" in conjunction with training in HJR's latest posting. We're not native english speakers, maybe that's why some words have a "click" effect. Anyway, reading your posting made me remember that word.
Sometimes I get very suspicious when statistics present percentage numbers with commas because they create a false feeling of accuracy.
Of course, being the reason of the very famous "Tom Kyte Effect" means that you will probably get enough hits so that's no direct criticism of your numbers ;-).

Fri Dec 23, 05:41:00 PM EST  

Blogger Lance Hoover said....

I don't understand this statement: "...that is why I only give summaries, not full blurbs in them..."

When I look at your blog via thunderbird I see the same thing that I see via the web page?

But now that I am looking at the options for the RSS feed subscription, there is a check box that says "show the article summary instead of loading the web page" which I have unchecked, so I am loading the web page. So how does that work? What "broswer" shows up when I'm displaying the entire web page via thunderbird?

Fri Dec 23, 06:01:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

When I look at your blog via thunderbird I see the same thing that I see via the web page

Thunderbird has its owner rendering engine - it can show "html email" right - this is just "html email".

My feed - only summaries, if you want the entire article you have to come to the page - and that is what thunderbird is doing - getting the source page - not displaying the feed contents.

I myself didn't like the page in thunderbird - I show the summary only and if interested - click on the "website" link thunderbird displays at the top of the message.

Fri Dec 23, 06:09:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Patrice Borne said....

I'm curious why people get so hung up about a browser.

Seems a bit of a funny thing o care about

I think the whole point about using another browser than IE is diversity. My wife uses a Mac, some people use Linux and I work on Windows and AIX (to run Oracle) and sometimes on OS X.

Why would you want everybody to work on XP and use IE to browse the web?

The world would be so boring if everything was the same everywhere.

On top of that, competition is always good to make a 600-pound gorilla move.

Fri Dec 23, 08:49:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I need more Mac users obviously
Actually, what we Mac users need is Oracle 10gR2 for Mac OS X 10.4.

Oh... And Oracle Express For Tiger too.

But I guess Oracle is hedging their bets at the moment and waiting for what hapens with regards to Apple and Intel.

But a clear statement (event if it was fram marketing!) would be nice.

Have a great Christmas Tom,
and keep up the good work -- both here and on Asktom.

Janus Christensen

Fri Dec 23, 10:41:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Alistair said....

I have a far more significant user base on MSIE, primarily because most of the traffic coming to my site is via search engines.

The traffic flowing from a search engine isn't that important in itself, until you realise what they are looking for - in my case, it is often ASP3 related content. So, it would seem that a lot of ASP developers use MSIE (apparently, I break the mould).


Fri Dec 23, 11:04:00 PM EST  

Anonymous TBarry said....

I'll second the comment from Janus. News on Oracle 10g R2 for Mac OS X would be welcome. Not that it's your department, Tom. I'm just saying... :-)

Sat Dec 24, 12:54:00 AM EST  

Blogger Pete_S said....

Any stats on RSS readers?
If you use Feedburner (and I gues you do as you need convert atom to work with Orablogs) then you can pick up stats from Feedburner... but it does miss those that read the atom feed directly

Sat Dec 24, 06:53:00 AM EST  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

Would you mind sharing the browser stats for asktom ? Thanks ...

- wdxTKptm

Sat Dec 24, 11:36:00 AM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I'd love to - however, I'd need someone to give me the regular expression filter that turns the USER_AGENT field into something "not so unique"

These stats came from statcounter - they roll them up. On asktom - I have thousands of unique USER_AGENT strings and haven't taken the time to "normalize" them.

Sat Dec 24, 12:09:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Paul said....

Tom - 'pet peeves' etc. In my experience the people who detest IE are the same people who love MySQL but hate Oracle. You must have seen the 'beardies' in Dilbert - we're not all like that you know.

Sat Dec 24, 12:13:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I don't detest IE, I just hate that I'm *forced* to use it from time to time because so many sites are IE "only".

Take the most open standard on the planet and make it so proprietary that my choice of OS and software is limited to "1"

I want to make travel? I have to be running windows, I have to be using IE. That I despise because many times I choose to be using neither.

So, I'm promoting "let's use many browsers" and keep the possibility of choice out there.

Sat Dec 24, 12:24:00 PM EST  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

turns the USER_AGENT field into something

Well, send me the "select distinct user_agent" (a zip of an exp of its CTAS in 10GR2 is probably the best) and I'll investigate the problem (after Xmas since I'm too busy attending parties - BTW Happy Xmas!)

Sat Dec 24, 12:49:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Holger Schweichler said....

<< I need more Mac users obviously… >>

Here' another one... Unfortunately I come by more often at the office where I'm still forced to use Windows... but at least using Firefox there too ;-)

Sun Dec 25, 07:22:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

One reason of high statistics for MSIE could be its integration with software. Lots of Windows applications use IE integrated into their solution. I dont think firefox has that capability as yet.

Mon Dec 26, 04:36:00 AM EST  

Anonymous J said....

Hmm ..

Still IE is lightweight ...

Mon Dec 26, 07:15:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anand Srinivasan said....

many of us probably have an innate desire to see the david take on the goliath and succeed. Firefox is slick and stable.. IE is backed by the giant which trampled Netscape..

Think about it. this preference has more to do with our psyche than technology.

Mon Dec 26, 08:54:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Gaurav Dey Purkayastha said....

I'm accessing your blog using Mozilla Firefox 1.5(beta). I have IE 6 installed as well on my primitive P III desktop. The reason I have two browsers installed is that I've noticed that whenever the internet connection is slow (I use 56K dial-up), IE connects better to most sites - Firefox simply times out of most sites complaining that they're taking too long to respond.

By the way, it's 01 01 2006 00:52 in India. Happy New Year to you, Tom and all other bloggers. May you all have a happy and PEACEFUL New Year.

Sat Dec 31, 02:23:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Todor Botev said....

Just wanted to say - in your queries you do not need the inline view - e.g. for the first query the following works, too:

select browser,
round(ratio_to_report (sum(cnt)) over() * 100, 2) pct
from t
group by browser
order by 2 desc;

I did not know the ratio_to_report function and I find it very usefull - Thanks!

Tue Jan 17, 12:39:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Eric Jexén said....

Need Oracle ex for OsX. It would be a grate alternative to MySql!

// Eric
System design & dev. University student

Wed Feb 15, 12:22:00 PM EST  


<< Home