27,614 questions after it started. 68,210 review/follow-ups later – it is time.
In addition to what the site does now, here is what I want to add:
- Non-fixed width screen. Right now I wrap at about 80 characters. Don’t even ask – I just did it that way – that is why. There will be a [code] thing to prevent wrapping – but it’d be nice to let some things wrap.
- Mixed fonts/markup – support for some “tags” like you see in various forums like [code], [b], [I], and so on. No, there shall be no smiley support whatsoever.
- Factoring out of all URL’s (so when they move the documentation on me AGAIN, I can just figure out a neat update)
- No more follow-ups after “n” units of time. That is – the closing of a question. I will allow an “emergency button” – because I despise wrong or misleading information. The emergency button will allow you to comment, and I’ll see it and either rectify it or provide you a response why I think it is OK the way it is (a dialog can ensue). This will let me take more new questions, but still preserve the mantra behind the site – that of “let’s get it right” (things change, I make mistakes).
- An upload feature, so when I request it - a button shall appear on your question page as we are going back and forth that will allow you to attach extra information like a big statspack or a trace file or an dmp file –whatever.
- This will be questionable – but I think I need to do it. In order to ask a question – it will be a two step process. You’ll input your question and then receive an email saying “click me” to have the question actually get submitted. I have about a 10% failure rate on email addresses.
- OTN “cookie” support – so if you are logged into OTN, I’ll already know who you are and fill that stuff in.
- WAP user interface (since I have a treo – this’ll be a mandatory feature indeed)
- Like to have a way to show you “what’s new since you last came here” support.
- The ability to create an “account” optionally – to let you store some preferences but mostly to let you change your EMAIL address so the “your questions” stuff works over time.
Part of what I want to do as well is “full disclosure” – I’ll publish the entire application after the fact (I hinted it would be nice to ‘open source’ it in another blog but go no takers on that idea :). I’d put the schema, API’s and htmldb application on htmldb’s studio site for download.
Ok, now your turn (I’ve forgotten many things I want to add – I’ll remember them and add them over time here…)
What would you change?
Question – should Q&A pages be broken into smaller pages or left “monolithic” pages as they are now?